Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Master Builder Academy

gruetzmacherdgruetzmacherd USA, WIMember Posts: 30
edited April 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I just spoke to a LEGO sales representative trying (unsuccessfully) to obtain a LEGO clearance set and she mentioned to me that the LEGO Master Builder Academy will be launched for pre-order this coming Sunday, May 1! She was unable to share pricing or other details with me, but referred me to mba.lego.com for more information.

I knew this was coming, but this is the first I heard of specific details.

Dominic

Comments

• pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    I am so there, credit card ready!!
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Looks good, but they sure are marketing it for kids with the whole "This section is for your parents."
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Looks reasonably well done. I'll be interested to find out the pricing in the next few days.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    I like the concept here - seems a bit more 'specialty' than the Brickmaster subscription it replaces. I think the price of $100 was bandied about, but that could have been idle speculation.

Once again, they're hooking me with the 'exclusive minifigures'... I like them a lot.
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    For me, in the UK, that URL just seems to get stuck in a country (re-)selection loop that drops you back at the LEGO front page.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Same here from the UK... All I could find was this page;
    http://club.lego.com/en-us/insidescoop/InsideScoopDetails.aspx?id=248589
    Disappointed: ...from the last line of the page at that link: "Get ready, because the all-new LEGO Master Builder Academy launches this June in the US with plans to expand to other markets next year!"
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,211
    ^ Yeah - it's blasted Brickmaster all over again, at least initially. I am destined to be tormented by that abomination, in one form or another, for all time I fear
  • JBird078JBird078 Member Posts: 5
    I just received my Lego Club May/June Magazine in the mail and it had Lego MBA pre-order information. Kit 1 is $29.99-US. It looks like this is for Kit 1 only. Information on the lego-mba website states that if you like this set, you have to subscribe to receive the next sets. The website is http://mba.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx I hope this information helps.
  • mrfootballmrfootball Member Posts: 84
    My son received this month's Star Wars Brickmaster exclusive. Great little Bounty Hunter Gunship. The magazine has improved a lot with lots of alternative builds and other interesting content. We'll miss Brickmaster (only 1 more issue to go July/Aug), but this new program looks interesting and we'll definitely sign-up for it.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    It seems to me that the only current way to get hold of 20019 and 20021 (ebay/bricklink aside) was via the Brickmaster subscription. My thinking is that it seems a pretty limited run for these sets (plus the one they will give away with the last issue), since a lot of people's subscriptions would already have expired. I think this may increase the chances of seeing these sets sold separately on [email protected], just like they did with 20009 and 20010.

Alternatively, they may decide to release a Best of Brickmaster 2011 like they did with 4633709, in which case, I'll be hitting up my US contacts to get hold of one for me like I did last time.
    Regarding the new Master Builder Academy, I'm thinking about asking a US contact to subscribe on my behalf and ship it over a couple of times a year.
    ^ Me too. @Rocao, what do you say ?!
    Cant you just get a US PO box with forwarding? Pretty much everyone in vancouver seems to have one, I've been told (since the choice of online retail is so much less in Canada), so I see no reason why UK people shouldnt.
    edited May 2011
    ^ Thanks for the tip, Si. I've never considered doing this, and wouldn't know where to start. Might be worth investigating, although to be honest I reckon it's more sociable to establish contacts in various places and help each other out !
    Yes, that's true, and I used to do the same with a mate in Syracuse. It's just a shame there's not much from the UK that's worth offering in return.
    ^ The Daily Mirror giveaways do give us some bargaining power, but in general I think you're right.
    ^ The Daily Mirror giveaways are our biggest ally for trading, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of cold hard cash. Stocking up on a few of 7696 has also gone down well with our US buddies.
    edited May 2011
    ^ The 30005 and 30006 SW poly bags in particular seem to be harder to find in the U.S.; I seem to accumulated quite a few of these, so if anyone wants to trade for the new Bounty Hunter gunship poly then let me know.....
  • gruetzmacherdgruetzmacherd USA, WIMember Posts: 30
    edited May 2011
    The MBA set (or rather sets) available now in the US:

Kit 1 ($29.99): http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=20200
    Kits 2-6 subscription ($69.99): http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=4659018&cn=245&d=100
    Grrrr...."Sorry, item is not available in this country: United Kingdom.". But we knew that anyway......

@Rocao............... Pretty please !

:-)
    ^^ it looks interesting, I'd like to get hold of it. Time to tap up my US contact me thinks...
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    I'm sure this set will be available elsewhere once MBA launches globally ... but in the meantime, I'd appreciate anyone in the US who can help me get one (@Rocao too? ;-) )
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Alrighty, here's what I understand...

The first kit is $29.99 and is avail online and in stores.

To get kits 2 thru 6, you have to subscribe which costs $69.99.

So I'm sure it would be easy enough to get you Kit 1 but how would we get each of you subscriptions? Is it ok to put you all at one address?
    ^ can one person in the US have multiple subscriptions? If so do that and then ship multiples of each kit to one person in the UK who will then redistribute. Full costs reimbursed of course.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I'll see what rocao finds out and I'll be sure to inquire at our local store next I go....
    ^^^ Fine to put us all at one address like you did with the recent shipment, @Yellowcastle - we'll sort ourself out at this end no problem like we did last time. I'm sure the 'usual suspects' + @atkinsar would be up for this if yourself +/- @rocao would be so kind....!
  • CrackseedCrackseed Member Posts: 90
    I could potentially help get some for any non-US folks too. I pre-ordered mine already but I'll post again if I can also help out :)
    ^^ yes, I'm up for it too please.
    edited May 2011
    ^^ Good for you, @Crackseed. This is the kind of thing that'll really reinforce the value of this forum, and I just hope that us non-US folks can return the favour at some point.
    I'm also checking with another Brickset member that I trade with (but is not on this forum) to see if he may be willing to help out. Just covering some bases here!
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Just got an email that VIP members get a free MBA pick-a-brick box with pre-order. Will post a pic when I get to my PC.
    I'm up for helping out non-US members acquire these sets as well.

MBA Pick-a-Brick terms and conditions:
    **FREE Pick a Brick box offer valid in the US only, on #20200 pre-orders, 05.01.11 - 05.20.11, for US LEGO VIP Members only. The source code displayed in the email must be entered at checkout at shop.LEGO.com. The box is good for a one-time use only at any LEGO Store in the United States. This box may be filled with the loose bricks and elements of your choice from the Pick a Brick wall. Box must close completely by inserting handles into box sides. Offer may not be used in conjunction with any other offer. Pick a Brick box promotion source code may not be used in conjunction with Star Wars promotion source code, 05.03.11 - 05.04.11. Offer cannot be redeemed prior to June 1, 2011. Offer expires August 31, 2011. Box has no retail value and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. Offer is not valid at LEGO.com, LEGOLAND Parks or LEGOLAND Discovery Centers. For a full list of LEGO Stores, please visit stores.LEGO.com. Code 4556658.
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    That is very tempting. Those boxes are great for stocking up on standard bricks in unusual colors. I've been sitting on $15 in VIP points that I might just use on this.
    Weird, I haven't received one of those emails yet :\
  • mrfootballmrfootball Member Posts: 84
    Will these be available at the Lego Store as well?
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    I don't plan on subscribing to the MBA thing, but am willing to do so on behalf of people not in the US. PM me if interested.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I would so love these sets, as someone newly out of the dark ages, I genuinely would like to learn the building skills this way.
    I'd love to trade with a US member for this?? I don't have anything in reserve, but I can get hold of the new promotional polybags and offer cash??
    I should be set up to offer some help for 1 or 2 members here on Brickset in the coming week :) This would be help with the MBA 1 and the follow-up sets.
    Alrighty - apologies for the double post. I can't order more then 1 subscription for 2-6 atm so I've only got mine lined up right now, but I can pick up 1-2 MBA #1's for some non-US peeps. Not sure who still needs, but if so post here or PM me and I will help ya out! :)
    I contacted LEGO Customer Service for more information on the nature of the MBA subscription and received this reply:

Kit 1 will be available as a stand alone kit until it is discontinued, which most likely won't happen for quite a bit of time. The first kit is $29.99 and comes with a brick separator, exclusive mini figure, and a tray to store pieces for the entire program (kits 1-6). The first kit is currently on preorder, and will start shipping in June.

Kits 2-6 are available as a subscription for $69.99. These kits are available to start shipping in July and will ship every other month (like the Brickmaster!). So if you signed up now for both Kit 1 and the subscription, you would receive a kit in June, July, September, November, January, and March. If you purchase the subscription later this year, you would still start with Kit 1. The Master Builder Academy is focused on advancing building skills, so it is fantastic that at any time you can start with the first kit and work your way up.
    It's interesting that Kit 1 will only be available as a stand-alone item for a limited amount of time, after which time the subscription will include Kits 1-6, and that the subscription to Kit 1-6 seems like it will be available even as more levels are introduced, unlike Brickmaster.
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 903
    For some reason I did not get that VIP email and it is not in the VIP promotions on lego.com. I placed my pre-order on the 3rd with no mention of that promotion, so it will be interesting to see if I get the pick-a-brick box when the set comes in.
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 903
    Contacted customer service and they added the PAB Box for me even though I already participated in the star wars promotion at the same time =)
  • ThisIsMyCupThisIsMyCup Member Posts: 156
    edited May 2011
    nevermind, i answered my own question.
    I submitted my pre-order today. The PaB box comes up as 'on backorder' which is odd...
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Spoke to LEGO (UK) today and they said they have received huge amounts of requests for the MBA in the UK and are looking to try to bring it out in Europe soon.
    No timescales or anything firm but just thought I would pass on the info.
    It really should be a global item or at least more available outside of the US - while I know a few of us are happy to help our non-US folks out, it would be much nicer for you all to be able to go directly to the source and frankly I think they'd make better profit too.
    ^^ Great news! I was just thinking about speaking to a couple of my US based friends but I'll hold off for now and see what happens in the UK.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    I must admit I am still going to get MBA from US (thanks Crackseed), just in case as its far from concrete that they will bring it out here. Its also kinda nice to trade, feels good to give our US friends a few goodies that are harder to come by over there :)