Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] LEGO Super Heroes - Toys R' US Build Event

collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
edited June 2012 in Shopping USA/Canada
Toys R' Us stores in the US are having a build event coming soon on Saturday 16th June between 2-4pm where by according to the website you can -

'Create your own Batman or Superman shield with LEGO bricks and take it home!'

Probably (hopefully) similar to the previous Harry Potter, Cars and Friends build events, which were nice little models but I can't find anymore details at present. These previous models have included instructions and maybe a sticker sheet.

Anyone passing by a TRU store this coming Saturday and can pick me one or more up for me and my friends, I'm sure I/we can find something very cool to trade?

Comments

• sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    A pic in the ad looked like a small mosaic of Superman's or Batman's logo was the creation. I'll post an image when I get to a real computer.
    Found a linkable image:
    If this is truly what is being built, and it's composed completely of 1x1 bricks, plates, or tiles, then I'll be there.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    I would really love to get one of each of these, if anyone in the US could help me out.
    I've got stuff to trade (polybags, CMFs...)
    Ta!
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    Not a bad model.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 674
    edited June 2012
    I'll have to see if I can get some of these...

These are usually limited to one per "parent and participating child," so it'll be hard to get one of each, let alone extras. Never hurts to try though.
    I got the flier today in the mail. Looks to be 1x___ plate construction on a 16x16 baseplate for each model. Simple.
  • AJRoperAJRoper Member Posts: 33
    These look interesting, does anyone know if they plan to do something similar in the uk? I know they do the flags at the discovery centre which are similar.
    I got the flier today in the mail. Looks to be 1x___ plate construction on a 16x16 baseplate for each model. Simple.
    You get mail on Sunday? :)

When you say 1x___ plate construction, do you mean it looks like some 1x2s, 1x4s, etc are used in addition to 1x1s?
    Maybe it arrived on Saturday. I didn't see it until Sunday. I'm bad with dates and times.

I'm not sure what all it's made of, you can't see division between the plates. I have to think it's made up of larger plates to cut down on the piece count, but it could also be all 1x1s. It's clearly made up of plates, at the very least.
    I found more detailed pics at the TRU store today. They appear to be 1x1 bricks. I'll be getting some of these. Dunno how many I can get. May have to wait until the event is over and see if there are remainders.

• hallows81hallows81 Member Posts: 130
    Don't know what they use as the plate but the single bricks would be £30.72 for both designs from Lego.com if you wanted to make one in the UK
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    Looks to be the same set-up as the Mosaic sets from a couple of years ago, 6163 and 6162. Those sets were made up of a trans clear 16 x 16 baseplate and all 1 x 1 bricks. Probably will come with a 'cheat sheet' - an overlay that shows the exact placement of each brick on the baseplate - to make it easy for the kids to build their superhero logo quickly.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    It would take forever for the kids to building using just an instruction sheet.
    Will it be the 2 minutes it took to put together the Friends Lemonade Stand? No. But forever will be about 15 minutes - or at least the amount of time it took my 5-year old to put together the heart mosaic from 6162, provided there is a cheat sheet. If you're pressed for time, do the Batman logo. The grey and yellow outline will be tricky for younger fingers, then voila! fill in the rest at will with black bricks.

Incidentally, it was also said 5-year old who pointed out the beauty of the cheat sheet. Me, I was still counting rows across and down, marking colours along the way.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Would also love to get hold of one of each if at all possible. Thanks!
  • rolvtdrolvtd Member Posts: 52
    For events like this, which specifically say "for kids only", how has Toys R Us reacted in the past to an AFOL wanting to get these kind of kits for themselves?
  • MunsonRoyEMunsonRoyE Member Posts: 3
    For events like this, which specifically say "for kids only", how has Toys R Us reacted in the past to an AFOL wanting to get these kind of kits for themselves?
    I have a two-year-old son, which gives me a good excuse. Last one they did I was able to get two with no problem. If I didn't have my son with me, I would just tell them I was getting one for him.
  • maesterjaymaesterjay Member Posts: 71
    that's what I've been wondering myself.... any AFOLs been denied at previous events?
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    I think it depends on your store. We went to two for the Friends event. One had everything sorted out in individual sets ready to give one to each child, though a friend managed to get one for her infant too. The other had all the boxes on the table and happily told us to take as many sets as we wanted for our friends.
  • jamiewjamiew Member Posts: 165
    Fun event. The tables were packed but they were letting the kids build one of each. Adults were allowed to build as well. I think the time it took to build probably discouraged most from doing both. Along with the shields builders also got a poster for the Lego batman video game and a Lego superheroes comic. I was hoping to build at least one for myself but the wife was getting impatient and I spent most of time helping the kids but they left happy so that's all that matters.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    Just got back..I'll post some pics soon. Like @jamiew said...fun event, packed to brim. We didn't get a poster but got the comic book and as many builds you wanted to take home. They let young and old build. All the kids seemed to have alotta' fun!
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 772
    Just got back from the TRU Lego event. Seemed busy enough...but I guess it always does when 5-6 kids/adults are working on a 8ft table. We showed up a little after 3pm(event here was from 2-4pm), and the TRU employee was keeping track of how many of each shield was being built. Her tallies at the half way point were 18 Batman & 15 Superman. We built 2 each. I'm in NE Iowa so it's never too busy.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    Went to my TRU at 3:15pm and was told that they had ran out within an hour of the start. The guy who was manning the table told me they could not stop the adults from grabbing/hoarding the bricks (they were not building, just taking the bricks from the boxes). Apparently it was total chaos at this TRU :).
  • adol7adol7 Member Posts: 150
    Thankfully there weren't too many kids as it took forever to stand there and build.
    That's pretty sad, Poochy. As tempting as it may be with a huge pile of bricks, I would've felt bad even taking one extra 1x1 brick that wasn't intended for the build.
    Our TRU set up a 2nd table, but they only had 1 set of those boxes of bricks, so we had to keep requesting more handfuls to the 2nd table. I don't think the TRU employees were too enthused with this method and how time consuming the build was. All the kids were saying "I give up" or "can we go now" a fourth of the way through. :p Meanwhile the parents are speed building for the sake of the people waiting in line.
  • MunsonRoyEMunsonRoyE Member Posts: 3
    Took my two-year-old son, and we had a blast. Wasn't too crazy. We were able to build both shields and they still had quite a few left by the time we left at 3:00. Mostly kids building, but I did notice a couple of adults working on their own shield. Might of bought something if TRU didn't have such crazy markup on their Lego toys.
    We ended up taking our dinner guests with us to TRU, hooray for AFOL friends! We got there a few minutes after it ended and both families made five each between the members, there were still bricks left for batman shields but the employees were really ready to pack up by then and sent us off with all remaining comic books and posters.

@collect_that I have a complete set for you if you haven't found someone else to get them for you and @lostintranslation I have a batman shield if you'd like it.
    @poochy...that's terrible. There should've been someone to keep the adults at bay and make sure the kids are taken care of first. My store (which I hate 'cause of their outrageous prices..ie:Attack at Weathertop $92.89) were actual pretty good at keeping everything runnin' smooth. We had 3 tables and enough bricks for everyone to build at least 2 for themselves and only a couple of adults got in to build. They kept it mainly for the kiddies. They even let me build my own mosaic too.
    imageimage
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,267
    @Jenni, how hard would it be to ship an extra poster and comic book?
    @russell844 I guess not hard. Haven't shipped a tube so no idea what postage would be. Comic book is same one from LEGO club magazine.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    @jenni: yes please! Thank you! :-)
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    @legoDad: I mentioned to them that they should consider doing something about this issue for the next event. That and we will be there at the start :).
  • MarkVMarkV Member Posts: 42
    We showed up at 315 - myself and my 3 and 8 year old. Plenty of bricks to go around and not that crowded. I asked the employee how busy they had been and she said the first hour had a pretty long line, but it died down after 45 minutes. Kids loved it and i think i will take the 8 yr old to the Legostore event next weekend to try out. We wanted to buy Ninjago "boosters" but they only had Jay so we bought him for $1 more than msrp (usimg a $3 off bday coupon) and went home.
    I brought the kids yesterday and we made it around 3:15. They only had one table, and it was quite crowded - partially due to two TRU employees sitting at it doing their own builds. WTF? So I had my six year old take his build to a table nearby being used to display Super Hero sets while I helped my three year old at one tiny corner area of the table. It took a while to build, as we wrestled for parts with everyone there. They did let me build one of my own - so we brought home a total of three. The builds were done on 16x16 white plates - which is nice, because that piece only comes in the large Friends house set. There wasn't an easy way for me to get more for others or I would have. We ran out of time to build any additional sets. They mentioned they had done 92 builds that day. I was able to get two uncut templates (as seen in legoDad's pics) if anyone is interested.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,267
    I took my niece yesterday and we got there a little before 3. They had three tables for people to build on plus kids were building on the floor. Me and my niece each got to build one, so she built Superman and I built Batman. They only had boxes of bricks for two tables, so I just grabbed a few handfuls of each color for us. The girl running it while we were there was very nice. She was letting anyone build one, but was pretty strict about it being one per person. She was excited about getting her break soon so she could build one of each for her own son. Between us she gave us one poster and one comic. Very well organized. We left about 3:20.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 817
    edited June 2012
    Couldn't make it yesterday because I was working the LEGO Store Grand Opening event in Elizabeth so I went to my TRU this morning and asked an employee if they had anything at all left over and he hooked me up with the last white plate, handfuls of bricks, the instructions, a poster, and a comic. Nice little Father's Day gift for me!
    edited June 2012
    It's too bad the baseplate is white, and not clear. Otherwise, just place the grid/cheat sheet below the baseplate (did they match up exactly? 6162 did), and you can see exactly where to place which colour brick fast without having to count.

And all those adults that cleaned out @Poochy's TRU, man, that's shameful.
  • ThisIsMyCupThisIsMyCup Member Posts: 156
    took awhile to build them both. my TRU had some already parted out and in a bag with the instructions. i took one of each so the we could build at home. anyone know the value of these? or would it be the instructions that hold the value?
    @streeker...yeah, I thought there would be a clear baseplate but most kids handled it pretty well. Just the real young ones needed help counting out the spaces. And they were cool there so you could do your own mosaic usin' their bricks.
    @ThisIsMyCup...not sure on the collectable value but those 1x1 are like a dime each and the base plate about $5 bucks. So bascially $30 bucks or so? Maybe with the instructions especially would make it a collectable as a set.