Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[Master thread] Help identifying parts, sets and minifigs

Comments

• Legojack10231Legojack10231 USAMember Posts: 71
    Thank you so much for sharing these tips. I will do some researching. I’m sure it will take me more than 30 seconds but at least it’s a start. Just need to get familiar with the website layout. 
    Thank you for the tip. I was able to find the set number using the sticker as a visual guide. 
    How about builds that don’t have a sticker as a visual guide? How would I find out which set number it belongs to? 
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 276
    If you can identify some pieces by element id, you can use http://www.spoofdata.com/setfinder/
    KungFuKenny
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,973
    edited March 24
    Here is the method I used to find the two sets. 

For the one on the left: 
    There wasn't a super unique part on this one, so I went with a more rare color. In this case, Dark Red. I searched Bricklink for 2x2 Tile, moved over to "Appears In" and see it listed in about 2400 sets. I did Ctrl-F and searched for Dark Red. I then looked over the pictures for a yellow car as there are quite a few sets with Dark Red 2x2 Tiles. A quick search showed #4949 as the only yellow car. 

For the one on the right:
    The piece that most stands out to me is the wheel. I searched "Wagon Wheel" on Bricklink. The wheel in your photo has 10 spokes. By looking at the pictures on Bricklink, I see that this is Wheel Wagon Huge (43mm D.). I clicked on that one, then went to "Appears In" and there are only 14 sets. I scrolled to the "Pearl Light Gray" and reduced that 14 sets to 2 sets. Then, after looking at the two possible sets, I saw the carriage matches the picture for #7092

It took me a lot of time and practice to refine my search processes, but usually can find most parts/sets now in a matter of a minute or less. Sometimes there are tricky ones that take longer. In bulk lots, you'll find sub-assemblies that you think are from a set, but were actually just bits and pieces the previous owner had put together. Those can be tough. But, keep at it and you'll be quick in no time!
    KungFuKennybandit778PyrobugMaffyDvanvonfullandhetplegofanmak0137
    Thank you so much for sharing all these tips. I’m gonna use them to find set numbers. #4949 doesn’t seem to match the yellow car I posted so this will be a good practice. 
    Haha, I promise I didn't post a wrong set number on purpose. Let me know if you can't find it and I can post the right number. 
    Hehe that’s fine. I’m stuck on this step...
    I hit F2 and nothing seems to happen. 
    I’m using both laptop and also use my iPhone. 
    You can use the search function, or you can simply scroll down until you see "Dark Red" sets. These are sets where White 2x2 tiles appear. 
    Okay I’ll try them. Thank you. 
    I was able to find it. Set 4939. Thanks for all the tip!
    What are these called? I tried wedge 4x2 but I didn’t see them on Bricklink. 
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,138
    edited March 25
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 607
    "Give a man a fish- you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish- you feed him for a lifetime."
    andhe
    A number of pages back in this topic, I began wondering if certain users were even attempting to look up their parts at all.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,111
    What are these called? I tried wedge 4x2 but I didn’t see them on Bricklink. 
    @bandit778 points out.

It can be confusing, but eventually you begin to 'get' bricklink naming terms and know the sort of words to search for. 
    Thank you bandit778 for looking up the Lego sets. I missed to mention that I wanted to research what sets they belong to. My challenge right now is knowing the brick name so I’m able to enter the right keywords to help me find the right Lego sets. I have a few more sets that I’m trying to complete. I’m sure I’ll have plenty to practice on. 
    ^That's the biggest learning curve as someone else mentioned. The more you use those systems and databases, the more you'll start to pick up the right terms and part names. I've spent more hours than I'd like to admit just browsing through Brickset and Bricklink parts databases to see what "type" any give part would be classified as. 

Minifigs become a whole different game as you start to learn what the different prints can be labeled as. I'm still learning in that arena. 

Again, when in doubt, post it here! But if you have the time, it can be a fun challenge to try and narrow a piece/set down. 

And don't forget to look for part numbers as well! If you can see the part number (usually on the underside of the part), you can type that into Bricklink and possibly narrow a set/part down too. This is less effective on common parts like bricks and plates, but can be very useful for unique parts that may only be found in a handful of sets. 
    KungFuKenny
    edited March 26
    Thank you bandit778 for looking up the Lego sets. I missed to mention that I wanted to research what sets they belong to. My challenge right now is knowing the brick name so I’m able to enter the right keywords to help me find the right Lego sets. I have a few more sets that I’m trying to complete. I’m sure I’ll have plenty to practice on. 
    Sorry, I was a bit too keen but being stickered parts they don't fall under the general part number rule as the part itself has a number but there is then an additional number for the sticker (take parts one and two, they are both the same part but the last two digits that reference the sticker are different) hence the reason I posted the links to the parts.
    The set numbers were just posted out of habit. For that I apologise, I didn't mean to spoil your fun.
     :(
    @Legojack10231.
    FYI, for future reference, when looking up wedged bricks on Bricklink, the dimensions used are the length and width of the part at the largest point that would cover studs if placed on a large plate. For example 16 studs length x 4 studs width (at the widest point) on parts 1and 2 in your picture.
    andheAstrobricksKungFuKenny
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,310
    edited March 27
    bandit778 said:
    @Legojack10231.
    FYI, for future reference, when looking up wedged bricks on Bricklink, the dimensions used are the length and width of the part at the largest point that would cover studs if placed on a large plate. For example 16 studs length x 4 studs width (at the widest point) on parts 1and 2 in your picture.
    And for many parts, searching by dimension can narrow things down quickly without needing to know the name. Examples would be “16 x 4 x 1”, or “12 x 3” based on the wedges you posted pics of.
    KungFuKennySwitchfoot55
    Thank you for the tips. I’ve been getting better at finding wedged bricks. It’s knowing the bricks names that’s challenging when one is still getting familiar with the the bricks. 
    I’m figuring out this partial build. I can search the grey wedged brick but that would give me a dozen sets. I’d like to use the brick I circled. Can you guys tell me the name of the brick and maybe a keyword like sticker or something but don’t tell me the set number of the build. I’m trying to practice my research skills. Thanks. 
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,525
    That would be in the "tile decorated" section. https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3069bps2#T=C
    “Tile decorated”. Thank you. I would never have thought of that. 
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,111
    edited March 28
    Looks like your better off with the wedge plate rather than the 61 the tile gives you... 😆 
    gelkster
    edited March 28
    In this case I'd look up the 1x2 trans red grille piece & see what sets it's in, then check out the inventor(ies) to see if the 1x2 decorated tile appears.

PS>> any tile with a design printed (not necessarily stickered) onto it is considered "decorated".
    Looking up the grille is a bad idea; it's in 62 sets 😖

I'm cross-referencing the 1x2 trans red grille, the 1x2 avionics tile, & the long black plate wedge & can't find diddly.
    andhe
  • tplegofantplegofan NJ USAMember Posts: 2
    This is one of my favorite things to do when I buy bulk bins of parts and sets.  Part of the fun is getting a great deal the other is playing detective.  @Legojack10231 you can also cross-reference the modified brick with the rail.  https://brickset.com/sets/containing-part-4211613
    gelkster
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,907
    @Legojack10231 FWIW the printed tile, trans-red radiator grille, the hinged piece, and the white 1x4 plate don't belong with the set that the other parts are from. 
    andhegelkster
    I’m figuring out this partial build. I can search the grey wedged brick but that would give me a dozen sets. I’d like to use the brick I circled. Can you guys tell me the name of the brick and maybe a keyword like sticker or something but don’t tell me the set number of the build. I’m trying to practice my research skills. Thanks. 
    It appears to be the cockpit area of #7656 with some modifications. 7656 doesn’t have the control panel, so the tile and grill were red herrings. I tracked it down based on parts 43721 and 2653.

BTW @Legojack10231, don’t forget to just look for the part numbers on the bottom of the parts. Most parts have them, and with good light and maybe a magnifier, you can read them. With the part number you don’t need to know what they’re called.

Finally, a reminder that bricklink has this great page for cross referencing parts to figure out what sets two or three parts came in together:
    https://www.bricklink.com/catalogIn.asp?viewMulti=Y
    andhegelkster
    edited March 28
    Looks like @560Heliport was (barely) ahead of me, as usual. But I bet he just looked at it and knew - no tedious part cross-referencing :)
    edited March 28
    nice @oldtodd33. That took some hunting :) 
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,907
    @Astrobricks I actually did know it! But I checked the instructions to be certain. I recently dismantled mine, so I guess I subconsciously recognized it!
    Astrobricks
    Thank you guys for all your input on the Lego research. Yes I start with the part number on the bottom of the brick but half the time I don’t see any builds that match in the “item appears in”. 
    On this the bottom bricks is 4856a but no set matches in the “item appears in” for the 4856a brick. I tried searching the tile under (tile 2 x 2 with groove with gauge ) but nothing shows up. I’d like to use the windscreen but don’t know the exact name for this type of windscreen. 
    I’m gonna try the cross referencing feature. I’m not tried it before. Thank you for mentioning that. 
    andhe
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,525
    I'm guessing set #6582
    gelksterlkliment2
    edited March 29
     I tried searching the tile under (tile 2 x 2 with groove with gauge ) but nothing shows up. 
    Try to be less specific in your descriptions when searching and use the 'more options' filters to narrow down the colours. 
    Searching for '2 x 2 Tile decorated' with a filter of 'White' and your piece comes up.

As you can see, the description comes up with gauges, hence the reason gauge didn't turn up the results you wanted (Bricklink doesn't search for variables of a word only the the specific words searched for).
    Thank you for these tips. I will definitely use them to refine my searches. 
    Hi, I’m trying to order multiple parts on Bricklink. Is there a way to enter multiple bricks and see which seller in the USA would have a match on a few bricks?
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,331
    edited March 31
    Hi, I’m trying to order multiple parts on Bricklink. Is there a way to enter multiple bricks and see which seller in the USA would have a match on a few bricks?
    Make a wanted list of the parts you need, specifying quantity, color, and new vs used.  Once the wanted list is set up, click “buy all” which will take you to a page with all the stores carrying your parts.  Filter for stores in the US.  To get the combo of stores with the cheapest possible prices use “auto select”.  

I often will start there, and then go and browse those stores to see if they have good prices on other pieces as well (although that has led me to purchasing large orders of parts that weren’t even on my wanted list to begin with!)
    bandit778Pyrobug560HeliportSwitchfoot55andhe
    For me, part of the fun of Bricklink is finding the perfect combination of sellers. I've started with the method @KungFuKenny mentioned above, found a single seller with all my required parts. But then, after analyzing other sellers more, have made orders from 3 different sellers with a load of additional parts, all for less than the original seller I found wanted (including shipping!). 

The downside is that it often takes me a long time to nail down the "perfect" combo, sometimes at the expense of someone else grabbing the part I needed and causing me to start all over. 

To each their own. I know many people that would just buy it immediately after the auto select. Have fun with it either way!
    PyrobugKungFuKennyandheMr_Crosslkliment2
    Thank you for these tips. This helps a lot finding the most parts in a few stores. 
  • CapsuleJCapsuleJ caMember Posts: 1
    edited April 4
    I currently finished cataloging a large amount of bricks however there were a few that didn't have part numbers and i was unable to find them by manual search. If you folks know the numbers of any of these (or if they are even Legos) it would be greatly appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/WxdtGFi
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 545
    Here's some of them - I've included the search terms I used as it looks like you could benefit from learning ways to find them. As well as Bricklink I use Rebrickable a lot as it's easy there to disable searching printed parts or restrict to one colour. 

33009 (book)
    600 (door)
    32294 (telephone)
    92338/4096 (chain+bar)
    30126 (feather)

• jason1976jason1976 LondonMember Posts: 143
    The white mast in the third pic is https://brickset.com/parts/6108866

The brown technic piece with 4 axles in the third pic is https://brickset.com/parts/4252456
  • PaulMPaulM LeedsMember Posts: 40
    Hi, don't suppose anyone recognizes any of these? Thanks in advance.