Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Novel Uses for CMF stands

plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
edited May 2012 in Building and Techniques
Ok, many of you are avid collectors of collectable minifigures. As you are all well aware, each one comes with a black, 3x4 flat stand. Anyone who has collected any amount of these will have about a million (or, more accurately, as many as they have CMF's...) of these hanging around. Apart from using them as ... minifig stands (come on, how boring is that?), has anyone else found any brilliant uses for them?

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,626
    I saw someone use them as tracks for a clone trooper tank. If I find the link again I'll try and post it. It was a huge thing, and remote controlled if I remember correctly.
  • scarecrow2400scarecrow2400 USAMember Posts: 99
    My daughter used them as a staircase for her mansion - but it's since been dismantled.
  • PepperPepper Wisconsin, USAMember Posts: 91
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,626
    @pepper yeah that's the one! Craziness!

(But think I got the remote controlled thing confused with another turbo tank I think).

• LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    @andhe is this the one? http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53721
    This was exactly what I was thinking about.
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    My daughter used them as a staircase for her mansion - but it's since been dismantled.
    That's an idea I also had for a building - would provide a clean-looking and dignified staircase ...

• plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    I thought of staircases, but I never had anywhere to build one... :P Would you stack them one or two at a time for staircases, then?
  • scarecrow2400scarecrow2400 USAMember Posts: 99
    @plasmodium - she stacked them one at a time. Really looked neat - sort of like an onyx staircase from an old fashioned movie.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,197
    I thought of staircases, but I never had anywhere to build one... :P Would you stack them one or two at a time for staircases, then?
    I've done the same. It depends how much space you have (just like in a real house!). I went two plates for each tread, since one per tread gives you a very shallow staircase so you need a long horizontal space if you need it to go up high.

• malleablemalleable USAMember Posts: 12
    I saw a great use for these stands at BrickFair 2011, as roof tiles: http://imgur.com/ZjXsX. I wish I could tell you the name of the builder.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    @malleable That IS a very good idea for them!
    ^^ The roof is a good idea. I'm glad I bought just over 100 of these at 3p each a couple of months back. I knew they would be good for something!
  • avoiceoreasonavoiceoreason Member Posts: 224
    I was trying to think of a use for these as well, and randomly, my son just walked in the room and showed me his beach-themed "Oasis of the Future" where he used the CMF stands as solar panels. Very creative and perfectly timed.
    Now there's an idea...
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    I used them on the spokes of a water mill, as paddles.
    I might be whipping a dead horse here, but what about the 'Team GB' ones? They have printing and stuff on them, which makes me think they should be useful for something, but I can't think what...
    Cleaning off and using as above?
    Olympic stairs.
    Scottlego667
    Let me guess. The next two suggestions are gonna be 'Olympic tank treads' and 'Olympic solar panels'.
    beegeedee
  • slovakiastephslovakiasteph USAMember Posts: 62
    I built a roof out of them... didn't take pictures, unfortunately. Still needed some work.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Or you can flog em to me!! I'll buy stands from ya for 10p ish if you have a bunch spare! Ta!
    So if I send you 150 ish spare stands, will you give me a free Olympics minifig? Just kidding. I don't have anything like that many...
    Hey, I'm open to offers - how many have you got? ;)
    Probably around twentyish, and most of them are probably my brother's. Is this a new use for CMF stands? Currency in the world of AFOLs? :P
    Bartering chips! :)
    edited August 2012
    I was only half joking when I said 'Olympic stairs'...

This is the beginning of my Modular homewares store.
    looks lush @caperberry
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    @caperberry That MOC says NPU all over. I love the tile floor, and the way you did the front door. The LIFE logo is awesome too.

Make sure to post some more pics when you're done.
    Cheers @Savage_Steel and @LegobrandonCP!
    Posted it unfinished as I won't be able to work on it again for a couple of months. Pretty happy with this ground floor, although the photos were really rushed and it's more cluttered than I anticipated.
    @caperberry: Looks great!

I think, if you were using them for roofs, you would also get a good effect if you overlapped them, perhaps even putting them horizontally (ie, 'landscape', as opposed to 'portrait' like most of the roofs I've seen made out of them). You could get a sort of slate/tiled roof that way, I think...
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    The problem is that I have a large number of plates but I need to find a way to use at least some of them.

I tried a few different key words on this site to do a search plus a few google searchs but the only thing I got in the search results was either about something else, was about the homemade minifigure stands, or the lego grab bag topic(omg, talk about ripping open old wounds).

I know I saw a discussion ages ago here but I can't remember how long ago or the topic name

thanks
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    They are great for making roofs, and a lot of people use them in their own custom-built minifigure stands. If you don't find any good use for them, you can always sell them on Bricklink. This is what I do, and they sell really well. Almost immediately after I list them. It's just a way to make some money to reinvest in the hobby...(c;
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    @Joseph - how do you do it? Are you just great at searching, or do you have some amazing memory of threads.

On topic. I got rid of my stands recently to a couple of bricksetters. Useless to me, and nice to give something back.
    CCC
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,169
    Could use theme as speedbumps for roads
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    ^ :-) I suppose lot of it is remembering if/what was in the previous discussion, but after you have a rough idea, a quick Google search (as the forum search feature is terrible) will almost always pull up what you're looking for. In this particular instance though, I just pulled it from the directory of useful forum threads.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    Joseph said:
    Jackpot! thanks. I tried the term "Minifigure stands" but that didn't work out.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I give them out at Halloween in lieu of candy.

"Hey kids, you're getting Lego!"
    *plop a minifigure stand in their bag*
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    ^ I wonder what makes the dentist richer- the cavities from all the candy, or the broken teeth from chewing on Lego minifig stands?
    prof1515 said:

I give them out at Halloween in lieu of candy.

"Hey kids, you're getting Lego!"
    *plop a minifigure stand in their bag*

That's what technic pins and part number #30187e are for.
    Joseph said:

^ :-) I suppose lot of it is remembering if/what was in the previous discussion, but after you have a rough idea, a quick Google search (as the forum search feature is terrible) will almost always pull up what you're looking for. In this particular instance though, I just pulled it from the directory of useful forum threads.

Wait, a thread I started is in the "Directory of useful forum threads"? I feel honoured! :-)
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    I just saw one other wonderful use for the stands. Check this out!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ted_andes/9683669135/
    The stands are on top, covering the long "nose" of the ship.
    Like someone said in the comments of that picture, they do add "texture" to it.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 654
    A bit hard to see, but I used them as a texture detail in the area above the front shell. The rest of the studs in that area are covered with tile.
  • Poisso3Poisso3 Member Posts: 196
    I have used the stands to make a chimney for my daughter's modified Olivia's House build we are working on. I just stacked enough of them to make the middle of the chimney stack.
  • minifigforlife_ltdminifigforlife_ltd Member Posts: 14
    I have Engraved 100 of them for use as wedding favours for an AFOL couple.
    plasmodiumkhmellymel
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 240
    They make great lids for 4x3 crates.
    FollowsCloselyJoseph