Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Star Wars UCS B-Wing

hippoeaterhippoeater Member Posts: 30
edited July 2012 in Collecting
I can't seem to find much information on this - release date, pictures, any known confirmed information. Curious if anyone has seen or heard much about it!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,418
    You've probably already seen this but:
    http://www.fbtb.net/2011/08/25/2012-exclusives-set-list-ucs-r2-d2-and-b-wing-included/
    That's about all that is known about it right now. Considering all the other sets have been released on that list, you have to imagine a press release (or picture/information leak) is coming very soon.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    ^ Woah, thanks for the link. Isn't it weird how the current UCS R2-D2 looks almost exactly like the image used in that article?
    edited May 2012
    No problem.
    It really is.. a few brick substitutions here and there to make it sleeker, but otherwise the same idea and mold. That being said, the new one still looks a whole lot better.
  • hippoeaterhippoeater Member Posts: 30
    I've seen on here that it's listed as UCS, but that site says that it isn't for sure...any clarification on this? :)

Thanks!
    I think is is going to be a UCS set, since the set number begins with a 10xxx. Just my guess though.
    It is going to be a UCS set. Notice that the title of the article is "2012 Exclusives Set List, UCS (?) R2-D2 and B-wing Included". This was a list of all the UCS and for modulars, exclusive, sets for 2012. Thus, the B-wing can be counted as a UCS.
    ^ But you don't know if the source is reliable or not.
    edited May 2012
    Considering that this piece of information was released (August 2011) well before all the other sets on the list were actually released (in 2012), and the fact that it has been right on all of them makes it, in my opinion, pretty reliable ;-)
  • effalconeffalcon Member Posts: 71
    Very keen on a UCS B-Wing.
    will buy for sure.
    ^Same here.
    I'm really excited to see - and obviously buy one! Does lego have a general release time that they usually announce and send to market their new products?

Is there a certain time we should expect to see a more formal announcement?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ Brickworld Chicago is usually a launch pad for new sets. 10221 Super Star Destroyer was "announced" at Brickworld last year. 10212 Imperial Shuttle the year before that. I'm guessing the B-Wing gets announced at Brickworld this year (June 13-17).
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    ^Hope so keen to know more. The 10xxx number relates to a lego exclusive set not nessasarily a ucs though obviously ucs is included in this range. On a previous discussion on the forum several months ago it was stated that the ucs b-wing would have power functions and be expensive as a result, I can not comment on the reliabilty of that information though.
    Rumoured release date is september same release window as the previous ucs sets mentioned (shuttle and SSD).
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    I have heard (for some time now), UK release date of October 1st, however these things can shift as per LoTRs.
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 811
    Pictures wll be leaked revealed in June and it is a UCS, both confirmed, Rotating cockpit confirmed everything else is unknown. Don't ask for my source as I would have to kill you ;-)
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,152
    Looks like my VIP points will be getting spent soon. How big will this be if it's minifig scale? Not that big i'm assuming unless the previous non UCS incarnations are way off scale.
    @cavegod thanks for the info, think it was you that revealed the information last time! is the cockpit rotation via power functions? and can we presume the s-foils will be PF aswell. I badly want this set!
    Pf was not confirmed although it was not denied either, i'd opt for it not having PF though.
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    Maybe PF can be retrofitted, similar to the Emerald Express.
    ^^ and ^ I'd prefer no PF simply for cost reasons and be given a choice just as the maersk train does which has the "option" and instructions to add retrospecitvly that way it can be added when I can afford it and can be bothered, that would be most welcome. I think minifig scale would be good but I forget the scale and size of the b-wing in relation to the pilot so not sure how feasable that is.
    Most likely gravitational cockpit rotation, Like Slave I - PF wing unfolding would be geet smart!
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^^I would welcome a minifig scale B-Wing (which would be completely feasible) as it would mean that model would (or should) be much cheaper than recent UCS offerings. A mini-fig scale B-Wing would be about 16.25" long, 2.8" wide and 7" tall with the S-Foils engaged, making it much smaller than the UCS Imperial Shuttle.
    y2josh: It's such a dainty craft - at your dimensions it wouldn't be much of a UCS set. On the one hand I want minifig scale, on the other, I want a big set - you can't really have both with the fighters though :(
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    Well, it's about time they brought in another UCS fighter-scale model. I am so curious what element(s) they use for the canopy.
    yeah i hope they have done it properly and not left the glass out, then we need an A-wing!
    ^good shout on the A-Wing.
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    Hopefully if it is minifig scale it would be around the $100-$150 range, similar to the Obi-Wan's Jedi Interceptor(though in minifig scale and not display scale). That would be an instabuy. Since they already have the SSD at the $400 range, and now the R2-D2 and shuttle at the $250 range, a lower priced UCS set is what we need.
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    Also, an A-wing would be awesome. I just feel they will do it display style like the Obi-Wan's fighter and it would suck. Plus, they did an A-wing with the Home One set recently, so I'm unsure if they will go that route.
    Thinking more about it we have only really seen the shuttle at true minifig scale and looking at previous ucs fighters over the years none of those are minfig scale so it will likely be display scale but I'm quite relaxed about the scale either way.

the shuttle was too small for minifig scale, display scale all the way and i have no doubt it will be.
  • effalconeffalcon Member Posts: 71
    would minifig scale be *that* much different to the existing B-Wing play sets?
    get the feeling this is going to be one tough set to display :P
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    Have Power Functions ever been added to any Licensed set?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ Do sets like the Unimog qualify for "licensed set"?
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    Wasn't one of the AT-ATs motorized? This one.

Did it really walk? :D
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    ^ and ^^ Well, there you have it, I've lost what was left of my cred here. ;o)
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 260
    ^^ Yes, it really walked. And pretty good too.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    would minifig scale be *that* much different to the existing B-Wing play sets?
    get the feeling this is going to be one tough set to display :P
    It would be nearly twice as large... so I'll say yes.
    Galactus: thats a matter of opinion. Mine walks like an arthritic terrier with parkinsons. It was good for a few steps then the gears seem to slightly misalign, causing the funny walk. Still my favourite bit of SW Lego though.
  • mattheww888mattheww888 Member Posts: 87
    @Galactus and @monkeyhanger,
    Mine walked well enough to scare the piss out of one of my dogs one night. I have to admit, it is the ugliest out of the 3 AT-ATs released.
    Matthew888: I think the latest incarnation is the worst, the legs are awful on it. For the motorised one, the body shape is a little inaccurate on the top to accomodate the carrying handle but I think it's pretty well proportioned otherwise. My Hoth shelf is probably my favourite - motorised AT-AT, AT-ST from Endor bunker, Wampa set, echo base and 6 each of the 2 hoth battlepacks.
    I'm betting this will be revealed at Brickworld...
  • mrfootballmrfootball Member Posts: 84
    Lego says they're going to unveil a big new set at Brick Fiesta in Houston July 7th and 8th...I think it'll be the UCS B-Wing.
    Hopefully only a couple of weeks and all the questions will answered. It's been a good year for sets so far and the recently announced haunted house is a another great set. The b-wing for me is the last one I want to see this year I am confident it will be good.
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    Hopefully only a couple of weeks and all the questions will answered. It's been a good year for sets so far and the recently announced haunted house is a another great set. The b-wing for me is the last one I want to see this year I am confident it will be good.
    Is it just me or does the haunted house look awfully small for 2000 pieces, its still an awesome looking set don't get me wrong but it just looks unusually small for quite a high part count, hopefully its just the pictures that makes it look small :)

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Pet shop is small for 2,000 parts, but that is because they are small parts which allows detail.

Don't tell anyone, but this is just a cool dollhouse for boys. :)
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    LOL.. Very true.
    So, nothing was announced at Brickworld about this? :<
  • NeopterygiiNeopterygii Member Posts: 12
    My guess is it will happen at BrickFiesta.

Special News from LEGO
    LEGO will be unveiling an exclusive set during the general assembly Friday afternoon (July 6th). This is a must-see! Only folks with convention and family memberships will be allowed to attend.
    http://www.brickfiesta.com/2012-brick-fiesta/events/special-events/
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    I am truly hoping that Lego returns to it's "true" UCS sets. Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter was a massive disappointment. Never would I have ever deemed that a UCS set, but Lego has said it is so it is. The Naboo Fighter was another huge disappointment too. In my opinion, in order to be a UCS set the set should have at least a 1000 pieces.

Including mini-figs with UCS sets is just pure lunacy. Leave those for the play sets. UCS sets are to be displayed in my opinion. Who the heck wants to see a couple mini-figs standing next to the SSD?

Ugh! Fingers crossed we return to the good old days.