Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Interesting survey from LEGO

korkor Member Posts: 392
edited April 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Has anyone else taken the most recent survey from LEGO? Most of the questions were centered around recycling and how to best reuse old pieces. There was even an option in one part about LEGO buying sets back and another about renting LEGO sets. I haven't taken a ton of their surveys but this was by far the most interesting. I had thought that due to the type of plastic they use that LEGO piece couldn't be recycled? I'm just wondering what direction they are considering here.....

Comments

• mkoeselmkoesel USAMember Posts: 97
    edited April 2011
    I think anything can be recycled in theory (except maybe nuclear waste? :) ). It's just that it is only cost effective to recycle certain materials. However, that is often a matter of infrastructure. It sounds like TLG is looking into the possibilities as far as being able reuse/recycle Lego.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Yeah, ABS is recyclable. The biggest issue with recycling plastics (actually recycling anything) is collecting and sorting the various types. Just a little bit of the wrong plastic can spoil the batch being recycled.

Nuclear waste can also be recycled; it is called fuel reprocessing.

Where is this survey you took?

• JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    I received an e-mail this morning with the survey. I believe that they are exploring ways to become more environmentally friendly. It is the wave of the future, like the give a hoot don't pollute campaign of the 70's. This will become more important for each consecutive generation. Better to start sooner than later.
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    Wait... who'd be crazy enough to recycle Lego bricks?! Is that really what they're getting at here?
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    ^ My thoughts exacty. Even if I had a pile of older , heavily played with piece I'd still slap them on ebay to get a few bucks out of them.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,215
    I have put Lego blocks/plates into the recycle bin (whether I was supposed to or not remains to be seen) because I have had tons of busted parts, burned parts, warped parts beyond use, or so chewed up (by dogs, or other) that they were not usable (even for charity) and I am not going to list them on eBay, because while base plates that are damaged still go for money, I doubt that bricks or plates would (or your get a neg feedback for selling crap parts... even if you list them as crap parts... and that is not worth it)
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    edited April 2011
    Even parts in a rubbish condition can be used as underpinnings for ladscaping, mountains, etc. I use them all the time. More importantly, can you recyle the Megabloks and Tyco bricks that you get in Ebay lots that are "99% Lego".

Post edited by @Matthew -26/04/11 07.38 GMT - Reason for Edit: Language
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^^ People put a lot of plastic that doesn't belong into recycle bins. Check your local recycling guidelines. Most places only process Type 1 and Type 2 plastic, that is PET (polyethylene) and HDPE (high-density polyethylene). Lego would be classified as other, Type 7.
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    I suppose if a brick is damaged beyond use or sale, you might want to recycle it, especially if LEGO is sending you a free replacement. Once I had a piece suddenly snap clean in half. I had a response from customer service quickly and a new part was shipped. I just chucked the broken piece in the bin, but it would have been better if it was recyclable.
  • colethegeekcolethegeek Member Posts: 12
    What I really think they should work on is making recyclable/bio-degradable boxes and bags. The bags take up so much space in my garbage can (anybody else notice the expanding bag monster emerging from trash after a good day of building?) I appreciate some box size changes I've been noticing as of late but the boxes are still shiny, which means they can't be recycled and that's another good chunk of space being taken up (although I do hold on to my boxes, but I know not everyone does).
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    How do the boxes being shiny stop you recycling them?
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    If they really want to save the environment they should improve the energy efficiency (ie reduce battery drain) of powerfunctions stuff.
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    edited May 2011
    I was wondering if all kinds of plastic are petroleum based. ABS is, as I've read from wikipedia, using 2 Kg to produce 1 Kg of the plastic.

Perhaps the desire to recycle these bricks is to answer the question of sustainability. I forgot about how long the world's oil reserves will last, though.

Until such time that sustainable alternative energy sources are discovered, much of the world is dependent on petroleum, and perhaps as the wells dry up, the prices will further increase: so the raw metrial for the plastic shoots up, followed by the price. I just wouldn't know if the recent oil crisis affected TLG.

I'd still love to hear about that survey...
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    Renting sounds alright, hiring it out for a week, would allow me to build it, and then decide whether I want to go out and actually buy it. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea.