Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Wanted: Cloud City Boba Fett

CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,260
edited May 2012 in Marketplace
Hello,

If anyone has the printed Boba Fett from set 10123 Cloud City, originally released in 2003, and is willing to trade or sell it, please contact me via my profile page here: http://www.brickset.com/profile/?CapnRex101 or here on the forum. If you wish to set up a trade, tell me what you are looking for and I will see what I can do, I have Collectable Minifigures and polybags to trade as well as plenty of complete sets and other loose Minifigures. I am based in the UK, but offers from worldwide are welcome.

Many thanks,

CapnRex101

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,333
    That is the most sought after and expensive Star Wars fig, along with the gold-chromed C-3PO, isn't it?

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=44417
    http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=70087

Ridiculous prices!
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,233
    @Huw, indeed it is!
    @CapnRex101, I have a few of them and would be interested to hear what your offer would be for one of them?
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,260
    @Huw - Does anyone know why? I realise it was in a fairly expensive and hard to find set, as well as being a lovely figure but it seems odd that it demands such a high price (I was already aware of the high prices) but I am not altogether very sure about why it is so costly, anyone got any ideas?
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,333
    My theory is that the set it came in was a LEGO exclusive, it was a bit rubbish, very highly priced for the time so didn't sell many. So, there are not many around.
    It was released in 2003, when LEGO Star Wars was still finding it's legs, was not a popular set (it really is complete rubbish) and for a $100 price tag, only contained 705 pieces. It actually was still relatively cheap on the aftermarket up until 2 or so years ago, when minifigure collectors started realizing the scarcity of the figures the set came with, due to the low number of volume sold.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    I understand the collecting part, but $250-$350 for a plastic minifig? There has to be a limit.
    ^Some people will stop at no bounds to complete their collection. Just imagine being a collector who has every single figure except for that.. one. Most are willing to pay through the roof to finish it off. Problem is, there's more than just that one collector looking to complete it, creating a solid market. But that's only for now. You have to imagine it roofs out at some point, at at roughly $300, you have to imagine it's sooner rather than later.
  • mattheww888mattheww888 Member Posts: 87
    I have the Cloud City set and I don't understand what the big fuss is all about. So he has specially painted parts. Big deal, right?
    I actually have the set from eBay and I quite like it. I bought it without the figures however, so now I am trying to collect them.
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291
    To those of you questioning the price I offer this: It's Boba Fett!! When it comes to Star Wars collectors, Fett is always the unicorn. See this vintage Kenner Star Wars figure price guide and have a little look at the price for a MOC (that is Mounted on Card - different acronym when applied to vintage Star Wars figs!) Boba Fett. You thought $300 was bad? Try $1300!!

Or how about the Holy Grail of all Star Wars figs? Vlixx! Only circulated in South America (for some weird reason), Vlixx was a character from the (very old) Droids animated TV show. Yeah, that's right - he's just some crappy character from a crappy spin-off cartoon. Find one mounted on card though and you're looking at $10,000+.

Some people think collectors are mad to pay such high prices for LEGO. But if they only knew the kind of price that collectible toys can command... Needless to say, after having a brief skim through the price guide linked above the $300 pricetag on Cloud City Boba surely doesn't seem that bad, eh?

:)

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^Ironically, before the new-style Boba Fett was released, I sold the Cloud City one off because I thought he looked awful (too busy for my tastes). This was back when the figure was only fetching in the low $100s and I thought people were insane to being paying that much for him.
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 683
    Managed to pick up a second-hand Cloud City set on eBay back in 2005 for £100, but only had a handful of figures. Got Lando and Boba elsewhere for a (in retrospect) reasonable price... only need the exclusive Princess Leia to complete my set. Don't suppose anyone out there would be willing to trade for one; would swap for a MISB Shirtless Darth Maul or MISB White Boba Fett (or Batman polybags)?
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,763
    I don't see why Boba is such an iconic character. He didn't do much in the OT - Han was handed to him on a plate and then he was pretty inconpetent in the fight on the skiff.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,329
    Its not not he did or didn't do, its just the way he looked - most kids in the 80's loved Vader and Fett.
    So now us 80's kids are grown up and we still think he's a cool looking dude.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,794
    ^ I agree. It's an incredibly well designed character in so many ways. Also, everybody loves a mysterious back story. I remember as a kid seeing his damaged armour and wondering what he had done in the past. Those were the days!
    Boba Fett was definitely the coolest character in the original trilogy. There was something of the mysterious stranger who bowls into town like Clint Eastwood. Another part of it was the gravelly voice (provided by Jeremy Bulloch): "He's no good to me dead," which - unfortunately - lost part of its appeal when it was re-dubbed for the Special Editions with the Kiwi guy who played Jango Fett and the clones.
    ^Jason Wingreen provided the voice for Boba Fett in the original theatrical release (and thus, also in the 1997 special edition).
    ^Jason Wingreen provided the voice for Boba Fett in the original theatrical release (and thus, also in the 1997 special edition).
    Just checked Star Wars wiki - you're right about Jason Wingreen doing the voice in the original films (Bulloch was the physical actor), but in the released Special Editions for DVD (2004) they definitely re-dubbed the lines by the Jango Fett dude, called Temuera Morrison...
    The original voice is far superior in my opinion, much more menacing and intimidating.
    edited May 2012
    Just checked Star Wars wiki - you're right about Jason Wingreen doing the voice in the original films (Bulloch was the physical actor), but in the released Special Editions for DVD (2004) they definitely re-dubbed the lines by the Jango Fett dude, called Temuera Morrison...
    Yup. It was a poor choice, but ultimately it's whatever Lucas wants. About the only change I liked on the DVD releases is that they FINALLY got rid of the horrible black line around the rancor.

Side note: Bulloch also played the Imperial officer that takes Leia hostage when Luke shows up.
  • TheJoker101TheJoker101 Member Posts: 17
    Sorry CapnRex101, I don't have this Minifigure. Sorry I can't help you.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,197
    ^ Will you stop bumping old threads for no reason.