Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

andycole: Hi from Bedfordshire

andycoleandycole Member Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in Introduce yourself
Hi, I'm Andy and I'm from Ampthill in Bedfordshire, UK. I found this forum while looking for info about the promo bags given away with UK newspapers. Looks like they've been doing it for years and I've missed out! I'm not a lego collector (yet) but I am a collector, I actually have a very nice collection of Nintendo Game & Watch (remember those?) and I have thought that minifigures and promo sets would be a nice, possibly cheap new thing to collect, so here I am!
p.s. I have an annual pass to Legoland (and all of the Merlin theme parks) so I'll be interested to hear of any exclusive deals or giveaways at Windsor!

Comments

• pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    Hi Andy,

I'm pretty new here aswell, so welcome from another newbie, also, who said it was going to be cheap?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,704
    Welcome. Steve beat me to it...."Who said it was cheap?"
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,524
    edited May 2012
    Get out, get out while you still can! Save yourself!

Ahem, welcome Andy !

Lego is a great item to collect (and play with :) but as the boys have said, not gonna be cheap. The Sun promo is a nice (sort of) exception to the rule. We have several die-hard polybag collectors on here who have been known to get into a frenzy when a new poly becomes available in a far-flung country and they need to find a local friend...actually I do that too.

And really, who can resist a promo minifig ? Not me, for sure, I've acquired 3 in one month.... need to have a nice quiet sit down now and agonize over whether to open them or not...[I'll open, I always open - but then, I am not a die-harder :-) ]

Hope you enjoy yourself on here!
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    Welcome to the slippery slope that is Lego Addiction!!

We're all on the 12-step program ... and most of those steps are to get to a Lego store, and the rest for running out of it with glee after our purchases!

Anyway, we're all very friendly ... so welcome!
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    I actually have a very nice collection of Nintendo Game & Watch (remember those?)
    I sure do, I sold my entire collection on Gumtree a few months ago to fuel my Lego habit !

• andycoleandycole Member Posts: 5
    ^ OK, so you'll know that G&W can fetch many thousands of pounds/dollars each, so I am well aware of the slipperiness of the slope! The difference between G&W and Lego, in my opinion, is that unless you are mega-rich and have loads of storage space, you have no hope of collecting EVERYTHING in lego, so why bother? With G&W, there were a fairly small number to collect, so more or less all collectors wanted to get them all, and paid handsomely for the privilege.

Having said that, hanging around on forums like this is usually enough to tempt you into buying something you previously weren't aware of :)

I quite like the idea of collecting minifigs and having them all on display in some kind of grandstand, though. 'Small things' are the best thing to collect, and you can't get much smaller, can you? I'd definitely open everything!

Andy
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,945
    Welcome to the slippery slope that is Lego Addiction!!
    I'd liken it more to a drop off a cliff face. You can fight against a slippery slope and stand a chance of winning.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,775
    While trying to prevent a large lorry from pushing you off.

You say it will be small....it never lasts :-D

• byolegobyolego Member Posts: 114
    You meant Swatch? Those are the good ol 90s....
    There is a Swatch store in a local mall and it is re-making vintage designs,
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    welcome Andy. can I also say I thought you had a superb eye for goal when you were in your premiership pomp.