Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

MOC Inspirations

stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
edited May 2012 in Building and Techniques
Just a quick question. Quite a few on here MOC and some people do incredible work. For example the Legorena is an awesome build and completely original. What made Steve build it?

I can name two bits of inspiration. The first was when I bought the Fire Temple cheap and was sorting out the parts. I had no intention of building it as a set. Then I saw the windows and thought I would make a Chinese restuaraunt style modular. The second was at my work flat when I was wandering through to the kitchen for a graze and then looked at the recently built pod racers on my 'Lego table'......clear technic links instantly formed a picture in my head of the flying bus in Superman II for my display at the Lego show.

What has inspired you guys to build?

Comments

• caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    I love those trans-Technics so much. Sometimes when I am alone I just stroke them. *sighs*

LEGO asked the same question in their recent AFOL survey, and I found it hard to answer really. I guess most of my work is inspired by pieces. I'll start by thinking "I want to use this piece" and see what comes. There's also a lot of "I have dozens of this piece. What happens when I stick them all together?"

It's less often that I come up with a concept and a vision of how something will look. But a lot of my builds are micro architecture of actual buildings, so the inspiration there is seeing a building that could work well in LEGO - often it is one particular feature that could be represented by a certain piece that sparks me to build.
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    edited May 2012
    @stagus: Probably 23 years of collecting various bits here and there and using what I had.
    It was only when I joined Brickish that I knew I wasnt alone out there and although I have loved looking at the train and space layouts, I thought not a lot of people had done a concert venue for the folks of Lego CITY and as it was built and ready to go, I thought why not exhibit?
    Plus, it was something that always interested me (building big and Metallica).
    It was quite humbling when we (me and Carol) exhibited at STEAM last October and the Lego show in may because of all the positive reactions from everybody who saw the arena. As I built it over the years, I never saw what all these fresh sets of eyes saw and was rather taken aback! Of course, being next to stagus and his layout, all I can say is wow and it was a pleasure looking after it on the Sunday. Cheers stagus
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    I would see simple Lego buildings, without a back and relatively simple, and think ... that'd look great expanded -- wider, upwards and backwards (and a back put on). Hence, my MOCs thus far have been based on two buildings from Town Plan ... and I am planning to MOC the TH by combining 2 sets and adding pieces I have from PaB.

My aim is to eventually MOC something completely original! Of course, whenever I go home to the UK and visit Steve, I am blown away by the sheer scale! Maybe I should build the smaller US-Legorena ...
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Though I've never got around to ACTUALLY making any big, amazing MOCs yet, it often occurs when I'm reading a book or watching a film or something-just yesterday I was reading The Fellowship Of The Ring (basically because of the Huw's reviews of the new sets), for example, and I thought to myself, "Gosh, I could make an amazing MOC of Tom Bombadil's house...", and I even got as far as planning how I could make the floors and walls look like they were made of flagstones and stuff...and then I thought "That would be really expensive...and it would take tons of time...plus Lego are already making Lord of the Rings stuff". That's what almost always happens with me, unfortunately. But one day. Maybe.
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    But there will not be a Tom Bombadil set as it was never included in the film. Apparently it was felt that a Tom Bombadil scene added little to the plot and would make the film unecessarily long!
    ^Very true! Perhaps my inspiration will indeed come to fruition!
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291
    But there will not be a Tom Bombadil set as it was never included in the film. Apparently it was felt that a Tom Bombadil scene added little to the plot and would make the film unecessarily long!
    I'll be honest: The House of Tom Bombadil is (and always shall be) the most boring part of the entire trilogy, in my eyes. Everytime I read Lord of the Rings (which I seem to do at least once or twice each year) I have a strong tendency to skip that entire section.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    ^ Amen to that. That section of the book is ghastly, IMHO... It's just so totally random and irrelevant, you wonder what J. R. R. was thinking. Maybe a dodgy kebab the night before ?

:-)
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    edited May 2012
    @SpaceCake SOOOOO agree with your observation. I found Tom Bombadil extremely boring. I almost didn't go see the first movie cause I figured it was in the movie and I may fall asleep :) and miss the rest of movie. Lol
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291
    ^ Amen to that. That section of the book is ghastly, IMHO... It's just so totally random and irrelevant, you wonder what J. R. R. was thinking. Maybe a dodgy kebab the night before ?

@SpaceCake SOOOOO agree with your observation. I found Tom Bombadil extremely boring. I almost didn't go see the first movie cause I figured it was in the movie and I may fall asleep :) and miss the rest of movie. Lol
    Yeeeah! You guys know the score!

;D
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,767
    edited May 2012

Yeeeah! You guys know the score!

;D
    So you will all be pleased to know that they did film the Tom Bombadil scene and they have another 4 hours of filmed footage. And its been threatened that it will go into the 50th anniversary edition. Although it maybe that Peter Jackson had his tounge firmly in cheek when he threatened that.

As for what inspires me. Generally if its for a window display its about talking to the owner about what they want and then going away to try and put what they have told me into action and see what I can make work. And then doing a big back and forth to get it working. For personal pleasure its what are the things that I like and how cool will it be to see it in lego and on my shelf. I like problem solving so trying to work something out in lego is always satisfying and proberbly drives me to MOC more than anything else. Plus I love the slight high after building something.

• mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 834
    My MOCing skills are rather in their infancy (due to lack of space/organisation and an actual infant!) but I get inspiration both from the sets I buy - the Prince ofr Persia sets certainly provide the fodder for some Middle-Eastern style MOCs, and everyday stuff that I see around - European cities and their architecture, especially Amsterdam, provide some great thoughts for modular buildings!
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    What has inspired you guys to build?
    Sci-fi art resources - books like the annual 'Spectrum' collections, 'Art Of ...' film/game production design books, other sci-fi art books; sites like 'Concept Ships', Deviant Art and artist's own sites; etc.
  • Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 360
    A fantastic holiday in Newquay

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/322815
    edited May 2012
    I said 'books' earlier, and I guess movies etc fall into that as well, but another one just popped into my mind. What about old Lego themes? Just the other day I had an idea for making a sort of extension of some of the classic space themes: Imagine a giant space-frigate thing in the '79 blue, grey and trans-yellow colour scheme...
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited June 2012
    My biggest source of inspiration has been seeing other folks brilliant MOCs. Such as this Star Wars one by a 16 yr old, crikeys!

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/unplugged/star-wars-escher-lego-nerd-nirvana-211625668.html

Also like diorama MOCs such as new member @LegoLoverman and the beautiful space station corridors and bays on his Flickr. The greebling techniques he used looked awesome on the walls and under-belly of the various ships.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    There are two ways I've approached MOCs. One is to have an idea for an outcome and then figure out the details of how to make it work. For instance, when I got Hobby Train #10183 I wanted to build large diesel locomotive. I had a particular look I wanted that was based on trains I have seen in real life and not the models in the instructions. The other way is to see an existing set and want to change deficiencies. For instance, when I saw City Harbor #7994 I thought the cabin section was way too small for the size of the hull. In both cases I then went on to try to piece together something from the parts I had. I would build and as I went along kept revising the design until I liked the outcome.
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 268
    edited June 2012
    Pixar's movies/art books inspire me.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 280
    Life.
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    ^deep. ;)
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    ^deep life :D
    I liken MOC to a jigsaw puzzle without instructions. You know roughly how it ends but it's up to you how you get there :)
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    The Gothic architecture class I took in college. I have some partial cathedral models in MLCad, and the beginnings of a physical one on my table. Now with a little time and many visits to Pab and Bricklink ...
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    edited June 2012
    For me - it's things that are quite niche that you know will never be popular enough to be mainstream, but you still want to see them enough to consider the build.

I've especially been thinking about a 'Secret of Monkey Island' build recently using existing PotC and Pirates parts. I just need to decide what I want to build, plan it, and then buy the parts. I don't want to go the custom route, so I need to find minifig parts close enough to build Guybrush, LeChuck and Elaine at least!
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I love Modding - often I do a build of a regular set and I think 'I could do this so much better' so I usually finish the build, then either disassemble it and start again or add/ amend. Sometimes it gets carried away!

Sometimes I have lots of various ideas which sort of converge - I keep a container with various noodling and ideas, and sometimes a theme starts to develop and they sort of become a single model.

Other times I just have a grand idea, like doing a double decker 12 platform station, and it gets built in stages, usually until I run out of inspiration or hit a problem (e.g. how to get the technics frame to be rigid!)

Other times I end up with tons of sets or pieces - usually because of a good price - and as part of the mental process of justifying buying loads of them, invent this idea for what I'm going to do with them all. Then usually when I get to start building my tyre factory or whatever it is, sanity finally hits me and I think 'why the hell do I want to spend my time building one of these?'. The answer to which is generally 'I don't, it was cheap though!'
  • FizzlemesexyFizzlemesexy Member Posts: 123
    edited December 2012
    -What do you typically do with all your LEGO?

Do you consider yourself a collector or a builder? Is there a LEGO builder you look at for inspiration? If you create MOCs, what's your favorite creation? Feel free to post pictures of your best builds.

I've always tried to make a MOC here or there but I typically don't have time to complete most of them. I wish I could do more. I have a castle waiting to be built. So I consider myself a collector rather than a builder.

I actually like to look at Eilonwy77 on flickr. When I first saw her mosaic work two years ago I was blown away. If you have your own MOC or someone who inspires you, feel free to share. I love looking at MOCs =]
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 821
    I'm a collector and builder, I have lots of boxes with spare lego inside them, I tend to buy the pieces separately rather than knockdown my wonderful sets but in my spare time I build some MOC's sometimes if I'm lucky my MOC will be good but most of them are pretty sh*t because it is too small, I need more lego and more room. :)
    edited November 2012
    A bit of both! :) the Statue of Liberty was built by my wife.
    JBricks27
  • atxleeatxlee Member Posts: 145
    How do you find what you need in those boxes!

Great looking Statute of Liberty you have there. More pics of it please...
    edited November 2012
    Really liking your wifey's Liberty!
    dimefield
    Nice liberty, I need your address to rob your amazing lego room LOL
    I'd love it if had a room dedicated to lego, when I win the lottery :)
    edited November 2012
    @atxlee I sort into type ie 1x xxxxxplates, 2x xxxxxxx plates etc...!rather than size, colour and such.
    Plus it keeps me fit moving the boxes, guarenteed that the part im after is in one of the lower bixes aswell! but it's the stuff you can't see. Under the liberty there are three bins (garbage cans!) full of two x 2,3,4 etc.....bricks plus about six more storage boxes full of the likes of technic and stuff I don't use that often, then in the other garage, well, we won't go there today!

@BrickDancer and @kez
    I'm crap at putting up links but my wife is Mrs Wobblehead on Flickr were there are more pics of Liberty.
    She is made up you like it by the way!

@kez that room was specifically built because we ran out of room in the other garage, but as I say, we're not going there today!!!!!!
    ^ other garage OMG :)
    @kez Indeed!

Mrs Wobblehead has taught me how post the link, so here it is-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157627889863947/
    ^Wow it looks extra nice up-close, absolutely stunning in old Glory's colors. This is now on my 'To-do' list for the new year (along with your wife's fantastic GB Olympic display from months ago).
    givmellis
    @BrickDancer she was gobsmacked that someone on E-bay copied her design for the team GB case and was selling it got £75 or £100 with figures!
    Cheeky b#####d!
    But she has loved all the comments, thanks guys.
    Her great work is an inspiration. It was a beautiful design for the GB case, so I can see how he was able to sell it. But if that was me, I wouldn't have let it go for so cheap ;)
  • weaselkingweaselking Member Posts: 61
    edited November 2012
    I'm a collector, but the only items I still have sealed are simply the ones I haven't gotten around to building yet. I'll display them for a while then they go into bags. Every once in a while I'll rotate.

In my spare time I'm trying to follow my kids around in an attempt to keep all the pieces together. A never-ending struggle. (It's the OCD in me!) :)
    Oldfan
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    I'm a collector, but I'm looking forward to becoming a builder as well! I lived in a really small apartment for two years, and I simply didn't have the room to build and display. Almost all of my Lego sets have been in storage.

In january I'm moving to a larger place = finally some room for my collection! Not as much as some of you here might have, but still much better than having all of it in storage..