Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

So glad I found this site..

BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
edited May 2012 in Forum Operation
Had no idea there were adult fans of Lego up until a few months ago. I had looked at the Lego message boards, with threads titled "Who's awesomer, Yoda or Dumbledore?". Nice to find a place with some good Lego conversation.

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Welcome! Enjoy your time coming out of your dark ages, your bank account sure won't! :)

Yes, this is a great forum with adults who, for the most part, actually act like adults. The admins here do a great job keeping everything civil and we generally have a great time.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    edited May 2012
    "oooh, oooh, oooh, gotta be Yoda, coz e's green innit!"

Only joking, obviously! Glad you are here and enjoying :)

Gotta second LFT, the admin's do an awesome job, but in general everyone here is grown up and respectful, and share our common passion.

Again, welcome on board!

Confirmed Accuracy of Statements Above: YC 5-16-12
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    Yes, my bank account has suffered great losses in the last few months! Such a fun hobby though, and having a supportive wife helps. And by being supportive, I mean she hasn't killed me yet when looking at my debit card purchases!

My dark ages have lasted so long I couldn't even tell you the last set I bought.. Probably something in the mid 80's.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,764
    If the wife ever moans about the cost of my latest purchase, I remind her that when she buys a new handbag she doesn't need, it won't appreciate when it goes EOL, unlike the Lego.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    ^ Actually, if you buy the right ones, they will :P
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,692
    ^Anounacing a hidden talent?
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    It's the really banal conversation on this site that attracted me ;0)

Welcome to the sanity house!
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,135
    This site has gotten so much better since last year because of this forum. It was pretty awesome before, but this truly has pushed it over the edge. Has everyone on this board also discovered Bricklink... that may be the real reason for the big hits on people's wallet.
  • LovaqueroLovaquero Member Posts: 23
    ^ Yes. Only I discovered BL first. The hit was only the much worse when I made my way over here and could find out about all those "I. MUST. HAVE. IT!" sets, past, present and future.

Huw is not on the list of people my wife likes right now =)
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,334
    Welcome... sounds like I need to go into hiding :-)
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    I was pretty much just a Bricklinker to start. Buying sets only increased exponentially this year... oddly enough, so has my use of Brickset :O)
  • legos4everlegos4ever Member Posts: 45
    "oooh, oooh, oooh, gotta be Yoda, coz e's green innit!"

Only joking, obviously! Glad you are here and enjoying :)

Gotta second LFT, the admin's do an awesome job, but in general everyone here is grown up and respectful, and share our common passion.

Again, welcome on board!

Confirmed Accuracy of Statements Above: YC 5-16-12
    oh i know yoda is more best than dumbledore :)
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291
    Yup. For any LEGO fan it is an ever-growing Bible of information and a true sanctury for people who want to share their thoughts. Especially for those of us who don't have supportive/remotely interested friends and family!
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,490
    ^ Aww. That's a bit sad :'-(

I'm going to join the virtual Brickset love-in. @Huw is the man, the admin and mods are ace (even @Matthew, as you haven't said anything mean to me of late ;-), and I have made loads of wonderful friends across the world here.
    Oh, and I have learnt loads and spent even more :-)
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,334
    I'm starting to blush now...
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited May 2012
    ^^ Haven't I? *starts thinking of insults*

^^^^ Talking of insults...

Oh, and welcome to the forum @BoiseState :-)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    edited May 2012
    ^^ That's just your cape. ;o)
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    I'm not the most active poster here, but I have to see this is easily the best Lego forum on the net, and certainly the best forum I visit. I've never needed to visit another site for news, help with problems, etc. Huw and the guys here really have done a spectacular job.

Also I'm with @SpaceCake. I have no-one to share my hobby with, so it's good to have somewhere to do it!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Same here, love to visit Brickset every 5 minutes, almost out of habit for the next bit of news or funny comment. You all are my support system for Lego Anonymous, or my 'Lego Penpals' as my girlfriend refers to. No one else understands my affliction quite as well as you all here... Glad to have Brickset riding shotgun on this journey down the Lego brick road...
  • willkfwongwillkfwong Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 44
    ^ I also have no one to share my hobby with since coming out of the dark ages in Nov 2011. I love brickset!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Same timing here, its been an amazing 6 months so far on Brickset. But nothing compares to how popping this forum was during the run-up to Black Friday and After-Christmas sales. The excitement was palpable with reports coming in every other minute for stores across all corners of the States, everyone helping each other to score amazing deals at Walmart/Target. That was something special.
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    Indeed! Great place to meet like-minded fans ... and to compare and discover that at least you hadn't spent the most last week/month/year, etc ...

People at work love the minifig displays on my shelves, "Fallingwater" on the desk and the Lego Library I had displayed in the library (for National Library week - the librarian asked me if I could bring it in to display!).
  • LegoPodcasterLegoPodcaster Member Posts: 115
    I'm not the most active poster here, but I have to see this is easily the best Lego forum on the net, and certainly the best forum I visit. I've never needed to visit another site for news, help with problems, etc. Huw and the guys here really have done a spectacular job.

Also I'm with @SpaceCake. I have no-one to share my hobby with, so it's good to have somewhere to do it!

Yes! These are by far the best forums on any Lego site.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719

What I really enjoy about this site is that, for the most part, people generally impart their thoughts/ideas in an articulate and logical/rational manner, with correct spelling and grammar. Until I sold my car recently, I had frequented a Corvette forum, and it was taxing to try to read through some of the posts written by some (not all) of the people there. In contrast, it's so refreshing to be able to share a hobby (Lego) with people who are, by and large, intelligent.

I also really appreciate the Brickset database. It's been a huge help in getting me up to speed with what I missed during the dark ages (wife might have a different opinion)!
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 611
    Brickset is by far my favorite site for tracking my sets online; the interface is easy to use and the information is very up-to-date thanks to the rabidly active contributors. I think I actually signed up several years ago when it didn't have all the current features, but I didn't really start using the site to track my sets until last year.

I initially used Lugnet and Peeron to track sets, and still do even though those sites are not nearly as up to date, and I also use Peeron to track my loose parts inventory. Even though Bricklink has more complete and up-to-date inventories, the user interface is not quite as friendly as Peeron's, and the inventories still aren't perfect despite the very dedicated efforts of the staff and users. Bricklink's contributors are very knowledgeable concerning the variety of bricks available (both past and present) as well.

In my opinion, using Brickset for tracking set lists, Bricklink for researching and purchasing used Lego, and Peeron (once fully updated) for tracking parts inventories represent the best combination of Lego fan sites to assist you if you're serious about collecting Lego to any degree. Each site executes very well to their respective strengths. I think once the three sites begin to more fully collaborate with each other's data (similar to how Brickset can currently link to Bricklink's minifig inventory), I'll be in plastic brick heaven! (And yes, I know that might be asking too much, and I know the topic's been discussed ad naseum, but still...)
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Praise Jesus! This place allowed me to finally break my Gunbroker forums addiction...
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,470
    Yeah it really is fantastic to have a haven of like-minded Lego fans. My wife tries to smile and nod when I talk about my hobby but this is much better for both of our sakes
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 250
    I agree. This forum has been a great addition but the bane of my wallet- though I probably would have spent the same amount and just have less to show for it, so thanks
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    Yup, same here. Yahoo!, igoogle, FB, and Brickset are visited constantly. Need to get me LEGO fix daily!
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    According to Google Chrome, Brickset is my most visited webpage EVER. Following that is Toys N Bricks, Facebook, YouTube, TBB, Eurobricks and Hotmail. :) I love Brickset.
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    ^ I also have no one to share my hobby with since coming out of the dark ages in Nov 2011. I love brickset!
    Same time period for me but I was fortunate enough that I had one friend to share the hobby with as we both have children the same age and got into it at the same time. Neither one of us were on brickset or knew what was ahead for us. I'm also in the process of converting at least 2 co-workers! Both are now on here and 1 has actually surpassed me in sets.

Brickset has definitely been the biggest contributing factor to the rapid escalation of my appreciation for the hobby. It's terrible the amount I check this website on a daily basis.

I have to remember to keep clicking the links when I go to purchase! Forgot AGAIN today!
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Speaking for the gals, there are a few of us here who believe Lego is as much for us as for these very vocal guys. The forums welcome us as well, while I speak only for myself, i think the forums here serve the community well. As a grandmother I'm thrilled to have an adult community that doesn't treat me like I'm a little off because I enjoy building with Lego instead of doing jigsaw or crossword puzzles! My debit card suffers the same fate as the rest of you, but my spouse has the same Lego addiction as me which makes it doubly dangerous!

Welcome to the forums BoiseState.
  • mnbvcmnbvc Member Posts: 134
    @andyscouse - do you have a link to some pictures of your Lego library? I'd love to see what it looks like. :)
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    @mnbvc ... here is the link to the Classical Lego Library - enjoy!
  • mnbvcmnbvc Member Posts: 134
    Brilliant, thanks mate! :)