Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

AFOL meeting in London (UK)

mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
edited May 2012 in Community and Events
Hi all,

In a different thread, the idea came up to have an AFOL meeting in London. We were thinking about meeting an evening or afternoon somewhere close to Westfield Shepherd's Bush or Westfield Stratford for obvious reasons, then retire to a pub or restaurant. We could drool over latest finds in grab bags, trade bricks or polybags, just talk, have an impromptu MOC session, etc. etc.

I will create a doodle poll later on, but for now it would be great to know who's interested and what days of the week it would work best (Friday/weekends, or during the week?). I somewhat loosely suggest mid-June as date.

Best,
M.

Comments

• GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 729
    Sounds fun.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    I am interested :)
    I'd prefer to avoid Mondays and Tuesdays, but could probably work something out if necessary. Ok for weekends in principle but it would depend on the exact date.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,768
    Yeah I am the same tuesday to friday is difficult but can do saturday or sunday with enough notice.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Weekends are easiest but I can scam time off work for essentials like this :O) My preference is for Stratford purely for the friendliness of staff, but happy to go to either.

I know it's a bit soon but what do folks think about 2 June? Keen to get my Sopwith Camel :O)
    edited May 2012
    ^ I could do 2nd June!
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    Why London of all places :(
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291
    What is the age bracket for an AFOL? I'd love to come along but I think I'd feel like an outcast if you all turn out to be a couple of decades older than me.

:P
  • JessyDooDahJessyDooDah UK Member Posts: 228
    2nd June is the Bank Holiday weekend, and I'm going to be away, but I am free most evenings during the week. :)
    edited May 2012
    ^^ I'm still in my 20s... (just!) :P
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,768
    Im 24 but talking on the internet i dont feel young so should be fine in person.

2nd June is okay with me.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Im up for it.
    Lets do a doodle.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited May 2012
    I am also interested, but more difficult at a weekend (given I have to come into town all week, and family might not welcome me heading off again at the w/e). So my preference would be a weekday afternoon / early evening to grab some - well, grab bags - and then a beer / bite to eat somewhere.

I work near St Paul's so access to Stratford or Shepherd's Bush pretty straightforward (if the Central Line's working!). It'd be easy enough for me to knock off a little early on the right day, but appeciate others will be coming further though and may not have the flexibility.

What time do the Lego Stores stay open until during the week?
  • ThezoofoxThezoofox Member Posts: 185
    I'm in. I'm on holiday from work most of june, however couldn't make it the days england are playing. Or the day after come to think of it!
  • monte_netmonte_net Member Posts: 97
    I am in. Mid June should be fine with me.
    I think its 8pm, @luckyruss
    http://stores.lego.com/en-US/default.aspx#

Westfield London Shopping Centre

Opening Hours
    Mon - Wed 10am - 9pm
    Thu - Fri 10am - 10pm
    Sat 9am - 9pm
    Sun 12pm - 6pm

Westfield Stratford Shopping Centre

Opening Hours
    Mon - Fri 10am - 9pm
    Sat 9am - 9pm
    Sun 12pm - 6pm
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    edited May 2012
    Hi all,

Ok, I reduced the options a bit to keep things simple. I'm a fan of simple doodle polls, and we can always change things for a followup meeting.

Opening times:
    See @LostInTranslation 's post and:
    http://uk.westfield.com/london/centre-information
    http://uk.westfield.com/stratfordcity/centre-information

Age bracket:
    If you can ride the tube without supervision and can enter a pub alone, you're old enough to attend, in my opinion. "Adult Fan of Lego" is a little bit of a contradiction in itself anyway. ;)

In the spirit of keeping the number of options down, let's simply go to Shepherd's Bush. I believe it's a slightly bigger Lego store and might be easier to get to. Also, there are lots of venues for a drink afterwards. We can go to Stratford next time.

We'll decide on an exact meeting spot once we have confirmed a date. We can meet at the Lego store or, maybe more comfortably, in a cafe.

Date:
    Turns out that this will be more difficult than first thought, considering the European Football Championships and the upcoming bank holiday weekend. I'm afraid we probably won't find a date which suits all of us. Let me suggest the following dates:

24 May, 25 May, 26 May, 27 May, 14 June, 15 June, 16 June, 17 June.

Find the doodle poll here: http://www.doodle.com/h7y748qtagp4bgd7

If you're a football fan, compare any dates with the UEFA tournament calendar: http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2012/tournament-calendar/index.html

My apologies in advance to anybody for which none of the dates fit. I am sure that we will have more meetings in the future, and I'm more than happy to alternate days, locations, etc.

Best,
    M.

P.S.: I didn't pay attention to the category when I started this thread. Can somebody with enough access please change it to "Community and Events"?
    Super organisation and decision making there, @mressin! Actually I now concur on Shep Bush; it is a weeny bit bigger and it is MUCH less crowded!

I met a couple of London AFOLs at AFOLCon who are not Bricksetters (I don't think so anyway) - Julian and Drew - any objections to me inviting them?
    ^ only if you convert them to Bricksetters!
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,457
    Drew, Silent Mode, uses the main site but not the forum, AFAICT.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited May 2012
    ^ I've been on at him to join here, but no joy...
  • TechnicManTechnicMan Member Posts: 23
    Hi, I'm the Julian that caperberry mentioned. Sounds good to me!
  • trax_3trax_3 Member Posts: 59
    I'm definitely in. Pretty flexible on dates as well.
    Heres that link again ... come on folks, fill in when youre free..

Find the doodle poll here: http://www.doodle.com/h7y748qtagp4bgd7
    Let's wait one or two more days, then I'll close the doodle poll and we'll see.
    I've doodled! :)
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291
    Same.

June is definitely looking more suitable at a glance.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Will be in for this when you go to Stratford, but not Shepherds Bush.
    Firstly Shepherds Bush is more out of my way (especially at a weekend).
    And secondly I have never had a single good experience in Shepherds Bush store, in total contradiction to the Stratford one.

Enjoy though.
    edited May 2012
    ^ Neither store is particularly handy for me, but I'm happy to travel in to meet up with fellow Lego folks :-)

I also have to say I once thought the staff at Shepherds Bush were not as helpful to me as they could have been, but since then I've had a couple of really nice visits - once they took the time to find me a couple of the Friends ice-cream stand builds (I left them nice feedback of course :-))
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 542
    Who be mentioning me?! :)

Either store is fine for me as they would take roughly the same amount of time to get to from where I live. Stratford is definitely friendlier, but Shepherds Bush generally has the better grab bags (if they're available).
    I have had nothing but great experiences at Shepherds Bush!
    I have found the staff friendly and helpful, and always say hello!
    :)
    Yay! SilentMode is here! Welcome mate

They're nice enough at Shep Bush and some of them are really great; you just need to break the ice really, which isn't always easy (but will be easy when there are lots of us!). I think they are dulled down by the clientele there, who are apparently very "no i DON'T need help, I just want two Death Stars for my 4 year old"

So did everyone see the link to say what days you could do?
    Looks like Thurs 14th June is the best day so far .. @LeGirl and @LuckyRuss, any way you could squeeze to the Thursday then we could have a full house?

Either's fine for me, but I prefer Shep Bush as its a bit quicker to get to, plus it doesnt involve any tube travel, plus the general ambience of the mall is better, especially the restaurants.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    I can't do this as have a team meeting in Bradford of all places and couldnt get the day off. Hope everybody has a great time!
    ^Why not bring the team. Dress it up as team building thing. Then you get your day out and your doing work
    Hi all,

I've closed the poll. Looks like Thursday 14 June it is (14 votes).

My suggestion is to start meeting at 7 PM at a nearby café. There is a Starbucks just upstairs from the Lego store in Shepherd's Bush, alternatively there is a café called "Ca-puccino" near the entrance.

My thinking is that 6 PM might be a bit too early for those who come from a bit further away, what do you think? Or should we start a bit later, even? The store will be open until 10 PM. Also, I just assume that sitting in a café while people arrive might just be a bit more comfortable than standing in the Lego store. After half an hour (7.30/8.30), we can then walk over and loot the store, and afterwards go for a pub. (On our way out, there is also a The Entertainer who usually has some things discounted.)

Let me know what you think. Looking forward to 14 June.

Best,
    Malte
    Sounds great! FYI, I could be there by 6.30 if anyone else wants to meet earlier.

Looking forward to chatting and of course "looting" the store :-)
    edited May 2012
    We can meet earlier, I'm pretty flexible myself. We just need to be careful not to deter all those who can't come early.
    I vote for Ca-puccino (or any other non-Starbucks cafe!) and expect I'll be there between 6.30 and 7.

Perhaps if someone is going there on 3 June, they could forewarn the manager? Sounds like grab bags may be popular!
    Good idea about warning the manager. I might go today for the Hulk minifig. In any way, I'll give them a heads up.
  • trax_3trax_3 Member Posts: 59
    Excellent. Can be there for around 6.30. Looking forward to it.
    great, see u then
    Don't honestly think I will be able to make this one (but maybe), but just wondering if you guys/gals had considered doing a parts draft, judging by the sharing of parts in the brick bags at AFOLcon and the idea of splitting grab bags I would think that this type of meet would be ideal to do a draft. Thoughts?
    edited May 2012
    I'm not sure I understand what exactly you mean by "parts draft". Is that similar to "secret santa"?
    In any way, yeah, we should do whatever AFOLs would do at such a get-together and if desired why not exchange bricks as well as stories!
    A parts draft is where everyone buys a set that is on a big discount, then all the sets are opened and people go around taking turns to choose parts they want.
    So somebody may be interested in slopes, somebody may be interested in windows, etc, etc...
    That way, everyone ends up with their most desirable elements.
    Not sure I have described that very well...
    That sounds fun. Maybe we can all put an equal amount into a kitty to buy sets?
    I can be there for 6.30, and I love the idea of the parts draft. Happy to put £10 into the kitty! Is everyone else ok with that? Can make it £5 if that is more reasonable. :)
    If we get a couple of fun houses then everyone can get a minifig too!

Also, how about we bring a tupperware box of interesting/useful parts so we can trade in the cafe? :)
    Looks like I will have to try to make the Thurs. On a normal day 6.30 would be great, but I think I'm in Leeds although might be able to get back. In general though anything involving purchasing huge quantities of bricks and then sharing them out sounds cool.

I'll have to confirm nearer the time.
    @luckyruss - if you can't make it to us, you should join @richo and his team Up North! :-)