Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Series 5 Minifigures

Firox5000Firox5000 Member Posts: 60
edited April 2011 in Everything else LEGO
With Series 4 currently out and series 5 yet to come in august. What are your thoughts on this upcoming series in comparison to the others which all including series 4 have all delivered alot of decent unique figures imo?

Comments

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I actually like Series 5 more than many of the others. I'm a Roman historian though so the presence of two figures which fit that historical era makes me a bit biased. Nevertheless, the gladiator, Cleopatra, the detective, zookeeper, Grenadier and a few others are all of extreme interest to me to a greater degree than anything in Series 4.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,228
    I just wish they'd slow down a bit - we'll be up to Series 10 by the end of the year at this rate.....

:-)

Joking apart, I thought Series 4 was excellent, and Series 5 looks like it'll maintain the high standard.
  • Firox5000Firox5000 Member Posts: 60
    Well looking at the trends we will probably get series 6,7 and 8, but that story is yet to be written.

Series 5 looks ok. The Soldier , Grad and Dinosaur guy are figures I really want. My only complaints on this series is they are remaking the skier and clown [from past series]. But yet saying that I dont have either of the previous rein carnations so I probably dont have a reason to complain atm.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,215
    Not just a clown... A Clown with a Pie..... mmmm pie....
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    "Well looking at the trends we will probably get series 6,7 and 8...."

What trends?
  • thesinisterpenguinthesinisterpenguin Member Posts: 96
    @madforlegos a short clown with a pie and a funny hat!
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 939
    I'm not crazy about them; as a whole I don't think it matches up to Series 4's quality. That said, there are three or four that I really want (namely the Gladiator, Gangster and Graduate) so, being the completist I am, I'll probably get them all. I really do wish they'd slow down though, or else reduce the numbers to 10 per series.
  • burakki62burakki62 Member Posts: 46
    I'm not a huge fan either, there are quite a few which I am not bothered about at all. I do however want the gladiator, inuit, beefeater and gangster. I'll still get a box though (o:
  • CephaserCephaser Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2011
    I don't always like all the figs in each series but I have to get them all anyway! It seems weird to me to only buy a few cause they look so good when they're displayed as a set although I don't really like the pilot and traffic cop and ones like that. But that said this upcoming series (5) doesn't have any figures I don't like. The series are definitely improving each time I think.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    A new series every 3 to 4 months seems OK to me. I like the variety we get from one series to another; sometimes I'll like more in one series than another, but that's fine. Series 5 looks like one of the stronger series so far, for my tastes, but I understand that other people will see it differently. It's all good.
  • paul88paul88 Member Posts: 164
    I actually believe that the series keep getting better and better. I can't wait for series 5! This has been the only series that I have not been interested in less than 3 figures (exercise girl and snowboarder). All of the others look great. I totally missed series 1 (never even saw *1* in a single store!!!). Since then though, I've gotten all I've wanted from the other 3 sets. I've definitely learned my lesson...buy a case online, then sell or trade what you don't want! That's about the only way to ensure that you'll get a full set without buying tons extra.

On a sad sidenote: I've noticed a trend at local walmarts where I've come upon case after case of series 3 where people have ripped open the bags and thrown figure pieces all over! (most likely in search of certain figure I guess).
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ I've seen that at Tesco over here in the UK too.
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    edited April 2011
    ^ Wow, emptying the bits on the floor is a bit rough...
  • TervlonTervlon Member Posts: 23
    I don't want to see series 5 for awhile... I'm getting tired of these things. Especially since they are so awesome and I want them all...
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 939
    ^^ My thoughts exactly :)

I only wound up with two doubles from Series 4 by going through the 'feeling' method. I never thought I'd be able to collect full series after the barcodes were stopped, but it really is quite easy to identify them IMO.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I'm torn between the quick release of series. If they release them every 3 to 4 months I think they should take a year long break (at least) and then release another 5 series or such. I say 5 because I've heard rumors that 5 is the last series. If they don't do this, they should definitely space out the series so they don't run out of ideas and I don't wind up with a bunch of low quality plastic figs. Currently I don't mind owning low quality plastic because they're still the minority of my minifig collection, but this could easily change with more and more series.

As for which series is best, I initially though series 4 was the best, however my criteria is somewhat based on the army building potential of the series. 1 was great for the zombie, 2 was great for the spartan, 3 was elf, now in 4 I'm not sure what to army build. I find myself getting extra HAZMAT, Vikings, Musketeers, and even hockey players.
    Series 5 I see going the same way, I'll want multiple dwarves, gladiators, and royal guard.

As a result, I've now changed my opinion, and I think series 2 was the best.
    Just my input.
    edited April 2011
    "I've heard rumors that 5 is the last series" ... no, no it isn't. I hear the figs for series 7 are being locked in at the moment ...
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I heard that series 7 actually come with a blue moose. :o)
    Damn straight! ;-)
  • jagdjhjagdjh Member Posts: 95
    One thing to be said about series 5 is that they will be easy to distinguish by feel. Each one seems to have a specific (and large) piece that will be easy to identify.
  • brickmattbrickmatt USAMember Posts: 88
    In the most recent Brickjournal, there is an interview with one of the CM designers, and he reported that the character designs are locked in through Series 8, so it looks like they'll be around for a while.

Series 5 has several interesting ones, especially the graduate and the detective. Each series has had some that really didn't appeal to me, but again each series has produced a few great figures as well.
  • colethegeekcolethegeek Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2011
    ^ I only scanned the article, but I found it interesting that the CM designer had pitched the idea 10+ years ago and was laughed at... guess he's laughing now (word is that at some Lego stores CMs are the highest grossing items, even higher than Diagon Alleys, which are certainly another top seller)
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    So far it looks like I'll be wanting the boxer, the gangster, the graduate, the detective, and the grenadier. I never buy the full set because I'm only interested in getting the figures I like. I always just stand around in the store and feel the bags until I am satisfied with what I've got. Though I am strongly considering getting two boxers and two grenadiers (normally I don't buy multiples, but two of those might look good).
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Whats the best way to buy a full box?
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ I've found Bricklink to be most accommodating, especially for series 2 and 4 (from sellers in Germany for some reason).
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    edited May 2011
    ^ Bricklink. Edit: Oh, you got there before me. I had the page open for a while. :)
    It's really handy, and can work out cheaper than the shops by a significant margin, even with shipping costs added (which are generally very reasonable). I've bought twice from sellers in Germany and Slovakia, and the service is excellent, good communication and fast delivery.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ I believe the term is ninja'd :-)

I got a good deal on series 2 on Bricklink from a German seller, even taking shipping into account it worked out at £1.63 per minifig. Series 4, not so much, worked out at £1.97 each so much of a saving huh?