Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego's Con(trary) Presence

prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
edited May 2012 in Community and Events
I attended C2E2 (Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo) last month and thought they had a fairly nice vending area. I was however disappointed that some big name toy brands had no direct presence, Lego included (though some vendors had Lego sets for sale). I know that Lego does exclusives for San Diego Comic Con and for New York Comic Con but I was wondering why they don't do anything for DragonCon and Wizard World (Chicago, Philadelphia, Toronto, Austin, New Orleans or Columbus, Ohio). I realize that none of these are as big as SDCC (C2E2 is only in its third year) but I think it's a lost opportunity for Lego since these conventions are much easier to attend than SDCC (a friend of mine tried to get tickets this year and couldn't; she attends DragonCon though and I've been to C2E2 and am going to Wizard World Chicago in August). Given the newly-acquired LOTR, DC and Marvel licenses as well their long-running Star Wars license, you'd think Lego would try to reach out to as many conventions (DragonCon is science fiction and fantasy hence SW and LOTR) as possible this year.

Comments

• RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,691
    edited May 2012
    I agree a massive missed chance. I am guessing they must weigh up the cost of attending the convention with the money that they would make from doing so. Although I remember there was a lego stall at Celebration Europe in London, which was massively popular, they werent selling anything just had loads of empty boxes on the shelves so we could see the products. So maybe they just pick and choose the biggest ones to attend and hope people see them.
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    You may have answered your own question with 'None of these are as big...' given they only have so many marketing dollars to spend and each exhibition potentially needs a ROI business case - that is easy if you are using it to launch new products, not so if you are just attending to have a presence there. It may well also have a lot to do with locations - as I understand it LEGO USA HQ is in Enfield, Connecticut so not too far from NY and Legoland, California is in San Diego so they will already have marketing people close to both.

Attending the other Cons would probably require flying in a marketing support team and then borrowing local LEGO Store staff to help put provide stand cover. Doing that and still having enough people to keep the Store itself running might be an issue and viewed as not worth the investment and effort required.