Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New PAB elements! Over 150 new elements! (And PAB in general)

thesinisterpenguinthesinisterpenguin Member Posts: 96
edited April 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
I'm sure most people got the email from LEGO this morning, and I had a quick scan through the whole list.

Although it seems to be mostly Hero Factory, element id: 4549989 is a Tommy Gun, which I haven't seen in any sets (from memory), doesn't turn up any results on Bricklink. I imagine BrickArms has made one, but I wouldn't know.

On the wider subject of PAB, how regularly do you use this service over Bricklink? And which came first?

Quick link to PAB (search the element ID on the left)

Comments

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited April 2011
    I have used Pick-A-Brick once for an order totalling about $50. If I'd ordered those same pieces on Bricklink it would have cost me over twice as much. That said, I've also ordered from Bricklink numerous times for parts which have, to date, never been available on Pick-A-Brick. Sadly, of the orders I've made on Bricklink, I've had a high instance of not getting what I paid for (color substitutions, wear on pieces sold as "new", etc.) whereas with Lego I'm assured new pieces and customer service to deal with problems should they ever arise.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,347
    edited April 2011
    ^ I've had the opposite experience. PaB orders general work out significantly more expensive than those from Bricklink on the vast majority of parts. Like @prof1515 I've also been on the end of some errors from Bricklink sellers, but they've always been quickly rectified at the sellers' expense, and I've never had cause to leave negative feedback at the end of a transaction.

I've been critical about the cost of sets from Bricklink, but for provision of parts orders large or small I have nothing but praise for Bricklink. I'd go as far as to say that if it wasn't for Bricklink I probably wouldn't be an AFOL at all - it was thanks to being able to replace the missing bricks from a few of my old sets (928 Space Cruiser and Moonbase, for instance) that I regained my passion for the brick.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    These have been listed since April 5th, I'm sure there was another topic about it here somewhere. Lego are late with their emails as usual.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,480
    I use PAB usually for one thing... TILES, It seems Everyone on BL seems to want more on tiles, which is not bad if you want 1-2, but try 50-60.. Lego PAB is actually a better price most of the time for certain items only... Again Mostly Tile pieces.. OR if you need a large Quantity of a certain part (like tiles) and those on BL usually seem to want more when they have higher numbers of things (like Tiles)
    .....Have I said Tiles enough?? :-)
    Otherwise it is Bricklink... I find BL Extremely useful (unless I cannot find the part I need even on BL, which has happened on occasion and I started to hyperventilate)
  • thesinisterpenguinthesinisterpenguin Member Posts: 96
    ^ I wasn't sure - were you talking about tiles?
  • fox171171fox171171 Member Posts: 45
    edited April 2011
    @thesinisterpenguin

element id: 4549989 is a Tommy Gun, which I haven't seen in any sets (from memory),

Check out:
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7307-1
    On top of the plane, upside down, with technic connector pegs shoved on them.

I got that email on 15 April. Was a little disappointed, as it bragged about there being over 150 new elements, but then below said it was over 100 new Hero Factory elements. So 2/3 of stuff I don't care about (but good news for HF fans!).
  • tommyboatommyboa Member Posts: 36
    element id: 4549989 is a Tommy Gun, which I haven't seen in any sets (from memory)

I guess you don't have any Batman sets then? It's in a majority of them since 2006.
  • thesinisterpenguinthesinisterpenguin Member Posts: 96
    @fox171171 Ah! Awesome, thanks!

@tommyboa No I don't, and I'm not interested in the Batman sets either, unless I find them lying on the street for free! The prices are ridiculous for what they are!
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    Tommy Gun is also seen in Indiana Jones "Venice Canal Chase".
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Oh, it appears in more sets than that. More recently it was seen in Pharaoh's Quest: http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7307-1
    It wasn't only Venice Canal Chase. It's also in Ambush in Cairo. Peeron is your friend.

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x1608
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Peeron is out of date. It needs love!
    It shall have to find that from someone else. I haven't yet opened a single one of the Pharaoh's Quest sets.
  • zaxter2001zaxter2001 Member Posts: 35
    Seemed like this was the best place to ask this question, so has anyone ever had an error in their PAB order? In my order that I got a couple days ago I had a weird one. Of all the parts I ordered, I wanted 3 - 2x2 Tan Tiles (which it showed on the invoice), but instead I ended up with 3 - 1x1 Red Technic Bricks instead. I just find this really strange if they have a semi-automated picking system (I think). But then I can't iterate this enough saying how great LEGO's customer service is. Called them up, and said they'd have the parts shipped out as soon as possible. But i was just wondering if something like this has happened to anyone else.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    I had 1 minifigure hairpiece missing once. Apparently it is hand picked, so it could just be they forgot to put that part in. It comes with a list with pictures though so I don't get how they could put a different brick in...
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    ^ "It comes with a list with pictures though so I don't get how they could put a different brick in... "

Probably someone picking for two lists at once got distracted... Someone who actually ordered the 3 - 1x1 Technic bricks will probably be wondering why they have 3 - 2x2 Tan Tiles!
  • jwsmartjwsmart Member Posts: 298
    I don't remember what part it was, but once I ordered qty 10 of something, and got only one. I emailed customer service, and the replacement parts arrived in about a week.
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, in one of my orders from PAB, I was short two brown bars (Light Sword Blade). LEGO had them to me within 5 days... a couple of days after that I found two brown bars under my couch.

Either my couch is producing brown bars, or LEGO is as good as I thought they were.

P.S. LEGO, I either owe you two brown bars, or $0.40 - let me know...
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    I love PAB and when I am planning on buying a large number of parts to build a set I check the prices there to compare against Bricklink first. 9 times out of 10 Bricklink is lower but PAB has been useful on a few occasions for me in the past. Also PAB is very limited in their choices but if you call the customer service number they have many more parts available to buy not listed on PAB (by a factor of at least 10 to 1).
  • AETerryAETerry Member Posts: 48
    So far I haven't had a problem with LEGO's pab feature. It's a good away to get a variety of pieces for a MOC rather then buy a specific set that you may not really want for one piece and then a bunch you don't want.

Though if I can make it back down to my nearest LEGO store, I'd take my cup in with me and fill up on bricks from their pab wall... that's a better way to go, especially if piece you need are there.

Otherwise my problem is the cat laying upon the nearly opened bag of pieces that have been spread out for my sorting through.
  • sramsram Member Posts: 60
    PAB in brick and mortar stores can be great deal if you buying small parts. A large quantity can be stuffed in a container, this includes tiles too :-)

I recently bought a bunch of train bases and wheels from PaB since it worked out to be cheaper.

The problem is finding the right parts. The reference numbers seem to keep changing for the various parts.
  • AETerryAETerry Member Posts: 48
    Yeah, having only the experience of Legoland California and the two Lego Stores in Downtown Disney or up where I live, there does seem to be a limit based on what they have in store. My last time, I wasn't dismayed as I could get a lot of flower pieces and fences for my daughter to help create domestic scenes which she loves and is into.