Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

3 yellow ice cube trays - what's the difference?

DuqDuq Member Posts: 20
edited April 2012 in The Database
There are 3 set numbers for the yellow ice cube tray; EL502, 851502, 4277645. How do I know which one I have?
(I know, not exactly a life-or-death situation...)

Comments

• legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548

Oh, sorry... i don't have an answer, i was expecting a punch line. :oD LOL

• davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 809
    I'm not sure about the "EL502" number, but the other 2 numbers COULD be the same thing. Essentially, LEGO has 2 separate numbering systems for a lot of their "Gear" style sets. The 7-digit one (I believe) is called an "Item Number", and the other (6-digit) is ... something else, like a "Product Number" or something. I have no idea why they use two sets of numbers for that, although I suspect it might have something to do with distribution.

Anyway, many such items have both numbers instead of a standard 4-or-5 digit "Set Number". So, it might match both. The only way to tell (that I know of) is to look at the packaging that came with it. It should probably have both the 6-digit and 7-digit numbers on it, and you can see whether any of them line up with what's in the database.

Ideally, the BL database would have a way of denoting "alternate" identifiers for things like this, where it's really just a different ID system for the same item. That would also mean the possibility of storing the different countries' bar codes as well (but that's not typically used by people for set identification, clearly!).

DaveE
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,934
    edited April 2012
    Isn't one a part number and the other a product number? I am sure I have seen different coloured items with the same part number but with different product numbers on PAB.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 809
    Isn't one a part number and the other a product number? I am sure I have seen different coloured items with the same part number but with different product numbers on PAB.
    That's regarding parts, not really the set numbers-- Parts have a "Design ID" which describes the type of part, and an "Element ID" (AKA "Part Number") which describes BOTH the type AND the color.

This is the actual "set number"-- or, some variation of it. I actually found my ice cube tray packaging, and it says "4277645", and does NOT have a 6-digit code, oddly enough! Virtually everything else I remember getting has a 6-digit code as well.

For instance, the Pharaoh's Quest mummy battle pack has 2 numbers on it: "853176" and "4623560". The Heroica storage case has "853358" and "4644081". And the Build-Your-Own minifig packaging has "852766" and "4570203".

DaveE