Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Bricklinking Green Grocer

Comments

• starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    But those parts are not on PAB and being honest with Lego and telling them " I want to pay for these parts" is not wrong. I was honest with the guy on the phone at Lego and he was really cool. Plus the shipping and some of the parts are cheaper over the phone than online.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,550
    Specific brick colors and parts are also a draw for the purchase of many sets. That's why Lego uses them in some sets and not others. The same applies for minifigures.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    ^ What's the big deal if you're paying for the bricks? Maybe if there's enough demand Lego will keep those bricks in circulation. People act like a Lego brick is made of gold. It's just a molded piece of plastic.
    ^ What's the big deal if you're paying for the bricks? Maybe if there's enough demand Lego will keep those bricks in circulation. People act like a Lego brick is made of gold. It's just a molded piece of plastic.
    Is it really that hard for you to understand?

Set A contains 20 of a particular brick and costs $50.

Someone wants to build a model requiring 60 of those bricks.

They have an option of buying 3 copies of Set A for $150 or buying the bricks of of Bricklink or eBay or somewhere. In each case though, someone had to buy the $150 worth of Set A to get those bricks. Lego got its $150.

If someone buys "replacement" bricks, Lego gets the $5 or whatever for the bricks alone. It's not in Lego's best interest to make those bricks available or they would. Hence using the "replacement" service to buy anything that you haven't already purchased from Lego as it was intended to be sold is unethical.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    @starfire2 @mathew The parts are not on PAB because they are out of production. The parts are available in the replacement program because they put aside a percentage of the parts for the replacement during the production run of the product. I remember reading a long time ago in some other thread about how long they keep these extra parts set aside. In any case, if people buy out the reserve of parts set aside in the replacement program, this can prevent legitimate replacement requests in the future from being fulfilled.

Think about why there are two completely separate programs in place to order parts. It is clear that the replacement part program is there to replace defective and lost parts from set purchases. By treating the replacement program like just another store for purchasing parts you're compromising the integrity of the program.

@mathew I'm assuming that by in circulation you mean in production. As you may already know, there is a limit to how many bricks are being produced by TLG at any given time. Only a fraction of the total part catalog can be in production at any given time and TLG is very conscious of what parts it puts into production based on the product lineup. Increased parts sales will not increase the number of unique parts in production at any given time.
    Pitfall69
    edited April 2012
    Is it really that hard for you to understand?
    You're assuming that Lego has a finite number of certain bricks asigned to EOL'd sets. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. I would like to see if you have proof.
    Otherwise, no need to be a charlatan.

edited April 2012
    You're assuming that Lego has a finite number of certain bricks asigned to EOL'd sets.
    Of course they maintain an infinite number of bricks. They've got 400 trillion of each stored just for sh**s and giggles. [/sarcasm]
    I would like to see if you have proof.
    It just takes an iota of common sense to realize that Lego does not have infinite production or storage capacity to keep producing and maintain a large supply of every brick they've ever produced. However, they've stated on more than one occassion that they don't (most recently in the debate over reissuing Cafe Corner, look it up).
    Otherwise, no need to be a charlatan.
    Charlatan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk
    ^ They do.
    Think about why there are two completely separate programs in place to order parts. It is clear that the replacement part program is there to replace defective and lost parts from set purchases. By treating the replacement program like just another store for purchasing parts you're compromising the integrity of the program.

Thanks for the well worded explanation. I understand that it's probably not "fair" to use Lego "replacement" parts to build a set from scratch. However, Lego does reserve the right to refuse replacement parts. They could easily say no to someone buying 50 sand green 1x8 bricks.
    Why are you putting fair and replacement in quotes? Normally your use of quotes would imply irony or that the word is being used unusually, but I don't see anything ironic or unusual about that usage of fair and replacement.

All that has been said is that using the replacement program to expand your collection of parts as opposed to replacing defective or lost parts in a set you already purchased is an abuse of the program. Basically, it is a comment on the ethics of such behavior. Just because you can get away with such behavior doesn't make it right. Sometimes being the enforcer of good etiquette is more trouble than it's worth, but not doing anything still doesn't justify bad behavior.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    If anyone is interested in a mostly complete GG or CC my local lego store has some used for a good price...I know the owner of the store will be happy to ship them to your location:

http://www.facebook.com/bricksandminifigures
  • forumreaderforumreader Member Posts: 97
    @starfire2 @mathew The parts are not on PAB because they are out of production. The parts are available in the replacement program because they put aside a percentage of the parts for the replacement during the production run of the product.
    I'm not sure how true this is anymore. There are several parts unavailable to PAB that are still produced and go in and out of stock all of the time through the replacement program. All of the replacement parts probably aren't handled this way (especially stickers, rarer molds, etc), but they refill the replacment part stock from production machines for some pieces.
    edited April 2012
    I never said the pieces for the replacement program were NOT for real replacements, I said I didn't see a problem with ordering pieces over the phone as long as you are HONEST with your intentions and you pay for them. How long do you expect TLG to hold on to replacement parts 10 years, 20 years, eternity? Get real. And don't mix up my comments with anyone else's!
  • harrelmusicharrelmusic Member Posts: 65
    Wow. Only fans of LEGO would require the customer to assess the fairness of purchasing parts over the phone, and whether or not those parts were possibly going to be EOL'd soon, etc...

Having just purchased around $50 worth of parts -- a modest amount I believe -- a couple weeks ago, including the legendary Dark Red Slope for the Cafe Corner, I started genuinely feeling bad about the fact that I might have slipped in and taken advantage of the program.

Again, this is only a feeling a LEGO fan would have. Loving the company and product so much that we want to make sure we keep everything on the up and up. Also realizing there's a certain balance that must be struck when you're an adult (with perhaps more disposable money than the average child) participating in a product that is designed primarily for younger fans. It's what keeps me from buying every last one of the 50% off sets at Wal Mart -- if I buy these, there might be a kid who can't get one, even though I could part them out for fun and profit.

I was experiencing a nagging feeling that I couldn't shake so I called the replacement parts number again. I began by thanking them for my order of a couple weeks ago, then told the nice woman on the phone I was considering another order in the next couple weeks but was involved in some discussion that might suggest acquiring parts over the phone through a program called "replacement parts" might be taking advantage of the system.

She said that was an interesting question. She assured me they have parts available for sale and that is what they do with them. She asked what I purchased before and how much. When I told her I purchased 36 Dark Red slopes she chuckled and said, "Oh yeah, there's times where we've sold 1000s of parts to someone." I told her I wanted to take the survey and let them know I thought it was a great program and they were doing a great job. She asked if I'd like to speak to her supervisor instead (because she couldn't forward me to the survey). I said yes.

I spoke with the supervisor. She said the phrase, "the name of the program is just replacement parts, but by all means if you have a project you're working on and you need parts that's what we're here for." She said the most they like to do over the phone is 10-15 parts, but you could email the ID numbers and they'd be glad to send you a quote.

Like others have said, they certainly reserve the right to say, "No, we're sorry, we can't fulfill your order of X part or X amount" and we have to accept that. What some are suggesting, that somehow those of us who have made a purchase are somehow ethically and morally wrong, couldn't be further from the truth. Like I said, I really started feeling bad about it after reading the opinion of the other side (the folks who I'm assuming haven't tried order from them or haven't put something together part by part). I feel better now known -- still within reason -- that the LEGO Replacement Part program is a source for helping me create "projects I'm working on."
  • forumreaderforumreader Member Posts: 97
    edited April 2012
    @forumreader: Do not misquote me. I did not say the same thing as Matthew! If you are going to quote me do it correctly!
    I quoted Brick, who quoted you and Mathew. It looks okay on my screen; does it show up oddly on others? No mis-attributions intended!
    ^ I went back and reedited my comment, seeing you were not the one who initially did the quote. For that I am sorry. Please do not mix my comments though with someone else's. I would rather be quoted on my own.
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    I bought some dark red slopes and dark blue 1x4 bricks off of Brinklink recently and the only parts the seller had were those 2. Replacement program bricks I would think, but Lego makes them and sells them and if people see a profit to be made so be it. I dont think anyone is gettin hurt in this process. I might have paid a bit more but Brinklink shipping is usually alot faster than TLG.
    edited March 2013
    Charlatan?
    "I spoke with the supervisor. She said the phrase, "the name of the program is just replacement parts, but by all means if you have a project you're working on and you need parts that's what we're here for." She said the most they like to do over the phone is 10-15 parts, but you could email the ID numbers and they'd be glad to send you a quote."

You think you know what you're talking about but in reality you don't.
    Nice contribution to the dialogue @matthew

Just thought I'd give a call and report back what I heard.
    ^ Just to be clear I was using your qoute to back me up.
    Quotes are going haywire and confusing everyone -- me included.
    Quotes are going haywire and confusing everyone -- me included.
    I am typing on an iPad which sucks for trying to qoute and copy and paste. I'm actually in complete agreement with you. My point was that Prof and others here are being overly critical of users using a system that they themselves don't fully understand.
    I'm on the only thing worse than that, the iPhone. Of course I sat at the keyboard for my 7-page diatribe ;-)
  • Missing_Pieces_15Missing_Pieces_15 Member Posts: 17
    Wanting to contribute my $0.02.........
    We are all fans here.... Some fans looking to make a buck, others looking to complete there collection etc....
    PAB is not as easy to order parts for a specific set as Replacment Parts is. Lego is a company for profit. They aren't selling their replacment parts at a loss.

Let's take it easy on everyone and get back on topic. "Bricklinking Green Grocier" if Replacement parts or Pick a brick is cheaper than BL. Then thank you for the suggestion.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    To sum it all up...

From an Ethics point of view, if you call up Lego and tell them you want to buy the parts, don't have the set, and they are happy to sell them to you, I think there really is no issue.

Regardless of anything else, when you're honest, generally you're also being Ethical. Broad brush, to be sure, and I'm sure everyone can come up with an exception, but I think it fits most cases...
    I apologize for getting ramped up at times...I'm stressed because I've spent all my money on anything and everything sand green.
    It's what keeps me from buying every last one of the 50% off sets at Wal Mart -- if I buy these, there might be a kid who can't get one, even though I could part them out for fun and profit.
    Thing is, there's going to be another Lego collector who will buy them as soon as you walk out the door. For example, I missed out on a Hogwart's Castle on clearance for $65 at Walmart. I kind of suspect it wasn't some poor kid who got one. It was an adult collector who knows the system. Probably some guy who got to know the manager and was there as soon as the inventory was placed on the clearance shelves. Is this adult collector guilty of abusing the system? Perhaps. But how is it any worse to buy replacement parts from Lego to build a EOL set when Lego themselves are willing sell them to you...

Regardless of anything else, when you're honest, generally you're also being Ethical. Broad brush, to be sure, and I'm sure everyone can come up with an exception, but I think it fits most cases...
    Interesting... still I think too much is being made of a plastic brick that costs Lego .00005 cents to make. And seriously, how many original buyers of Green Grocer are losing 1x8 sand green bricks? Most people who buy the modulars build them and leave them built.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    ^ Not to mention that most owners of Lego don't even know you can get replacement bricks...

Read reviews on Amazon sometime, they are full of complainers about sets missing parts, with follow up comments saying "hey, you can get those for free from Lego", and the original reviewer replies "oh thanks, didn't know that".
    "I spoke with the supervisor. She said the phrase, "the name of the program is just replacement parts, but by all means if you have a project you're working on and you need parts that's what we're here for." She said the most they like to do over the phone is 10-15 parts, but you could email the ID numbers and they'd be glad to send you a quote."

You think you know what you're talking about but in reality you don't.
    Quality Service is Built into Every LEGO Product

We believe our toys and other products must live up to your highest expectations. And our service must live up to the quality of our toys. We hope that you will be totally satisfied with your order. But if there's any reason you're not, simply return the product you ordered for a replacement, exchange, or prompt refund. All refunds will be credited to the original payment method. Note: Custom items such as Pick A Brick orders cannot be returned or exchanged.

We reserve the right to review, modify and/or cancel LEGO Pick A Brick orders at any time. Should we have any questions about your order, we will contact you before the order is processed.

We reserve the right to limit purchase quantities on items at any time, for any reason.

Missing a building piece or LEGO element for the set you just purchased? Can't find your Building Instructions?

No problem - simply call LEGO Shop At Home
    http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Your-Satisfaction;jsessionid=TCl2gZRG7dmtoFlZXimNvQ**.lego-ps-3-1

If you need a replacement part, please fill out this form.

Please fill out a separate form for each request-type (examples: LOST, BROKEN or MISSING).

You can also purchase multiple parts with our Pick A Brick application. To see the assortment, click here.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Please select one of the following*:

Lost a part
    You can now purchase multiple parts with our new LEGO Factory Pick A Brick application. To see the assortment, click here (Please note that this service is not available for all countries). If you couldn't find the parts you wanted, we may be able to help. Submit your request and we will get back to you about availability and price. You can pay by VISA and Mastercard. Please note we are not able to replace any unique parts from licensed sets.

Missing a part from a new purchase.

Received a broken part in a new purchase.
    (Please note we may request that broken or faulty parts be returned to our quality assurance)

Part broken while building the set.
    (Please note we may request that broken or faulty parts be returned to our quality assurance.)
    http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/replacementparts/default.aspx

I know what I'm talking about; I have used their replacement service several times before and I have also read their policies in that regard. You're basically lucky that Lego values its customer service quality to the degree that they'll bend their policies but they are clear in regard to the use of their replacement parts service. If you call and state they're you're trying to find parts via Pick-A-Brick, that's a different matter as they state that they'll try to assist but that's not the same thing as representing oneself as seeking replacement bricks. One is hit-and-miss depending upon the agent and their flexibility, the other is unethical fraud.
    Might also add that they will bend their rules in other ways.
    Please note we are not able to replace any unique parts from licensed sets.
    I have gotten replacement unique parts for licensed sets when the parts included in my purchased sets were defective. Nevertheless, they were replacement (the action or process of replacing; http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/replace ) parts, not purchased.
    Being new to bricklink(ing) the biggest mistake I made in regards to the sand green parts was having my search threshold set to the large number of bricks needed. I could have picked up some smaller numbers with other orders. Live and learn!
    Great tip. I bumped numbers down to 10 or so and have just been buying little bits here and there when shipping and fees won't be too high
    I also found an error in the Bricklink inventory while peeking at the Lego online instructions. Tan 2x2 tiles are not listed! Annoying to say the least.
    You need 13 according to the Lego Instruction book inventory
    K nevermind my last 2 posts... pictures shows a darker tan but actually is tan.
    ^ idiot!
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    I haven't had any troubles getting extra parts or hard to find parts for modulars. Just last week I shot an email to CS to get more cannons for the QAR. If they are willing to oblige with the requests, I don't see what the fuss is.
  • yuffieyuffie Member Posts: 91
    edited March 2013
    hello

i am thinking of trying to brinklink the GG modular as i have all the current ones (apart from the PC which will be next months purchase)

i am not that bothered about having exact colour matches for all the pieces so does anyone know how easy (in the UK) and what sort of cost we are talking about the get the whole set?

thanks
    simon
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,248
    I've looked at this just recently, and (assuming you swap the sand green 1x8 bricks with 1x4s) it'll cost you approx £220, not including postage.

If you really want to use Sand Green 1x8s, add about £130 to that.
  • yuffieyuffie Member Posts: 91
    cheers
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Does £220 get you the instructions and box?
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,248
    ^ no. That's just for the bricks. I think the instructions would set you back about another £35 - £45. Don't know about the box.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Thanks. I was just wondering what the cost difference is between fully Bricklinked and second hand and there's not really much in it. Especially if one is looking to avoid the variation in the colour of the sand green bricks.
  • GorelaxxGorelaxx WirralMember Posts: 15
    If you want the instructions and you're not too fussed about originals, you can find the instructions in the customer services section on the LEGO website, free to download and print. Better than £35-£45!
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Btw did ya'll realized how freaking expensive those blue slopes are?! These were some of the last ones i've needed to complete my GG and i had no idea about their price!!!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,655
    edited March 2013
    I would like to know where people are getting this 'only is for 'replacement' parts' from when talking about unethical buying behavior?
    When I go to LEGOs site, and click on Customer service link.
    Click on Part and Pieces.
    Select my age, click next.
    Select 'Buy a Part' so WHERE does exactly say this is for replacement parts only ANYWHERE on that site?!
    As a matter of fact this is what they put ON that site:
    "...The Pick a Brick site has 1600 different bricks and is the cheapest way for you to buy individual pieces. However, some pieces can only be found here in Bricks & Pieces as we have an even larger variety. Choose what works for you below. "

LEGO is saying choose which works best, it does not say 'this is only for x or y scenario', and does not state that PaB is the standard, or only, way to buy brick and parts.
    If anything you may wind up paying MORE for a part via this system that can be found on PaB (which I would not be surprised if PaB goes away online since the part selection there is currently horrible anyway)
    I see nothing about this being for only replacement parts anywhere.
    As long as that part is in production I have no issues with ordering a ton of them if I need them for a MOC and their poor selection of paB does not have it listed.
    I do understand that if the part is EOL that LEGO should not sell them, and maybe they do not, I dunno. Maybe LEGO bulk part ordering does list items as 'out of stock' even thought there is limited stock (I mean they do do that for licensed parts after all) to account for those that are missing 1 or 2 pieces.
    However, considering that I cannot buy any old gray parts right now even though I may need them now, does that mean LEGO is at fault? or the last guy that may have gotten Old gray parts from the customer service line? Eventually the part is running out anyway. So should we be expecting LEGO to run part production on parts that are 20 years old, 10 years old, 5 years old? Where is the line drawn?
    I think LEGO has this listed in customer service for a few reasons, it is either a trial run to see how popular it is, or only in Customer service because that is how people were doing it before and they really do not want to be a main stream part supplier BUT realize that people will want parts not listed in their PaB, but I would wager that if LEGO is doing this it is because they see a niche to fill and I would presume that LEGO is accounting for increased demand. However if they don't, do you will blame part buyers or LEGO for making it easier to do so?
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 629
    Can we please try to not start this debate again? ;-)
    forumreader
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,655
    edited March 2013
    You are right, sorry, I was catching up and broke on of my own rules about not rehashing old thread discussions/debates/arguments..
    Sorry about that
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    Yet another thread that turned into a little Timmy story.......................man this is getting old.

Com'on guys really? People paying for items is dishonest?

"<-----Bangs head into wall"