Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Bricklinking Green Grocer

harrelmusicharrelmusic Member Posts: 65
edited April 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
I've read some great discussions about Bricklinking Cafe Corner and Market Street. I should have a modified version of CC with my last BL shipment coming tomorrow hopefully. I might not do the same with MS, but I've already gathered a few pieces for GG from BL and pulled some out of our collection.

Other than the sand green -- 50 of the 1x8's!! Yikes! --- what should I be prepared to sub or splurge on?

Thanks!

Comments

• 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    try ordering from LEGO over the phone, I did to part together 5 GG's and it was no problem
  • RainingBoroSi02RainingBoroSi02 NCMember Posts: 59
    I would highly recommend using the Lego Replacement program to get those sand green bricks. When I ordered from them a month ago, they said that the 1x8 sand green brick was out of production so I did a substitution. Other things to pick up from them, if you don't have them already, 2 16x32 base plates and the 1x4 tiles with the snakes on them. As for cost, I already had about 10% of what I needed and spent a further $300 on it. I didn't use the min cost program, but was rather picky about the sellers (time frame because its a Mother's day present for my mom). Hope this helps.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 589
    Other than building the set according to the original specifications, is there any advantage to using 2 16x32 base plates instead of 1 32x32 base plate? In reviewing the instructions for both the GG and CC, it seems to me that a single 32x32 base plate could improve the portability and stability of each building. Does anyone have evidence to indicate that 2 16x32 base plates provide any advantage over a single 32x32?
  • harrelmusicharrelmusic Member Posts: 65
    I have all but decided to build on 32x32, but I do have two 16x32 sitting around under a couple half-hearted MOCs. I was this close (holds fingers together) to building the Cafe Corner on a Blue (ah!) 32x32, but that would have only happened if all the parts came in before the green baseplate. I couldn't have waited for the baseplate, even though it seems like I should have been able to.

As for timeframe, wow.... I've been waiting closer to a month for my largest order of Cafe Corner parts from a seller on Bricklink. If it comes Monday it will be 4 days short of a month from when I ordered it. ~650 parts
    I was also halfway considering not making the back sand green. Half-Green Grocer. Obviously I'm no purist.
    @RainingBoroSi02 So did you substitute twice the number of 1x4 bricks instead of the 1x8s?
    @RainingBoroSi02 So did you substitute twice the number of 1x4 bricks instead of the 1x8s?
    Yep. Had to order like 140 of those.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    edited April 2012
    @SirBen A major disadvantage I have noticed with the 32x32 baseplate versus the 2 16x32 baseplates is that the 32x32 is much more prone to warp, due to the weight of the bricks. It is mainly a problem for only corner buildings. As you see in this picture, http://www.flickriver.com/photos/[email protected]/4430023959/, the tip of the Grand Emporium is slightly warped. This might not be a problem for others, but its caused many headaches for me. ;)
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    ^ Going by the picture, a bigger issue for me is the crooked "SHOP" signage. I can see how the warped baseplate would be frustrating if you were building a street around it. However, I find it more satisfying to build on the big baseplates so it's a trade-off.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    I have a thought...

I get that saving money is never a bad thing...

However, if you end up spending about $400 or so Bricklinking GG, and that is with not being pure about it, subbing out parts here and there, why not just pay the $500 and buy one new? Isn't the box and manual and future resale value worth that?

Just thinking out loud...
    madforLEGO
    I'm putting a threshold at about $200 for what I'm hoping to spend on it. I'll probably ignore the handful of orders I've already placed for $10 each...that's some inventive accounting I suppose. There's something to be said for getting to purchase it over the course of months rather than paying $500 in one pop. Plus there's the thrill of the hunt and the extra satisfaction of having tracked it down and put it together.

If I don't make the back sand green (haven't really crunched the numbers on that; might not save too much) no one I know will care and I can always gather those pieces over time too.

Long story short -- I won't be missing any modular buildings now that I'm out of the Dark Ages!
    $200 sounds very reasonable for parting one, it was the $350 and up prices that didn't make sense to me...

The cost to actually product an accurate example seem to be pretty close to the cost to buy one. If accuracy is not important, I would imagine it would be much less.
    I will say that Bricklinking something can go from "sounds like a terrible idea" to "this might be plausible" to "I'm completely obsessed with this" in a matter of a few days. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I suppose if the art of the hunt becomes part of the enjoyment then there's value in that as well.

When my last BL order comes in for Cafe Corner, I'm going to open it up and ask my son if he can tell me what set I might have the pieces for -- he looked at just the 1x1s from it this week and told me he thought I was collecting pieces from Cafe Corner so he'll guess the right answer I'm sure. I have a feeling he'll go nuts too. That should be fun and worth any extra trouble it's been collecting parts over a month.
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    Ive been Bricklinking Cafe Corner and Green Grocer after picking as many parts as i could out of my own collection. I find the bricklink search fun as well and there's just some part of me that won't let me pay 500 bucks in one shot for a toy.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    A lot of the charm of Green Grocer are the sand green bricks so I can't see doing substitutions and being content.
    Elune
    @dimefield I agree with that. $150 of money left over after Bricklinking gives me enough to buy another modular building.

@mathew I agree with that too. I liked sand green before I even really knew or cared about Green Grocer. In fact, my actual house is sand green. ;-) If I sub out the back to save a few bucks I'll push it up against the wall on our Lego table. Ha, the more I mention that -- always half-heartedly -- it seems like splitting hairs and a bad way to save money. I wish those darn 1x8s were available from [email protected] though.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,242
    edited April 2012
    You could just go with a cheaper color.
    ^ Now that is a child that only a mother could love. ;)
    I bet the back of that is sand green. ;-)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    I just got the sand green pieces on the front, but replaced the sides and back with a less expensive color. Once joined into my block, you can't tell the difference.
  • forumreaderforumreader Member Posts: 97
    I've seen tan and gray mods that look pretty good, but I think the sand green is a key component of the "Green" Grocer. It's not the same without it. Dougts's plan seems to be the best option if costs need to be cut somewhere.
  • kclebakkclebak Member Posts: 9
    I was looking to do the same, wanting a new GG, so over the past two weeks I priced out every part for GG from Lego replacement parts and it came in about $525. So I would agree with LegoFanTexas, you can buy one new for that price, and have the Original Box and manuals thus upping the resale value.
    ^ wow, I spent *WAY* less than that on mine.
    Lego replacement parts are overpriced on most pieces. Plus I have a couple of bags of parts already in my inventory.
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    The set a few posts above hasn't just replaced the sand green with blue - there are other substitutions as well. I think that another colour wouldn't be that bad, but perhaps not blue for this one? Maybe tan or dk orange would be an option?

I bricklinked a Market Street, and replaced the dark blue with blue. I think it turned out pretty okay.
  • DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130
    @FollowsClosely has made a number of modifications to GG, including widening it. I'm, personally, a big fan of his MOCs and MODs, which I've seen pictures of in the Eurobricks forums.
    Dark tan would be really nice on a modular, but there isn't as of yet a good supply of bricks in this color. Hopefully this will change someday soon.
    edited April 2012
    I was looking to do the same, wanting a new GG, so over the past two weeks I priced out every part for GG from Lego replacement parts and it came in about $525. So I would agree with LegoFanTexas, you can buy one new for that price, and have the Original Box and manuals thus upping the resale value.
    What is even more amazing is that before Christmas, I bought my Green Grocer (new in box) off eBay for $300, the price has really jumped up in the past few months on that set...

Wonder if we'll see $800 on it by Christmas?
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,550
    edited April 2012
    Wonder if we'll see $800 on it by Christmas?
    I'd wager it'll top around $650 around Christmas. Not that there won't be people asking four figures for it but the reasonable low-end price will be around $650.

I'd wager it'll top around $650 around Christmas. Not that there won't be people asking four figures for it but the reasonable low-end price will be around $650.
    Eh? Are we looking at the same set? The current eBay price is already ~$600, that is a $200 jump from just a few months ago, and you think it will only go up another $50 over the next 8 months?
    Eh? Are we looking at the same set? The current eBay price is already ~$600, that is a $200 jump from just a few months ago, and you think it will only go up another $50 over the next 8 months?
    You're not looking at all the offerings. The present low-end price for a sealed set on eBay is $550. On Bricklink it's about $530. So I think it's going to go up about $100-$120 in the next 8 months.

• Tevans333Tevans333 Member Posts: 152
    You're not looking at all the offerings. The present low-end price for a sealed set on eBay is $550. On Bricklink it's about $530. So I think it's going to go up about $100-$120 in the next 8 months.

I think now that Lego is no longer offering Sand Green through the replacement program we will see it go up a lot faster. My thoughts are, if you can part it out for more than you can purchase it for then it will rise (assuming it is a desireable set, which this is). GG has just now hit this point now that Sand Green can no longer be gotten cheaply.

I have all the sand green to do the front and sides, so I guess light bluish gray back it is
    Since I have thought about Bricklinking GG if the cost made sense, I went throught the Lego replacement page and added enough of all of the sand green parts to build one set. I got a response that all are in stock and would cost $47.54 delivered. Thats not too bad considering the cheapest sollution I could find on Bricklink was $135 delivered. At that price I don't think I would make substitutions since the resale value would be so mich higher.
    Since I have thought about Bricklinking GG if the cost made sense, I went throught the Lego replacement page and added enough of all of the sand green parts to build one set. I got a response that all are in stock and would cost $47.54 delivered. Thats not too bad considering the cheapest sollution I could find on Bricklink was $135 delivered. At that price I don't think I would make substitutions since the resale value would be so mich higher.
    Were you able to get the 1x8s?
    yup, 50 of them.
    I'd believe it when they're shipped. :-0 okay, that's just my general naysayer attitude. I didn't think I'd get the dark red slopes for the Cafe Corner until I actually saw them in the bag.
    You'll have to let us know how it ends up. May have to make another order soon, then.
  • parkerwilsonparkerwilson Member Posts: 142
    ^ I just added up the prices of the sand green pieces excluding the 50 1x8 bricks from my Lego invoices and my total came to the exact same total you got. I do hope you get them but doesn't sound like it.
    They need to work out a better system with the replacement parts. It's a mystery until you get it how much everything cost and what you're going to get. Oh well, I guess it's a good service nonetheless. Just not great
    They need to work out a better system with the replacement parts. It's a mystery until you get it how much everything cost and what you're going to get. Oh well, I guess it's a good service nonetheless. Just not great
    Considering it's an abuse of the system I have to question the ethics of it being discussed here. "Replacement" implies prior ownership or filling in for unintended absence (ie, missing or lost parts).

yeah, working out a better system would just lead to a big increase in the abuse of the system.
    Considering it's an abuse of the system I have to question the ethics of it being discussed here. "Replacement" implies prior ownership or filling in for unintended absence (ie, missing or lost parts).
    I think you misunderstand what they are saying...

They are not trying to get free parts, they are happy to pay for them, what they are saying is that you first order the parts, then you find out what you'll pay for them. It is a bit old-school.
    The first thing they ask you when you call is, "Is this for replacement parts or just a bulk part order?" At least that's what they asked me. I told her I had about 15 different parts and she said that's about the limit of what she could do over the phone. She couldn't have been nicer and I read off the part ID numbers and told her how many of each part I wanted.

"Abuse of the system?" "question the ethics of it being discussed here." whoa.....ease up. How is paying for parts at their prices -- many of which (not all I'll be honest) were on the online PAB -- an abuse of anything? They're more than entitled to say, "sorry we can't sell you 36 dark red slopes" (for Cafe Corner) and I would have said thanks and continued with the 14 other parts.

Discussion boards are the perfect place for discussion. And with that I can certainly see your point that it does feel like a system that benefits us. I think that's why we love LEGO.
    As a further note... I've filled out the replacement parts form before, being honest about it, saying that I lost or broke a part, and they sent me free replacements anyway. Just 1 or 2 parts here and there, probably not worth billing for, but I was honest about it.

For sure, I'm not going to lie over 50 cents worth of parts, that is just nuts!

They are not trying to get free parts, they are happy to pay for them, what they are saying is that you first order the parts, then you find out what you'll pay for them. It is a bit old-school.

Ah yes, a standard message board miscommunication. I think you're right!

• starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    I did the same thing last week to build the mini Lego store. They are also sending me the sticker sheet from 3221 (yellow Lego truck) for the 2x2 Lego sticker. It cost me $5.73 to get 10 1x1 clear round tiles, 7 2x2 yellow tiles w/ jumper stud, and 1 1x4x3 clear window including shipping.
    ^^ disagree. the "replacement" part system, and calling for parts that are not listed on PAB is clearly and obviously intended to help people replace a piece that has gone missing or broken from a set the customer already has. Using this system to acquire parts (usually the expensive/rare ones) for a set the customer doesn't have is most definitely and abuse of the system. LEGO has such fantastic customer service, so they generally allow it, with pretty liberal limits, but that doesn't make it "right" necessarily.

The end result is that LEGO will run out of these parts sooner (much sooner) than they would have otherwise, and eventually someone who truly is missing that sand green brick or red roof slope won't be able to get one from LEGO.

It's a minor thing, but as it is, right now it benefits those people who know how to "game the system", and I never feel good about those kinds of situations.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Looks like someone got a fair load of sand green pieces here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-City-Green-Grocer-10185-/221008831979?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item33752725eb

Odd listing though. Hmmm.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Have to agree with @prof1515 and @dougts on this. The replacement parts program is great customer service, but using it to buy additional parts that are not replacements is an abuse. If you want to buy parts individually, that is what PAB is for.