Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Auction Pet Peeves

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,477

I just reviewed eBay's policies, and you are correct. This seems scammy, at best, and leads me back to my original point of eBay implementing fees on shipping (in the US only, so far as I can tell) in what now seems like an effort to not have to police their own policies.
    COMPLETELY agree. More often than naught I think eBay makes most of their polices so no one there needs to actually review auctions/listing or perform investigations, so they make 'broad stroke' type rulings which usually negatively affect sellers, but not bidders/buyers.

• khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,305
    edited May 2012

There IS such a thing, at least in US.. Check under Buyer requirements in your auction creation template.. this is also why you can longer say that someone 'cannot bid' or 'don't bid if' But the sad thing is it only goes down to 2 per x amount of time, I think you should be able to have it at one.
    Oh... yah that's what I meant, that it exists, not that it should! I mean it should, but... eeek, you know what I mean!

Yeah, I don't mind if I can't see the bidder's unpaid item stuff, but I DO wish that it would go down to 1. Especially if it's recent.

Although I have been on the other end of it too, where I paid for the item, the seller sent it to me, but then reversed my payment for some reason and filed an unpaid bidder. When I contacted them to ask why, they were really evasive and asked me to mail them payment instead. I refused (I mean, the fact that he took PayPal was one of the reasons that I bought the item in the first place) and asked where I could send the item back, but they whenever they responded it was only to say send payment through the mail. Anyway, they closed the strike against me before we finished "resolving" the issue. Did that ever make me mad!
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    I need your opinion.. i just received a 7962 whose auction stated that it was missing parts and minifigs but that there were four sealed bags. I bought it at what seemed a good price for resale purposes. The box didn't contain the manual and there were ~100 parts missing (and a handful of megabloks). When contacted the seller replied that the description said "parts missing" and that the manual is itself a part. I think it is a creative use of the english language...

It is still a good price for the amount of parts I got... i was wondering if i should leave neutral fb or bite the bullet this time and corner them to the wall for the next time by explicitly asking about the manual..
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,296
    These days, if it is not in the picture, I assume it is missing - I'd always ask first these days.

If you feel hard done by, now you have contacted the seller, leave neutral or negative.

I have done it in the past, when I feel I have been cheated. I once asked whether a seller combined postage prices and he said yes he gives a discount on postage if you purchase multiple items. Once I had won the auction, he combined the prices by taking 1p off each P&P price. I really wanted the pieces so I paid, then left negative feedback as he overcharged me for postage by about £5.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ This is a tough one in the US/Canada actually, because the vast majority of debit cards can't be used online.
    Maybe that was true 20 years ago, where have you been? I haven't seen one of those non-Visa or non-MC debit cards in many years.
    People who set the "maximum bid" to waaay more than they are willing to pay, just for the sake of winning the auction. Then realise they've paid more than they thought they would and refuse to pay for the item...
    There is an easy solution to that...

Setup eBay so that the payment for the winning item is made from PayPal the minute the auction ends, just like everywhere else. You won it, so you've bought it. If shipping needs to be worked out, that can be done after, but the item is now yours.

That is how "auctions" work. :)
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291
    edited May 2012
    I need your opinion.. i just received a 7962 whose auction stated that it was missing parts and minifigs but that there were four sealed bags. I bought it at what seemed a good price for resale purposes. The box didn't contain the manual and there were ~100 parts missing (and a handful of megabloks). When contacted the seller replied that the description said "parts missing" and that the manual is itself a part. I think it is a creative use of the english language...

It is still a good price for the amount of parts I got... i was wondering if i should leave neutral fb or bite the bullet this time and corner them to the wall for the next time by explicitly asking about the manual..
    Hmmm. Does the manual appear in the parts list for the set? No it does not. Which leads me to believe that the manual is NOT a part. The guy is being an asshole (sorry, am I allowed to say that here?) or an idiot if you ask me.

Although I must say if it doesn't specifically state that the manual is included I would be inclined to follow suit with CCC and presume it to be missing.

You've had contact with the seller, so I would suggest you use your better judgement to determine the kind of feedback that should be left. Perhaps have a look at some of his other listings/feedback and weigh up whether he is just ignorant or infact a bit of a wideboy (Brit slang for con-artist, kinda).

Never be afraid to leave negative feedback if you feel that the deal was not a fair one. Likewise you should think carefully before leaving negative feedback as it can be very damaging and somewhat traumatic for an eBay user who prides themself on their reputation.

Lastly, I would say that the feedback function serves the purpose of reflecting the overall transaction, starting from the moment you view the listing right up until the time at which you have the item in your possession. It is more than just how fair the price was. So even though you still got a good deal, if you feel like you were misled in any way then you shouldn't feel hesitant to speak your mind for the benefit of his future customers.

Best of luck to ya mate!

:)

There is an easy solution to that...

Setup eBay so that the payment for the winning item is made from PayPal the minute the auction ends, just like everywhere else. You won it, so you've bought it. If shipping needs to be worked out, that can be done after, but the item is now yours.

That is how "auctions" work. :)
    I've tried... The only way that eBay allows me to check the "require immediate payment" box is when I'm selling items in fixed-price format. For some reason (annoyingly enough) it flat out refuses to let me use this option when I list things in the online auction format.

:(
    ^ In an ideal world, that would be great. But we all know how PayPal is buyer friendly. I would imagine the number of PayPal claims for not as described would go up.
    Oops, I wasn't suggesting a PayPal dispute, just accurate and honest feedback (whether it be positive/negative).

Apologies for any confusion this might have caused!

:\
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,305
    Maybe that was true 20 years ago, where have you been? I haven't seen one of those non-Visa or non-MC debit cards in many years.
    Oh. None of my Canadian bank accounts have them, so that's why I assumed... only my one UK account has it! My Canadian ones were recently upgraded to the chip though. And my ex's US bank accounts (Bank of America) don't have them either, that's why I assumed. My bad.
    @SpaceCake, sorry, I was referring to LFT's reply. You were too quick and jumped in the gap!
    @CCC Oops again, haha! First class fail on my part.
    Oh. None of my Canadian bank accounts have them, so that's why I assumed... only my one UK account has it! My Canadian ones were recently upgraded to the chip though. And my ex's US bank accounts (Bank of America) don't have them either, that's why I assumed. My bad.
    Interesting, I was unaware of the situation in Canada. Good to know...

In the United States, it has been awhile since I've seen one... I've had a retail business for years that takes credit cards, and we take debit as well, have a pin pad and everything, most people want to swipe their cards to get the miles/points/cash back, which they only get when they use their debit card as a credit card, signing for it rather than using the pin.

But that is another story. :)
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    This is certainly not limited to auctions but personally I dislike people who don't capitalize the word "LEGO". They type it like "lego", "Lego" or "lego". Maybe that is just me.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    This is certainly not limited to auctions but personally I dislike people who don't capitalize the word "LEGO". They type it like "lego", "Lego" or "lego". Maybe that is just me.
    I can certainly see what you mean. Particularly when taking into consideration your screen name, LegobrandonCP. LOL
  • JoeCrispJoeCrisp Member Posts: 26
    ^ Brilliant
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    Yeah I noticed that too when I read the post, but I wasn't gonna mention it lol @nkx1
    They type it like "lego", "Lego" or "lego".
    I cannot tell the difference between the first and last.

• roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,378
    Come on, it's obvious
    . or ,

;)
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    edited May 2012
    I can certainly see what you mean. Particularly when taking into consideration your screen name, LegobrandonCP. LOL
    LOL Wow, good one! I didn't notice that myself. I had a nice laugh out of your comment. It made my morning so much better. :D
    They type it like "lego", "Lego" or "lego".
    I cannot tell the difference between the first and last.

"legos". ;)
  • UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 630

Is it just me or are very few people are leaving feedback these days!
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    ^ Indeed! Never got a single feedback in a few weeks.
  • gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    I've had feedback on about 80% of auctions over the last few months, which I'm happy with.
    I only leave feedback once the buyer has left theirs (partly so I know they've received the item) so maybe it's more because the buyers want the feedback themselves.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    gifinim said:

I've had feedback on about 80% of auctions over the last few months, which I'm happy with.
    I only leave feedback once the buyer has left theirs (partly so I know they've received the item) so maybe it's more because the buyers want the feedback themselves.

Funny that, as a buyer I only leave feedback once the seller has left theirs. I can't any reason at all for a seller to withold feedback once the buyer has completed its side of the transaction ie. won the auction and paid. Afterall, the buyer has fulfilled all of its duties.

I accept that it might well be a useful tool for the seller to keep a count on what's been despatched and received, but I don't necessarily see it as fair on the buyer. It used to be witheld as a way of blackmailing the buyer into leaving positive feedback even though they had received shoddy service, but fortunately eBay put a stop to that. I do think however, there ought to be some sort of mechanism for flagging up unpaying buyers.
    mkolandian
    ^^ I think you'll be surprised. Just watch!

I have a 'spare' Cafe Corner box I intend to sell soon, so this will be interesting.
    As a seller I leave feedback as soon as I have received payment and dispatched. I have received feedback back from about 90-95% of buyers over the last few months.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I used to not leave feedback until I got something from the buyer. It was largely because I was waiting until the transaction was complete on both ends to comment.

Now, I just do it after each round of auctions is all paid for and shipped. It's just far easier and I can knock them all out at the same time. Feedback from sellers is largely pointless anyway, since you can't actually say anything bad about the buyer.
    iccarus said:

Feedback from sellers is largely pointless anyway, since you can't actually say anything bad about the buyer.

I used characters from word for this feedback for one of my buyers.

"Θ Left me negative feedback even though I refunded him within 24 hrs.! Very impatient buyer!"

(I bent over backwards for this buyer, sending it within an hour of payment and special delivery because they wanted it so quickly - but because they were in such a hurry they didn't read the description!!!)

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited August 2012
    Until very recently, I used to wait until I received feedback from the buyer to leave my feedback on both Bricklink and eBay. My reasoning was twofold, I wanted to know that the buyer had received it and was happy I also wanted to make sure they weren't going to try and pull a fast one on me and open a fraudulent PayPal dispute (has happened to me twice on eBay).

Reading comments on this forum has changed my mind and I can now see that it is fairer (and easier for me) to leave feedback as soon as the buyer has paid. One guy took 12 days to pay though, which I think is unacceptable, I had to contact him three times before I got a response saying he would pay that day and then still took 3 more days to pay.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 2,052
    @Flump I would be interested to see what it goes for. let me know.
    @Redbullgivesuwind - I'd be interested too. I've had it for over a year now and keep meaning to list it. Will probably be another year before I get round to it! .....unless somebody approaches beforehand. ;o)
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 2,052
    @Flump Ha ha yeah i know how you feel. Keep meaning sort out bits and pieces and it always gets put off. If it goes for a lot I might list some of the boxes ive got. Can clear space, keep the lego and make some cash. Im assuming its not mint.
    More and more auctions with high prices and poor photos/descriptions. Just because its original RRP was £1300 (pristine boxes and unplayed with) doesn't mean you will get £650 with it all just chucked in a box and mixed together.
    I know they are a new seller and are just trying to make some cash before Christmas, but come on.. put some effort in to it!
  • jamiewjamiew Member Posts: 165
    My biggest pet peeve are foreign bidders who ignore the 'us shipping only' and bid anyway. I just had an Ebayer from Australia ask if he could bid. I politely told him no and this joker bid and won my auction anyway. I'm trying to get the auction cancled and he doesn't even have the decency to respond now. Here's hoping this-is-my-lucky-day isn't a member here.

Foreign bidders, do not ask me to lie about the value on the customs form or mark it as a gift or ask me to send it by tugboat then complain when it hasn't arrived in three weeks. It just isn't worth the trouble or hassle to sell overseas anymore
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Don't you have the ability to cancel a buyers bid under bid history? I thought there was a link there that you could do so.
    Not after the auction closes and he snuck in his bids in the final seconds unfortunately
    ^ If someone asks such a question, then chances are you should be blocking them from bidding!
    Definitely will in the future.

eBay should also limit bidders to those who have registered in the same country when us only is selected for shipping
    ^ I thought they did.

• ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,676
    edited December 2012
    ^ they do not, but you can select the countries you ship to. You can select US only and non US eBay members can't see/bid on your items. I allow about 50 countries (only those I can ship w/ insurance).

Go to Account->Sellers Account->Site Preferences->Buyers Requirements->
    Buyers in locations to which I don't ship

Then Tag: Block buyers whose primary shipping address is in a location I don't ship to.

Also select US only in Account->Sellers Account->Site Preferences->Shipping preferences->Exclude shipping locations from your listings

Hope that helps.
    Thanks CB- that's a huge help!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,477
    edited December 2012
    Legoboy said:

gifinim said:

Funny that, as a buyer I only leave feedback once the seller has left theirs. I can't any reason at all for a seller to withold feedback once the buyer has completed its side of the transaction ie. won the auction and paid. Afterall, the buyer has fulfilled all of its duties.

I accept that it might well be a useful tool for the seller to keep a count on what's been despatched and received, but I don't necessarily see it as fair on the buyer. It used to be witheld as a way of blackmailing the buyer into leaving positive feedback even though they had received shoddy service, but fortunately eBay put a stop to that. I do think however, there ought to be some sort of mechanism for flagging up unpaying buyers.
    I thought eBay was going to do this, put how many unpaid item flags are on a users account.

I do not like the fact the Sellers cannot leave feedback other than a positive and how it is apparently only sellers that extort positive feedbacks, especially now when sellers cannot leave anything other than a positive.
    Sorry, but if a buyer leaves a negative feedback because the box arrives damaged, or flies off the handle and leaves a negative without first trying to contact the seller (which eBay asks the buyer to do BEFORE leaving a neg feedback, by the way) then the seller should have a right to note this buyer is like that IMO.

^ they do not, but you can select the countries you ship to. You can select US only and non US eBay members can't see/bid on your items. I allow about 50 countries (only those I can ship w/ insurance).

Go to Account->Sellers Account->Site Preferences->Buyers Requirements->
    Buyers in locations to which I don't ship

Then Tag: Block buyers whose primary shipping address is in a location I don't ship to.

Also select US only in Account->Sellers Account->Site Preferences->Shipping preferences->Exclude shipping locations from your listings

Hope that helps.

I stopped selling overseas. I know I cut out a huge market from my items, but I am sick of overseas buyer/bidders, bidding on or buying an item and then not responding at all when I provide the shipping fee (which I ask that they ask me for BEFORE bidder/buying) it just became too much of a hassle IMO.
    @coloradobricks

Yes, you are right. I had that set in my account for a while, and thought it was automatic. I was confusing it with this - in the UK version, if you select no international postage, then the items are only shown on the ebay.co.uk site, so non-UK buyers will not see the item on their own site. But they can see it (and possibly bid) if they use ebay.co.uk. Hence the extra settings are useful to stop foreign bidders if you don't want them.
    "will you accept £x amount for your item I will pay you now.."
    "yes thank you" ------ waits 3 days for payment..and still counting..
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I sell a ton on ebay and about half of my stuff goes international. I have found that as long as I have the proper weight figured in to the listing (along with a $3.50 handling fee for international) that they have become some of my best customers. I have had items go for 30-50% more to international bidders. Ebay's shipping label option makes doing international lables and custom forms a breeze and it also eliminates the "will you mark the value down" problem as the value is automatically generated. All you do is print and sign and request that the USPS carrier pick it up.
    dragonhawk
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    My biggest pet peeve is when you say "US only" and list it that way, that someone in another country still manages to click Buy it now. Then I have to relist.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,676
    @starfire2, check my post 5 above yours, it explains how to prevent non US bidders.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    UKtsumi said:

"will you accept £x amount for your item I will pay you now.."
    "yes thank you" ------ waits 3 days for payment..and still counting..

I love the "Will you accept including shipping? If so, I buy 4 of them"

great - so not only do I get to lose a bunch of money on this, I get to quadruple my losses! what a deal!!!!

• starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329

@starfire2, check my post 5 above yours, it explains how to prevent non US bidders.

Non US bidders were blocked from seeing it, according to the auction, but somehow this guy saw it and clicked Buy it now. Had to relist it.