Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Auction Pet Peeves

Comments

• UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 630
    I dont mind paying for the shipping , just expect abit more care in the packaging, especially if you have paid alot for the item and paid over the top for shipping. I usually ask the seller how they are going to post it, alot of sellers dont realise that some of the value is in the box itself, and presume the lego is protected by the lego box... ! (even those that know its more valuable because of the box, still dont treat it well for posting).
    Many people want to sell their stuff on ebay and dont really care why your buying it, so it really is up to the buyer to ask questions before they buy.
    Unfortunately as the cost of posting has just increased today, there will probably be even more skimping on packaging.
    :(
    Now I got a new one----
    after accepting their best offer, and them not paying for 4 days , now after 4 working days they are complaining they didnt get it????? to me, it looks like they didnt really want it, and are trying to get out of paying! hey ho! I suppose you have to take the bad with the good on ebay!
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,625
    edited May 2012
    @UKtsumi For the packaging of the box to you. Just do what I always do if I bought a set with box. When you pay them, just add this note in the message section.
    Hello, please pack the set well to avoid damage to the box during shipping. I WILL leave negative feedback for poor packaging. Thank you....
    It works every time. Unless I foget to add that message, then it comes wrapped in brown paper and completely torn apart and missing pieces.
    perfect.. why didnt I think of that! thanks.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    Had that happen with 10231, Shuttle Expedition. The idiot wrapped it in inside-out Christmas paper and wondered why I wanted a refund when it was sold as a mint box and when I got it, there was alot of water damage and a hole punched in the front about the size of a half dollar. He refused me a refund so I filed a complaint with eBay and got my money back. Took tons of pics the day I received it as documentation as well as when I was having it packaged at UPS to send back.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    One of my pet hates is when you buy a set for say £100 and then pay £15 to post it, and all you get is it wrapped in cheap thin brown paper!

That happened to me today. The box was all crushed. :-(
  • fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128
    This listing is on Craigslist, so it's not strictly an auction, but it does highlight the overpricing that is rampant on ebay as well:http://houston.craigslist.org/clt/2986557955.html

I don't get how someone can list this for $500, where did they get those MSR prices, this is $125 on a good day, less if sold together. I wonder if people do this out of ignorance or if they are trying to cheat those who are ignorant?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The person isn't asking $500, they are asking $175, which is still too much, but hey, what do they know. :)
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    So, @prof1515, what about a sealed bag that has been removed from the outer box. New or used?

Example might be the Toy Story minifigures removed from a larger Toy Story train, or any other set that is being split into subcomponents.
    In regard to mini-figures out of the box it's always better to call them used because they're not in the condition which they left the factory, ie. sealed in a box. It's the box is opened it is damaged goods worth at most 50% MSRP (unless it's significantly older). It's simply impossible to tell, even from feedback, whether a seller is being completely honest. They may have taken it from the box themselves wearing gloves or they may have bought it from a garage sale, had it on their own shelf for a few years or yanked it out of their kid's mouth. You just don't know.

From a collectors' standpoint, most Lego is mass-produced and fairly recent in terms of age. While an older toy out of the box might still have more value than it originally had, there are enough Lego produced and sold that its value as a collectible is minimal if it's in any condition other than mint in a factory sealed box.

Even for sets older than 20 years I won't pay more than MSRP if they're out of the box. Been burned too many times with "built once and never played with" and other such garbage.

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I don't get how someone can list this for $500, where did they get those MSR prices
    Maybe they bought them at TRU.
    I wonder if people do this out of ignorance or if they are trying to cheat those who are ignorant?
    C. All of the above.

• aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    This listing is on Craigslist, so it's not strictly an auction, but it does highlight the overpricing that is rampant on ebay as well:http://houston.craigslist.org/clt/2986557955.html
    I've been seeing this in the Craigslist in my area as well.

Another thing I've seen on CL that bugs me is referencing an overinflated price from Amazon.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    There is this one specific guy on Craigslist that I absolutely despise. Every listing he creates is spam with references to the prices on Amazon, TRU, Walmart... etc and he also mentions that the buyers are "saving the tax". When in fact, he is buying these sets at US MSRP and advertising them in Canada making the buyer think that they are getting a good deal. He also makes false claims about "EXCLUSIVE TO USA" or "Discontinued" and such when in reality they are still on [email protected]
  • parkerwilsonparkerwilson Member Posts: 142
    edited May 2012
    delete
  • fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128
    The person isn't asking $500, they are asking $175, which is still too much, but hey, what do they know. :)
    You're right...

The $500 value was so frustrating I completely missed the $175 price, which I agree is still overpriced for these sets in used condition.

Then again, this is another example of the same crap. I guess you can choose between a Duplo pirate ship and a new 10030 UCS Imperial Star Destroyer - tough choice...
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    I saw that too. Not worth more than $75-80 for that lot.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 2,052
    Not any more ebay charge you a fee on the whole thing. Postal fees arent exempt anymore
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,298
    ^^^ Overpricing like that doesn't really bother me. I would not even click on it if I saw it at eBay. If an idiot wants to pay that much, more fool them.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,703
    ^ That's not quite true. As ebay takes their fees off the total sale (including shipping) and not just the auction amount.

This is a bit annoying as it means even if you are an honest seller and post at cost, you still need to factor in the extra 10% that ebay are going to take off your postage cost.

As a buyer I factor in the total price, so if postage is high, I'm going to bid less. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 2,052
    ^sorry that was what i meant that it is now the total cost. Was not being clear.

It is annoying as a sellar but it does stop people making money of stupid shipping costs. Which is only a good thing in my mind.

Nope I always bid less and set a budget if it goes over oh well. Some one will pay silly money for a set then thats there look out
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    I hate it when you watch an item all week and it disappears from the site 24hours before the end.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 908
    As someone who frequently buys Transformers from the Far East from Ebay, I'm actually quite a big fan of bumping up shipping costs and pulling the item cost down so that all-in it works out as the price you're happy to pay for the item - it means that the seller doesn't have to tell a huge lie when filling out the customs form on the side of the box with regards to how much was actually paid for the iteam itself, nicely avoiding customs charges (which can be highly unpleasant when you get stung!)
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,703
    My above comment was to a comment that seems to have disappeared?!! sorry @ccc.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,152
    edited May 2012
    Daft ebayers or misleading sale item?

How much sympathy do you have for ebayers who make daft bids on stuff?

I was looking at some Avengers stuff and saw the "Hulk's helicarrier breakout" set on sale. The actual description said "Hulks helicarrier breakout box and instructions" It goes on to say that it contains no minifigs. The bidding ended on £26. Before it ended:-)I asked the seller whether everything but the minifigs were included, as I couldn't believe the price if it was just literally the box and instructions ( it was a fair price for the vehicular pieces I thought). The seller privately replied to me confirming it was for literally the empty box and instructions only. There is going to be one pissed off recipient when that arrives in the post!

So what's everyones take on it? Did the buyer get whats coming for being so daft, or is the seller a bit of a swindler? When bidding got to £26 I think the seller knew what people thought they were bidding on.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,271
    If the listing specifically mentioned no minifigures but didnt say no parts then it would probably be considered misleading. Should be reported to ebay as a fraudulent acution.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    the seller was being deliberately misleading and knows exactly what he is doing - it's dishonest. That said, buyer's need to take some personal responsibility and read carefully.

I can't imagine this seller could do this regularly and remain with good feedback for long.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    ^^ Definitely deceptive. The seller should emphasize no minifigs AND parts. There are times when people want the box or instructions (i.e. Market St), but not in this case.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,152
    Well "jddesigns" seems to part out everything including the manuals and boxes separately. When description says "You are bidding on box and instructions only, no minifigs" the supposition from the gullible bidders must be that you are getting a filled box (parts) with the minifigs removed. They have a 100% feedback from 730 users. The look on the recipient's face when postie arrives will be priceless. No one with a conscience could enforce the sale, but has the seller broken any rules? Probably not.

OMG! has anyone just seen the 2nd Newcastle goal tonight? How did Cisse bend that? Had to make that off topic comment after seeing the highlights - goal of the season!
    ^ if it said "you are bidding on box and instructions only" then it would be fine. Adding the "no minifigs" at the end creates confusion and a possible implication that the other pieces ARE included. It's still the buyer's responsibility to clarify, but this is highly deceptive.
  • cynthilinacynthilina Member Posts: 188
    I would agree that the buyer was very underhanded and knew it. however it is a buyer beware type of thing. Someone smart enough to see the writing and question it was smart enough to ask the right question. Someone who just sees a great deal and throws money at it deserves what they get.
    It is best to ask any and all questions before bidding. If he said to a prospective buyer that there were no pieces either and that buyer bid anyways, that is the bidders problem.
    Had that happen with 10231, Shuttle Expedition. The idiot wrapped it in inside-out Christmas paper and wondered why I wanted a refund when it was sold as a mint box and when I got it, there was alot of water damage and a hole punched in the front about the size of a half dollar. He refused me a refund so I filed a complaint with eBay and got my money back. Took tons of pics the day I received it as documentation as well as when I was having it packaged at UPS to send back.
    I think I bought from the same seller. It was wrapped in inside out christmas paper and had water marks on the side of the box. The peices inside are as dusty as hell. Thats just gross
    @oldtodd33 I used your quote
    "Hello, please pack the set well to avoid damage to the box during shipping. I WILL leave negative feedback for poor packaging. Thank you...."
    in the message section, and the parcel arrived today wrapped really well in cardboard. Thanks
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    @Redbullgivesuwind I didn't even open the box or even take off the wrapping paper. I took tons of pics, emailed him I wanted a refund, he said "No way in heck and you can't make me", left him negative feedback, filed complaint with eBay, returned it with eBay covering cost of shipping tag, and got my money back.
    I would have returned it but this time he had packed it well in a box abd a tishue paper. So cant for dust just have to let it soak
    I guess my pet peeves are ...

1) listing as "LEGO/megabloks".
    2) "you will receive a random selection of items similar to (or from) those shown". In reality you will probably receive the worst parts, and the amount you get will be tiny in comparison to the amount in the picture.

I have never bought from either type of auction.
    here we go again , the same italian scammer lists again!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150808840190&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

how come ebay dont notice these??? all his members that give him feedback are of his own making..
    Avoid this one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/oasso1971/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
    or put £1 bids on everything so he cant just go private with his feedback, and ebay may have a chance in nabbing him?
    update - he's just cancelled my bids, and blocked me. why dont ebay do anything? hes been scamming like this for years!!!
    How about when sellers take a picture of the item with the clearance sticker clearly visable?
    ^ dumb selling, but nothing really to complain about. doesn't matter what someone paid for something, only what people are now willing to pay that person for it.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^^@UKtsumi this is exactly the type of seller than ruins it all for everyone. I'll be watching for his listings and reporting each chance I get.
    @dougts: It's a peeve for me and isn't that the point of the discussion?
    yeah, sorry. didn't mean to imply it wasn't. what I should have said is that it isn't anything that is unethical or underhanded. Just stupid. re-reading my post, I didn't convey my thoughts well at all.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    I just saw a Ebay-auction which read like:"Cad Bane's speeder MISB without Minifigures"
    I really wonder how that guy removed the Figures w/o touching the seals;)
    ^ Keep in mind that many people outside of forums like this don't consider MISB to actually mean the box is mint or sealed...

What they mean is the Lego bricks themselves are mint and sealed in their factory bags.

Just saying... not agreeing...
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Slick sellers will usually just use the words "New in box". Just vague enough to either mean msib or an opened box with sealed lego bags. The box can be really messed up but the bags are new. I always ask the seller about the condition of the box when I see these types of auctions.
    i also think MISB is one of those acronyms that is becoming so popular and kind of obfuscated, that many people using it may not even know what it actually is supposed to mean - they just think/assume it is some sort of catchy code word for "new". Others know what it means, but also know they can get more eyeballs by using buzz-phrases such as that one.

My issue with MISB in terms of LEGO is what is meant by "mint" - is the LEGO mint, or is the box mint? I know the general use that is meant by old comic book, coin, and trading card collectors, but that is not an accurate comparison - those items ARE the product. In LEGO, the box is not the product. Looking at the term in English: "Mint IN sealed box". When you break that down linguistically, what is being described as mint is whatever is being sold - in this case the LEGO bricks. The box is only being said to be sealed. if the box were mint as well (a highly subjective term), then you should use MIMSB instead.

the use of the term mint in regards to LEGO should really just go away entirely. the LEGO pieces are either new or used, they are either in a sealed box or not, and the condition of the box should be described deliberately (if the seller wishes to do so). the reasonable and prudent assumption of a LEGO set being sold as new and sealed in box is that the box condition would be what one would expect to find on a shelf in a store - some minor shelf wear, smudging, or minor dings, but no major dents, creases, crush marks, etc. the onus is then on the buyer to inquire about more specific box conditions, as most LEGO buyers don't care about this anyway.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,325
    @CCC I agree with you 100% about condition. For some reason many AFOLs use provenance (the history of the LEGO item) as a basis for condition (new vs. old). But for most of the collectibles hobby, it's all about Condition... Condition... Condition... with provenance not even coming into the picture, except for determining the origins of a collectible.
    ^ Another view point:

From a legal perspective, a "new" item is one sold by an authorized reseller/distributor/manufacture. Once it leaves that point of sale, it is forever "used".

Now, we all know this, or don't care, since we're generally not going to court over Lego purchases, however it is a point of law. Unless you're an authorized Lego reseller, you're never selling "legally new" stuff.

Does anyone care? No, but it is part of provenance, if you do care.

Other areas, it does legally matter, my favorite example is a car, a car is only "new" when it has never been titled. Has nothing to do with condition, age, miles, or anything else, simply has it ever been "owned" and put into someone's name. If so, it is used, if not, it is new, period.

A car dealer can drive a car 20,000 miles, have every person in the dealership take it for the weekend, beat the heck out of it, but if had dealer tags on it the whole time, it is still a "new" car and can be sold as such, regardless of condition. It gets "new car warranty", "new car financing", etc. If you buy it and own it 10 years, you can legally say "one owner car".

A car that has been titled for 5 minutes and has 5 miles on it and has never left the dealer lot and is in mint condition, is a "used" car.

Just something to think about... :)
    MISB means nothing these days. You need to ask the seller what it means. Some people take it to be mint in sealed box, others mint in sealed bags, others still mint in sealed bags but not the original bags (ie. removed and placed in grip seal bags). Does appearing in a perfectly good sealed box mean the Lego inside is mint? Not necessarily. That box may have been shaken and shaken, scratching all the Lego inside. If you really want Lego in the best possible condition,there is only one place to buy it.

Another one often abused one (for clothes) is BNWT - brand new with tags. Some people use it for brand new without tags. If you don't ask a seller what it means, it is meaningless.