Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

CUUSOO Corner

Comments

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    edited May 2012
    As has been mentioned the white house should fall foul of their 'Politics and political symbols' ban - it has immense political symbolism. Not that I have a problem with it at all.

But their list makes a lot of sense to me, the post WW2 thing is interesting, and not sure how the swearing thing works.
  • prof1515prof1515 Member Posts: 1,550
    As has been mentioned the white house should fall foul of their 'Politics and political symbols' ban - it has immense political symbolism. Not that I have a problem with it at all.

But their list makes a lot of sense to me, the post WW2 thing is interesting, and not sure how the swearing thing works.
    The White House isn't a Cuusoo set though there is a mini model of the U.S. Capital building.

The prohibition on swearing could be valid in many cases. I remember seeing a restaurant called Fuk Yu. I'm sure it means something completely different than it does in English but all it takes is one wiseass to put such a sign in their model....

As for my two pence I cant honestly think of anything where lego has broken its own rules.
    ^ It was more of a reply to this, and a continuation of the ongoing discussion of whether Lego are hypocritical. It would be crazy to put in rules for Cuusoo projects that Lego didn't follow for their main product line.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,411
    Just breaking up the conversation a bit to push two ideas I loaded up a bit ago
    http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/13639 - now a massive 20 votes wow (sarcastic)
    &
    http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/2227 - 93 votes, actually for this sort of model, that isn't a bad number, non licensed and small.

Back to the topic. It really does seem to be a bit of a mess. As many people say a lot of current and past Lego sets are drawn from dark worlds like Batman or LoTR's, both of which are comparable with Firefly, please tell me if you think the fantasy basis for the Orks or Uriki in LoRT's are different from the Reavers in Firefly. From memory both are born from mutated humans, and both hunt and kill. As for Batman, anyone that has been reading the Grant Morrison run of late can't argue it isn't dark, dark stuff and although the Lego isn't born from this material it is linked. My 4 year old has now announced Batman is her (yes her) favourite superheroes after helping me build some of the recent sets and as a result wants to read daddys 'comics' about Batman, no way on this earth is that going to happen.

I agree with avoiding real world events, issues that could cause offence etc ,but when things come from a fantasy world the rules change. Someone mentioned Terminator earlier in ther thread and while I agree Lego would never make Lego based on this, other companies target kids with this universe, I have seen 10 year olds in a certain shop in London buying terminator action figures and I am sure they haven't seen the films (but who knows) and again, the death in the films is no worse that in SW or Indiana Jones, a mans face melts off in that one.

As for video games, I think Lego will steer clear unless they make the game themselves (Mincraft aside), but even then in the Harry potter games you can blow people up with your wand, or in the SW games you hack them apart with a lightsaber, yes is in a cartoon style, but these games aren't without their violent undertone if you look (don't get me wrong, I love those games, in fact they are about the only ones I play), but the only difference between them and others is the style they are presented in.

I think the best idea I have read here is to break the site into sections, licences, non-licensed etc and adjust the voting limits accordingly, but that might mean one section gets all the hits, the other totally ignored, who knows, iether way I am sure Lego. Didn't quite realise what they were in for once this site got going.

• ninjagolightlyninjagolightly Member Posts: 140
    This epic use of photoshop to make an idea look just fantastic deserves votes for presentation alone!
    Star Wars Ultrabuild
    http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/15448

I am not even a SW fan particularly and I greatly dislike all the Ultrabuild sets in themselves, even though I love the parts for HF MOCs. SW Ultrabuild models that looked this good might make me actually build the models rather than parting them out straight from the bags!

This will fail Huw's "never gonna happen" test since I'm sure this would violate the "no action figures" clause of the SW license. But vote for it anyway because it's awesome!
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Member Posts: 2,108
    @Cheshirecat I think though at the same time there is a just as strong arguement for saying that places like the white house or big ben are architecture peices as well. What I do think they mean by political is rather having a lego moc of the labour party confrence.

That would be against the lego rules. And having a building in my mind doesnt automatically make it political even if it is used for making policies
  • andheandhe Member Posts: 3,911
    ^I think they should say 'politically sensitive' rather than just political. So the White House is acceptable, but Tiananmen Square or something similar, would not be.
    ^ and ^^ I think you're missing the point. The white house shouldn't fail because its a building where political things happen rather because of what it stands for not to us in the UK and certainly not to people in the US but to others in, lets say, more dangerous parts of the world. i.e. it would still fail because of it being 'politically sensitive'.
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    The appropriateness of a movie to kids mostly depends on the parents. Mine let me watch Terminator 2 when I was 9. My mother explicitly made me watch A Clockwork Orange when I was 5. I didn't grow up to become neither a thug nor a machine sent from the future (but I wish I had!)..

On the other hand I know parents who didn't let their teenage (!) kids watch The Lord of the Rings. I understand that TLG may think otherwise but .. come on!
    Even though I wouldn't do it (my three year olds favourite film is Star Wars Episode 3 - Bad Parent??) I definitely prefer the parents that stop their teenage children from watching The Lord of The Rings to a parent that lets (let alone makes) a five year old watch A Clockwork Orange?!?!?
  • graphitegraphite Member Posts: 3,275
    or in the SW games you hack them apart with a lightsaber
    I'd have to say my favorite part of the LEGO SW game is punching the other player characters till they explode. Makes me laugh ever time.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Member Posts: 993
    Someone mentioned Terminator earlier in ther thread and while I agree Lego would never make Lego based on this, other companies target kids with this universe, I have seen 10 year olds in a certain shop in London buying terminator action figures and I am sure they haven't seen the films (but who knows) and again, the death in the films is no worse that in SW or Indiana Jones, a mans face melts off in that one.
    Ah come on, are you really comparing Terminator to SW and IJ? IJ has a few intense moments as I mentioned in my last post, but you can't possibly compare it to the violence in the first two Terminator films. Again there's some subjectivity in this, but I always felt that the death scene you're referencing in Raiders of the Lost Ark felt somewhat slapstick; it's so ridiculous that it's bordering on amusing. That is on another planet to the likes of T-1000 impaling people through their eyes in T2.

As well as that, I think people are focusing too much on comparing individual scenes/instances of violence between films. You have to look at the bigger picture in terms of a film's overall tone. The Terminator films are infinitely darker than the likes of SW and IJ.

On a separate note, I'm not a fan of Hero Factory-style sets but your SW Ultrabuilds are very well done. Would they fall foul of the Hasbro action figure license, or would they be fair game since they're 'buildable' action figures?
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,258
    ^ spot on, the tone and context of a film is key when the BBFC classify films, it's the reason The Hunger Games got a 12 certificate in the UK when it is essentially a film about kids killing kids as a form of entertainment.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas Member Posts: 8,404
    ^ I think it is a sad statement on our society today that The Hunger Games not only got a PG-13 rating, but that it is as popular as it is...

The idea of kids killing kids for entertainment is absurd... There are 20 children killed in this movie, and it is the next big thing?

How sad...
    It's not like i was "forced" to watch A Clockwork Orange. It's her favourite movie so she thought I could like it. I didn't understand much of it, till I saw it again when I was older. But scenes of naked women, drugs, violence, etc. didn't affect me.. Right... ? RIght???? :D Oh yea, I became a Lego addict!

^ As for ACO, THG shows a dystopian future. It's not like they are advocating omicidal teenage manhunts as the next olympic sport. The people do seem to want to rebel about the status quo (I didn't read the books but I assume that's the overarching plot of the series). And that is a very dark movie I'd say.

^^It has also sent sales of the books through the roof and has got more kids reading which is not a terrible thing. As well as a strong central female character who does not have to be good looking or where next to nothing while being kick arse. Nor is there any mass blood and the killing scenes are star wars style tame. Sorry ill take my fan glasses off.

@Cheshirecat no I do get what you mean that it wont go down in some places. But I think its better than a model of a F16 etc which would be worse. This is much more architecture than I would say is about politics
  • Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 224
    I killed plenty of my friends when I played Cowboys and Indians or Star Wars or Robocop or numerous other games based on films. The only programme I watched that didn't have killing in it was The A-Team. And we used to take the mick out of that when we played it. The one film that upset (and scarred, if you will) me the most? Bambi. I hope Lego don't produce a set on that which includes Bambi's Mother.

If you explain things to them children can comprehend most things. I also used to like being scared by the Cybermen and guts and gore.Yes, it upset me but my parents then calmed me down and assuaged my fears. It's good for kids to be scared within a safe environment. I suspect that most parents buying Lego provide that. I understand why Lego have their policy, but also think they can stretch it more than they do.

I've nothing to fear from Lego though. The only thing that stopped me sleeping was being told how the universe would end in 6 billion years (Yes, in my childhood arrogance I assumed I'd still be around!) I'm sure Lego aren't going to produce a set on the heat death of the universe (It would have to have set number ∞ though!)
    ^ the universe? Our sun you mean :)
    Tha last black dwarf (hypothetical remnant of a died white dwarf) would fade into nothingness only after hundreds trillion years! There's still plenty of time. Assuming that the thermal death of the universe is the true hypothesis (opposed to say a "big crunch")

Sorry, go on :D
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    I am a big Star Wars fan, and one of the few sets that I think is a disappointment and a missed opportunity is 4501 Mos Eisley. I therefore did my own Cantina for me and my daughter. It is also doubles as a good playset and display place for figures I have lying about.

I uploaded it to Cuusoo today. Hope you like!

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/16506
  • Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 224
    ^^ I do mean our sun/solar system! Oops! I didn't learn other theories until I was somewhat older. I suspect the big crunch would've have scared me so much I would've grown up an insomniac.
    The lion king is far more scary than sw episode three so its definately not always black and white.

The hunger games film is so inferior to the book(s) its crazy. But 12 or 13 up id probably right for both.
    I am not making a direct comparison between IJ or SW and terminator as they are different, but I don't think they are as different as people might like to think. The violence in the films only really differs with the tone, as mentioned above and entirely correctly I think as that is the overriding distinction. But at a face value the difference between the T2 scene with the helicopter pilot getting skewered and say Darth Maul gutting Jin befor being sliced in half by Obi Wan isn't that dissimilar, it is just one film is presenting a fictional view of what might happen but obviously can't, the other is just plain fictional.
    Either way, it is right that taking scenes in isolation is like taking statements out of context but it is fair to say if you look at some of the current licences and things like the rejected Firefly model or the Winchester Pub (which has a highly comedic tone overall and even depicts Zombie Ed playing computer games at the end) there are double standards here.

Must mention the hunger games comment, the film is an adaptation of a set of extremely popular books, that while disturbing in its use of kids (which is exactly the reaction the author is going for), within the context of the story they serve to spawn hope and an age old message of rising up against oppression to strive for a better future. Reading these book or watching the films and being popular is not a sad relegation on society as this is ultimately an uplifting story with a strong moral message. Again if you take the film at face value at least the kids in the hunger games get a fighting chance, how so you think the kids in the mines in temple of doom got on, child slave labour is just as disturbing? Anyway these are all fictional stories meant to entertain, illicit emotions and entertain in equil measure, which they do. Oh and to Lego the comment I think I saw a hunger games idea on Cuusoo, if it is still there it will never happen.
  • caperberrycaperberry Member Posts: 2,226
    And they shot Bambi's mum. Hey, LEGO already have Disney licenses...
  • princedravenprincedraven Member Posts: 3,764
    ^ :( was gonna watch that tonight, talk about a spoiler!!
  • dmg111dmg111 Member Posts: 40

All I see is a generic 'the Firefly TV show and Serenity film contain content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11' - nothing specific. Did they make a separate announcement with a specific reason?
    Read up a few paragraphs:

"We are sorry to inform you that your LEGO CUUSOO project "Firefly Serenity " has been removed to reflect the new Project Guidelines (lego.cuusoo.com/guidelines), which do not allow content related to realistic or extreme violence."
    This was actually just posted on their Facebook page:
    LEGO Cuusoo
    Hi everyone, thank you for your comments.

The primary reason we have decided not to consider the Firefly IP for a LEGO product is the Inara Serra character, who is a "companion," or prostitute. This character and her profession are central to the story in the Firefly TV series. The character is inextricably linked to the story, and it isn’t possible to produce the model and license the IP without creating a link between the LEGO brand and this character. In this process, we have made our decision for brand fit up front as it is the first logical step in the process; it is upon this basis alone that we have made our decision.

The LEGO Company produces many products that appeal to older builders and adults, and we will continue to expand what we offer for adult fans. At the same time, our products and the IPs they represent must be content-appropriate for a younger audience.

LEGO CUUSOO is a new initiative for us. Opening ourselves up for product suggestions means we must naturally articulate more clearly how we make decisions related to our brand. This is something we haven’t had to do before. Not everyone will be happy with the decisions we make, and people may question our actions and motives. That is one of the costs of being more open, however the benefits and possibilities are far greater. While there will be some disappointments along the way, we will stay focused on the many possible product ideas that are both appropriate for all ages and appeal to adults.
    https://facebook.com/LEGO.CUUSOO/posts/378391602197818
    Must mention the hunger games comment...Reading these book or watching the films and being popular is not a sad relegation on society as this is ultimately an uplifting story with a strong moral message.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you.

What comes next, movies about the rape and abuse of children? Will they write "an uplifting story with a strong moral message" to go along with that?

That crap actually happens, in the real world, but I don't want to go see a movie about it, no matter what the message, nor do I think we should be making such movies (even if they make it non-graphic and show nothing).

The fact is, at the end of the day, millions of people are paying money to go watch a movie about kids killing other kids. The subject matter is beyond disgusting, I find it morally objectionable, and will never see it.

Of course you may disagree, but that is how I feel about it.
    edited May 2012

This was actually just posted on their Facebook page:
    LEGO Cuusoo
    Hi everyone, thank you for your comments.

The primary reason we have decided not to consider the Firefly IP for a LEGO product is the Inara Serra character, who is a "companion," or prostitute. This character and her profession are central to the story in the Firefly TV series. The character is inextricably linked to the story, and it isn’t possible to produce the model and license the IP without creating a link between the LEGO brand and this character.
    That is actually reasonable... Wish they had said that right off the bat. :)

But I can accept that as the reason. The world we live in today does not accept the concept of the "world's oldest profession" as legitimate, so Lego wants nothing to do with it.
    The great thing about the creative arts is they challenge and invite debate, and ultimately people are free to watch/read what they like. Rightly or Wrongly Hollywood, film and tv already produce films and shows that put the many attrocities committed in society at the centre of their story lines, films like Lord of War, Derailed etc, almost every episode of CSI, Dexter, Criminal Minds, the list is long and not overly distinguished. Of course that opens up a rather non Lego based debate around the roll of media and censorship etc. actually that probably factors into Legos mind when looking at licences, as their latest release points to with the underlying reasons for canning the firefly project.
    But you are absurdly right everyone is entitled too and should have their own views on subject matter, it would be a very dull world if everyone thought the same. I for one hate slasher, horror movies and things like human centerpeed, I would never watch them, but other like it, each to their own I guess.
    What this does show is how hard Legohave made it for themselves with Cuusoo and what may come their way.
    The fact is, at the end of the day, millions of people are paying money to go watch a movie about kids killing other kids. The subject matter is beyond disgusting, I find it morally objectionable, and will never see it.

Of course you may disagree, but that is how I feel about it.
    On this one we shall have to agree to disagree :-D.

Anyone else find it interesting the front page reaction there was some real toy throwing going on there. But lego may have found something that has really devided the community I wnder if that actually might be more damaging than what it is meant to do which is bring us all closer together to share ideas.
  • gtrocks1111gtrocks1111 Member Posts: 1
    If you like lego and Sonic the Hedgehog, check out this project! http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/16256
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,526

What this does show is how hard Legohave made it for themselves with Cuusoo and what may come their way.
    I'm not so sure it is hard. Anyone can make anything they like out of Lego and put it on the web. Other people may like it, or not. It is up to Lego if they want to decide to market it. If people that don't buy Lego support a SOTD or Firefly or anything else project, then it does not get made, so what? They were not Lego fans, they were unlikely to be Lego fans, but they got to see what Lego can be used to build.

They still have the option to build something themselves if they want it. Or buy it from a custom store. They just cannot buy it direct from Lego.
    Kudos to LEGO for issuing that forthright clarification.
    They seem to be manning up to deal with the inherent messiness of this.
    It's bold stuff for a huge company in a conservative industry.
    There will probably be a Harvard Business School case about this someday, succeed or fail.
    Buckle up for the ride, kids!
    So, I'm wondering, what other potential licenses would be ruled out by the "no prostitutes" rule? (Which I have to agree with.) Quite a lot of Westerns, I would think. Does the modular project have a bordello?
    Maybe to avoid having to issue a press release about their stance on prostitution, which you can imagine is an awkward sort of thing to do-- (headline picked up by mass media: "The LEGO Group Clarifies Stance on Prostitution." Ouch.)-- LEGO should have used the grounds that the crew of Serenity swear in Chinese all the time...
  • fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128
    Lego is being more cautious with Cuusoo than their general product lines because they are not going to spend the big bucks for focus groups and risk assessment that they do when launching flagship product lines like Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I'm sure Lego had several people working for significant amounts of time on whether they could tolerate Indiana Jones and later LOtR as a brand, and concluded they would.

For a Cuusoo product they are going to have strict guidelines as they won't spend these extra resources determining the viability of the product. Most likely they were told by the top executives that they should keep within the same content parameters as the existing products, which the Cuusoo staff evaluated then put into the list posted on the blog. It probably took them a few hours of labor, but these rules can be kept for the entire lifespan of the Cuusoo project/theme.

As for why Lego is doing this, it's obvious when one sees the kind of reactions the friends line got from activists as well as the negative press Lego got a few years ago when the media got ahold of pictures of custom Taliban/ Al-Qaeda minifigures. They have to keep a squeaky clean image, otherwise someone in the media will blow things up and trigger a potential customer backlash. In Europe they will have issues with war and violence for the most part, while American media is very sensitive towards sexuality.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    So, I'm wondering, what other potential licenses would be ruled out by the "no prostitutes" rule? (Which I have to agree with.) Quite a lot of Westerns, I would think. Does the modular project have a bordello?
    I doubt it. A western set could have a bar with a barmaid (there are already women like this in Lego). If you want her to be a prostitute, then let it be.

There is a key line from that Lego statement: This character and her profession are central to the story in the Firefly TV series.

Prostitution is not a key storyline in most westerns.
  • andyscouseandyscouse Member Posts: 365
    This is an awesome Cuusoo entry:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/10475

Way, way better than the rubbishy starships that seem to float to the top of the Cuusoo voting pool.
  • fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128

Way, way better than the rubbishy starships that seem to float to the top of the Cuusoo voting pool.
    Yeah, I've spent quite a bit of time on those projects in the 100-400 support range as there are a lot of great builds that could realistically be made into a Cuusoo model, including a few great modular buildings, the one you mentioned included. I see the Cuusoo project as an awesome opportunity to expand my collection of those buildings, and I'm surprised so few else have, as the modular line seems to be so popular.

In other Cuusoo news, the Modular Western Town only has ~280 votes remaining, so we might see it achieving support soon!

^^ Hexagonal floor looks good too!
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291
    edited May 2012

Now this is more like it. People need to spend a bit more time supporting stuff like this.

It's just an opinion so don't lynch me but... I really, REALLY don't want to see Lego producing models from anime TV series, online MMO's and even most of the films that have been suggested above. Even PotC and Toy Story Lego disgusts me.

I don't discount the amount of effort that people put into some of these creations but I can't help but feel a lot of these creations are entirely selfish. I think builders should spend more time thinking "what does the Lego audience want?", instead of "I love this, so Lego should build it!" (this paragraph isn't phrased well, but I hope you can see what I'm trying to say).

I love toffee. I also love fillet steak. But I'm not going to try and eat them together, because for most normal folk they are MUCH more enjoyable seperately.

A great number of the IP ideas that have been mentioned above have genuinely got me feeling physically sick and deeply concerned (actually it might just be all the coffee, but still). I mean seriously, anime Lego? I think that's the thing that scares me the most. I just don't want to see the Lego product range flooded with an overwhelming amount of themes.

I guess at the end of the day I'm a purist. This thread literally terrifies me and this shall be my first and last post within it. Hoping you don't misunderstand me, or think that I'm against new Lego ideas because I'm absolutely not. I just have strong belief in original ideas that fit in with Lego from both the past and present.

:(

Oh I'd just like to add: That Exo-Suit is absolutely stunning. And as a couple of folks have already stated, that dude should have a job at Lego by now.
  • mr_bennmr_benn Member Posts: 941
    ^Genuinely feeling physically sick? Literally terrified?

I think it's the spacecake... ;-)
    That model and his diner/theatre are amazing but no way would I spend what £300? on it.

I also completely disagree with ^. I find far more imagination and skill in many of the well done licensed models than yet another modular. The apple store modular actually makes me want to punch someone.
    If a modular came out of cuusoo, I'd love it to be a modular MOC kit. A selection of 1x? bricks in a couple of colours, window pieces, roof pieces, decorative pieces, .... and no instructions. It's not going to happen though.
    Zelda apparently passed the 10,000 supporters. I'll be very surprised if it gets an official design. If they get one, I want Lego The Elder Scrolls!
    ^ would be a much better idea. Don't get me wrong, I love the modulars but to me its a waste of cuusoo. Either they are amazing like the two mentioned above in which case they are probably prohibitive expensive for me (and most I guess) or they are just a basic square building with a nice interior. Lovely, but why not just do it yourself - they are clearly the perfect way to create a stunning MOC. Create a nice building, use the existing modulars and their techniques for inspiration and then fill it with your creativity and imagination. I'm about half way through my Lego Shop modular, but have ideas for a dentist (using the CMFs), hair dresser, cafe (using the friends cafe) etc etc. Its so easy.
  • starfire2starfire2 Member Posts: 1,333
    My favorite is the squirrel.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    edited May 2012
    Don't forget the underappreciated Bad Girls! ;o)

Did anyone else read the bit from @SpaceCakes post where he said 'I love toffee, I love fillet steak' and then mentally 'But i wonder which one is better. There is only one way to find out...fight'. Or just me :-)
  • LegogeekLegogeek Member Posts: 714
    Don't forget the underappreciated Bad Girls! ;o)

I was thinking more like Buffalo Gals