Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

CUUSOO Corner

Comments

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    Banning licenced ideas might be too extreme in my opinion. But would having too different vote requirements be acceptable? Say 15,000 for licensed and 7,500 for normal projects.
    I should add, banning licensed projects anyway as viral/community marketing that these sets create is probably TLGs main upside from Cuusoo. But something needs to be done to keep it sensible.
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman Member Posts: 1,191
    Anyone think my replica of Carl's house is better?
    edited May 2012
    Anyone think my replica of Carl's house is better?Maybe I missed it, but did you post a link, I'd like to have a look? Oh, and better than what...?

atkinsar:

Better than it was. http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/14603 Built it again from scratch.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,258
    ^ that's the second time you've asked that question, firstly it would help if you provided a link and secondly, better than what?
    Oops. Double posted by accident.
    I gave the link to the house up there on Cuusoo, and better than it was, I mean.
    I've just had a look at your idea and then looked at picture of it from the cartoon, honestly, I think it needs more work. In fact, IMO the source material isn't too inspiring unless you also find a way to include the balloons, then you might have something. Of course all of this is just my opinion.
    Any suggestions?
  • princedravenprincedraven Member Posts: 3,764
    ^ My suggestion would be to ditch that idea and try something new.
    I agree with @atkinsar in that the house is pretty plain, what makes it interesting is the 500 odd balloons which IMO is pretty much impossible to represent with Lego.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Member Posts: 7,539
    I agree that there appears to be a disparity of imagination/creativity with the current batch of CUUSOO all being licensed themes. However, there might be a silver lining in it for Lego. I imagine a fairly significant number of the people who end up voting for Minecraft, Serenity, EVE, Shaun of the Dead, and the others are potentially new Lego customers who never would have walked down the toy aisle before but might be spurred to go grab a set or two after being drawn in by one of these projects. Hopefully even failed projects like SotD will light or re-light the Lego fire in some new builders
    ^ I agree with that and would add that I'd bet a fair number of people driven to the site will stay a while, have a look around and vote for a few other projects, hopefully non-licenced. They probably don't stray too far from the top 10 though, and that's an area that the site could improve upon.
    Thanks, but I want to keep trying.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Administrator Posts: 6,754
    ^ Go for it - if you have a passion for the subject matter then that's great !

As for putting it on Cuusoo with a view to getting LEGO to produce it, however, I'm afraid it's a case of trying to run before you can even crawl - best to concentrate on enjoying building something for your own pleasure rather than the pursuit of fame and glory I'd suggest...
  • dmg111dmg111 Member Posts: 40
    They will likely be redesigned by LEGO anyway, so no worries if you don't like the current designs on CUUSOO.
    edited May 2012
    ^ Go for it - if you have a passion for the subject matter then that's great !

As for putting it on Cuusoo with a view to getting LEGO to produce it, however, I'm afraid it's a case of trying to run before you can even crawl - best to concentrate on enjoying building something for your own pleasure rather than the pursuit of fame and glory I'd suggest...
    I'm more only sticking it on Cuusoo, bcause I don't know if all the parts I used in LDD exist to buy. If I knew I could get the parts, I'd never have put it on Cuusoo.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Member Posts: 2,108
    ^All the parts in LDD you can buy either from bricklink or lego themselves. There is literally nothing that bricklink doesnt have.

That said using @Modeltrainman as an example the one good thing that seems to be coming from Cuusoo is that it is encouraging people to try and build something they have a passion for and hopefully it will spur them on to greater and bigger builds as people learn what looks good and what does not, what works and doesnt work, new techniques etc.
    edited May 2012
    They(LEGO) don't have the brown hinges.
  • prof1515prof1515 Member Posts: 1,550
    ^ Sorry to say but I'm not impressed with any of the recent projects which have passed the 10K mark apart from the Winchester... The two ships are ordinary in the extreme - it's all abut the two licences rather than the actual models - the BTTF design is clunky and unattractive, and the Zelda 'design' doesn't seem to be a design at all, just a plea for LEGO to do something Zelda. Great - how imaginative. It's a blessed relief that LEGO will come up with their own designs for these if the projects do eventually get greenlit, but my initial excitement that Cuusoo would result in some of the imaginative and wonderful MOCs out there reaching a wider population has been extinguished and replaced with despair at the lack of imagination being displayed by the voting public. Shame.
    Agreed. Cuusoo is basically becoming the latest extension of fanboi wetdreaming instead of an outlet for creativity and innovative design.

Wow, thanks! I'd heard of Bricklink but didn't know they had all that. I could build literally anything I wanted...
    Agreed. Cuusoo is basically becoming the latest extension of fanboi wetdreaming instead of an outlet for creativity and innovative design.
    Does this mean you wont vote for my star wars, Star Tek, Superman, Batman super duper cross over minifigure bucket then. containing every character from those themes ever :-D
  • prof1515prof1515 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited May 2012
    Does this mean you wont vote for my star wars, Star Tek, Superman, Batman super duper cross over minifigure bucket then. containing every character from those themes ever :-D
    That was you?!?! I was tempted to vote for your Deluxe Minifigure Bucket which contained every character done in three versions: yellow, flesh-tone and chrome! I mean, who doesn't want a chrome Jar Jar!

No, as much as I'd love to see Star Trek done in Lego, I won't bother voting for any licensed stuff on Cuusoo. Licensed products involve Lego and the licensee holder, not fan suggestions (at least not early on). I still hope some day that Lego acquires the Star Trek license because I believe it has potential but Cuusoo should be focused on builders' creativity, not the business potential of licenses.

• Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca Member Posts: 618
    A lot of the reactions to recently-achieved CUUSOO projects confuse me. I know some of you are actually being pragmatic about the chances regarding Lego actually going through and producing these various sets that will require a license, but aside from what happened to the Shaun of the Dead-inspired set, there really is no clear precedent. Our "logical" prognostications are really bunk until Lego actually does start making decisions on these things. If you ask me, I say all four are going to be made.

Out of the recent projects that reached 10,000, I am very excited for the Back to the Future set. Who cares if it is "old"; why even consider that if you think it's awesome? I did not grow up on those movies, but I loved them once I saw them later in life. The same can be said for kids today. Plus, I love the DeLorean, and I own a few die-cast models in various sizes of the car. A Lego version would complete the range of models I have of this retro-awesome car!
    @Prof1515 Completely agree with you. There are several license that I hope lego will aquire but I dont think Cussoo is the place to be demanding them. It should be as you say about what you can make using your imagination.
    OH I thought that it was the chrome prune face that would have sealed it. Maybe ill put that on Cussoo.

^I dont think that it is old but the fact that most of the sets that have reached the required votes are all licsence sets and not really peoples imagination.
  • thebricksterthebrickster Member Posts: 63
    we need the final push for the modular western town around 970 votes needed to achieve that http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/1787
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    I just saw an awesome UCS representation of a Tron Light Cycle. There are a few tron ideas on there that try and play on the popularity of the movie with custom minifigs etc. But this one I have to say is really nice.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/15895

If you use a licensed theme as the basis for something you create out of lego (like the bttf project) thats still imaginative and exactly what lego id for. Certainly on the same lines as how I played as a child.

Sure just puttin up a picture from a film isn't but thats not what most of the achieved projects are. Im also not sure that theres a huge difference in the imagination used between a licensed project or a non licensed project based on a well known theme, western modular, space marines etc.

Its starting to doing a lot like MOC snobbery.
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,526
    I think it would be an idea that an indicative price must be given, and that this is checked by Lego at say 1000 votes. It would give the fans of a theme that are not into Lego an idea of what the set will cost them if it is made.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    @cheshirecat - Did you say shrubbery? ;o)
  • sidersddsidersdd Member Posts: 2,432
    You must return here with a shrubbery MOC or else you will never pass through this cuusoo alive...
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP Member Posts: 1,917
    Modular Western Town just 770 votes away! http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/1787
  • ninjagolightlyninjagolightly Member Posts: 140
    Maybe AFOLs should try throwing their support behind ideas for parts rather than sets. Because you could win over all MOCers, not just people who happen to like the Old West or whatever:
    Here's a nifty one:
    http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11120
    That would bypass the "is a 5000 piece set realistic?" blah blah blah debate... one new mold that would be spread across many future sets is realistic, and the Sopwith designer comment shows LEGO cares somewhat about delivering new parts people want.
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    The firefly project has been rejected already: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/12902
    ^except the cost of making new models is probhitivly expensive. Making this unlikely. I also fail to see what it adds to a set that you cant already do.
    The firefly project has been rejected already: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/12902
    They didn't hang around on this one did they! Some good support for Western Town overnight, shouldn't be too long now.

• bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    I know let's hope it is today as it's such a good project :)
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas Member Posts: 8,404
    ^ That is Lego's right and their decision, but I think they are being really close-minded about it...

They might be making money right now, but today's kids grow up into tomorrow's adults, you need to give them something to grow into to. This may or may not be that item, but if you forever say "kids only", you might find yourself more limited than you want to be.
    I have to admit as an 'Adult' I am starting to question what the point of Cuusoo is.
    So far we have a bizarre submarine thing which will definately not appeal to their "6-11 year old market"
    Followed by an equally bizarre satellite thing which quite frankly I am suprised would appeal to anyone, but certainly not their "6-11 year old market".
    Followed by a cash in on a popular game.
    Followed by 2 rejects based upon not being targetted to their 6-11 year old market.

So the question really is, if they are only interested in sets that target 6-11year olds, who on earth are they expecting to put sets up on Cuusoo??
    6-11 year olds (with the greatest respect) are unlikely to have the ability required to create something stunning and then market it in the correct manner to gain the required votes.
    Adults are always going to be more interested in creating sets that are of interest to themselves, not kids.

I think they should put the whole thing on hold, have a complete re-think on it, work out what they want to get out of it and then relaunch it with a more specific aim.

The whole thing about the Winchester (I liked but understand the decision) and the Serenity (not that bothered about) is starting to make me feel like TLG do not value the Adult market, so if they continue rejecting all the things the adults vote for I feel it is going to create a fair amount of negativity towards Cuusoo/TLG.
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,526
    I think they value the adult market, based on the adult / 16+ sets they produce. Whether they value the community submitted ideas for the adult market is a different matter. Cuusoo has got a lot of publicity recently, and I think it needs updating. I think there should be separate sections for kids models and adults models, and for licensed brands. They each need different thresholds. I'd also like to see sections for different sized models (ie sort by piece count) as well as indicative prices that have to be verified by Lego at a certain stage (500/1000 votes).

That said, I rarely bother to look at cuusoo any more. There is some good stuff on there, but it is not worth the bother of voting any more unless things change.
  • ninjagolightlyninjagolightly Member Posts: 140
    I have to admit as an 'Adult' I am starting to question what the point of Cuusoo is.
    So far we have a bizarre submarine thing which will definately not appeal to their "6-11 year old market"
    Followed by an equally bizarre satellite thing which quite frankly I am suprised would appeal to anyone, but certainly not their "6-11 year old market".
    These came out of the Japanese market. These "bizarre" things to you are symbols of pride in national technological achievements, like the Space Shuttle or Mars Rover to Americans. And people in Japan generally have a much, much higher consciousness about such things, relative to Americans. (Don't know about Europeans, etc.) So you might as well slam the Space Shuttle models.

Also, that whole issue aside, they obviously are no problem at all on the grounds that Winchester and Serenity were rejected, so they aren't really relevant to the current wailing and gnashing of teeth over the purported debasement of CUUSOO.
    ^ The point I was trying to make is they are using the 6-11 year old market argument, and however much the submarine and satellite are symbols of pride, are you saying that they were snapped up by 6-11year olds? (it would massively suprise me, but may be true).

My concern is that Cuusoo could have a reverse effect on the Adult community if they keep rejecting anything that is not aimed at 6-11 year olds.
    ^ I don't think they are being rejected because they are not aimed at the 6-11 year olds. They are being rejected because they come from IP or represent themes/content that aren't appropriate for their 6-11 year old market (as defined by them). The modulars aren't aimed at the 6-11 year olds, but the subject matter isn't questionable for that age group - which is the core target of their brand (assuming the Guns/Alcohol could be dropped from the western modular if TLG seems it necessary). There's plenty of creations adults can conjure up that are enjoyable to both kids and adults.
    But surely it is pretty obvious that every time they say "no go" they are disappointing 10,000 people, surely that cannot continue without creating bad feeling.
    In theory there are 10,000 people out there who were thinking, 'cool, Lego Shaun of the dead' only to be deflated. And now 10,000 people who thought 'awesome, Lego Serenity' again to feel let down.
    That HAS to be seen as bad press.
    If Shaun of the Dead, Serenity and a lot of the stuff still getting votes on Cuusoo are not suitable, say so VERY quickly and get them off the site, don't let them get huge support or they are risking regative publicity.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Administrator Posts: 6,754
    If Shaun of the Dead, Serenity and a lot of the stuff still getting votes on Cuusoo are not suitable, say so VERY quickly and get them off the site, don't let them get huge support or they are risking regative publicity.
    Fully agree - the "suitability" review could have taken place the moment the project was submitted, although in practice LEGO would need an army of "suitability" reviewers unless this review took place at, say, 500 votes.

There is absolutely no need to wait until a project has worked up a head of steam and garnered 10,000 votes to kill it for this reason. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's disrespectful to those that design and vote for such models, not to mention just plain stupid and bad PR...
  • caperberrycaperberry Member Posts: 2,226
    edited May 2012
    Maybe AFOLs should try throwing their support behind ideas for parts rather than sets.
    I've tried to push this idea occasionally in the past but it almost always meets with the feedback that FOLs don't think it's worth the bother of supporting parts, because the forums alone will not garner 10k votes. It's really the MOCers who want this, as you point out, and they are a subset of FOLs. Many just want to build sets.

I've suggested on the CUUSOO forum that the target for piece designs be lowered. I think 'new piece designs' was a bit of an afterthought for LEGO when they saw people were doing it. The system really doesn't support it e.g. the 'price I would pay' field has US$1 as a minimum which is too much for a single part.

^ I agree with that. Too many rejections at the final gate will not be good for the image of the program. An earlier rejection makes sense. What those gates are, and at what vote count level, is probably something they are reviewing during this early release.
    edited May 2012
    The system really doesn't support it e.g. the 'price I would pay' field has US$1 as a minimum which is too much for a single part
    Some Bricklink sellers would disagree ;-)

I agree that non-starter projects should be nipped in the bud at a very early stage. I guess TLG have to weigh up the negative PR around letting an idea reach 10k and then being rejected vs. the good publicity of being talked about by celebrities on major TV shows and social networks like Twitter. The negative PR is probably less far reaching than the good PR, so really it all comes back to what are the primary aims of Cuusoo, is it really to get ideas to make sets, or is it all just a marketing trick?
    ^ heh-heh, yep, I totally see this too. If they had a rejection gate at 5000, how much positive PR are they missing out on.
  • Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 224
    I'm not sure about changing the suitability review point. Getting an increasing number of projects hitting 10,000 that aren't suitable by Lego's current criteria may gradually lead to a change in their thinking on what to produce.

I've been thinking about the recent AFOL survey they conducted as well. They did ask about online profiles etc. Maybe this is so they can try to track who's voting for what on CUUSOO, to aid their review process. If a project is getting too many votes from within the community it may be harder to pass. Lego may see CUUSOO as an opportunity to bring in new fans. Also, votes from people who vote for 'everything' or put in unrealistic price points may not be weighted as highly as votes from people logging on for one specific project. Or it might be the opposite! Lego asks for quite a bit of data when you cast your vote. They'd be foolish not to use it.

BTW: I seem to remember something about a Delorean being a choice during the vote that came up with the VW Beetle. Maybe that'll help it get made. They could add a customiser pack so you can turn it into a BTTF Delorean.