Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

CUUSOO Corner

Comments

• CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,526
    I was about to say Lego knows what sells .... A crummy model is fine as it is the minifigs that sell the set. Maybe they are losing the plot.

Price? I reckon $40 / £30.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion Member Posts: 959
    Almost every commenter on every forum I have read have said that they won't be buying it. I'll pick up 100 and flip them for £99 at Xmas!

Jokes aside, if they have left the sloped one piece bonnet out to save a few quid then that is silly. The slope is from a SW set is it not? I'll be buying a few from BL and modding accordingly.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Member Posts: 4,260
    The bonnet design shouldn't really be too much of a surprise, given the preliminary model they showed in the reveal video (1:40):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnWPcP4f7uw
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas Member Posts: 8,404
    yys4u said:

Granted the original looked like a brilliant display piece, this one looks like something that could be targeted to kids for play.

Yes, because kids all know what BTTF is, and will ask for this over... well... everything else LEGO is making right now...

Like I said, the Cuusoo team doesn't know what it is doing, or doesn't care. This is a AFOL set if there ever was one, BTTF came out in 1985 for Pete's sake.
    andhebellybutton290

The bonnet design shouldn't really be too much of a surprise, given the preliminary model they showed in the reveal video (1:40):

Yes, but that wasn't "final" design, I think we all assumed they would fix that nonsense.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Member Posts: 7,535
    looks like the wheels are going to stick way out when in driving position. Only thing keeping it halfway decent will be the hoses acting as fenders. Even still, it will be 8-10 studs wide in the wheels and 4 studs wide on the roof? That is just terrible
  • 09090900909090 Member Posts: 47
    Hmmm if this set will have great minifigs then I miiiiiiight consider buying it. But other than that, there's no way I'll buy this.
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    Well, um... I like it. The deciding factor for me - kind of superficial, I admit - will be whether the flux capacitor is printed or a sticker. Could go either way, since Minecraft Micro World has custom prints and Shinkai and Hayabusa have stickers.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor Member Posts: 3,937
    Unless I'm looking at it wrong, it looks like the car is 7-wide, which probably explains why they didn't use a sloped piece for the hood.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Administrator Posts: 6,753
    edited June 2013
    First impressions aren't great, but I'm surprised that there seem to be so many people who hate this and yet liked the original Cuusoo model; to me they aren't all that different, although the LEGO version seems to have better greebling. I agree with those that say that it was the minifigures which drove much of the interest; the 'original' De Lorean model itself was (IMHO) no great shakes, and nor is the 'official' rendition.

It's disappointing that there seem to be so many people throwing their toys out of the pram on the basis of one small image, though. You'd have thought people would know better by now. Let's wait for the full info (including some decent pictures) and then we can provide an informed opinion. We don't even know if the actual model will come with minifigs or not yet, for a start, so damning it just because there are no minifigs in the one picture released so far is premature I think.
    icey117SilentModeandhebassbison
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    I don't think it looks all that bad :)

Will it sell? Of course it will as the fans of BTTF will go nuts, mini figures included or not.
    Will people be disappointed when they build it? Maybe but I doubt to when they have it in the flesh.
    Will I buy one? Who knows. Highly probable as I love the films.

I am sure I saw a bigger scaled version LEGO created recently in the back of the VW beetle instruction manual. That looked pretty wicked and as big as the VW Beetle.
    It is surprising that Lego has not put out a press release yet if this is hitting shelves on the 18th. I think the reaction might have gone better if we had gotten several hi-res images and a designer video explaining the decisions made for size, parts, design, price etc. than a scan of the monthly flyer.
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    indigobox said:

I am sure I saw a bigger scaled version LEGO created recently in the back of the VW beetle instruction manual. That looked pretty wicked and as big as the VW Beetle.

Wow, you're right! I just looked at the Beetle's instructions online, and right after the parts inventory was a page on the design process. Four different models were presented for an online poll and fan workshop, and the DeLorean time machine was one of them. Just think, we could have had a 1,000+ piece rendition of this set five years ago if the poll had gone differently.
    yys4u
  • doriansdaddoriansdad Member Posts: 1,337
    I just really hope this is not the final design and the minifigs will be included. There was never alot of merchandise released for this film series and I was forced to settle with a below average hoverboard from Mattel so hopefully Lego is not going to offer up a below average Cuusoo set.

If this is the final design I am even more pissed because they know the original creators are donating their entire proceeds to the MJF Foundation and this heap is just not going to sell well. I have a very hard time believing TLG put forward their best efforts on this one.
  • icey117icey117 Member Posts: 510
    @drdavewatford Well said! It's almost turning cliché that AFOL's complain at first sight, wonder at release... and end up worshiping! Now it's just to figure out if its the same AFOL-audience changing opinion, or it's three segmented groups of AFOL's voicing their opinion at diffent times. :-)
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099

yys4u said:

Granted the original looked like a brilliant display piece, this one looks like something that could be targeted to kids for play.

Yes, because kids all know what BTTF is, and will ask for this over... well... everything else LEGO is making right now...

Like I said, the Cuusoo team doesn't know what it is doing, or doesn't care. This is a AFOL set if there ever was one, BTTF came out in 1985 for Pete's sake.
    There are millions of parents today that grew up watching BttF. Imagine them re-watching the films today with their kids. That is your target market.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession Member Posts: 656
    I was very disappointed when they announced that the BTTF would be the next Cuusoo item. I am a strong believer that the Cuusoo items should be of original design. That to me is what should be the focus. That being said, there have been some outstanding "copy jobs" done. But again I would like to see creativity rewarded.

As for the BTTF, and these are just my thoughts. It went from ugly to fugly. Like I said before, I was disappointed when it was announced. Will I purchase it? Yes, that's the completist in me. I have the others and will continue the trend. This set, along with the others more than like will never see the seals broken. Either will be passed onto my son or will become trade bait in the future.

I hope that Lego starts to look more to the creative side and reward that, opposed to the copies out there.

As for the BTTF movies itself, I really wish that Biff had "Ka Powed" Marty McSquid into the Past. Never liked the movies, too much of a whinney character for me. Loved George though!

Once again, just my thoughts.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 889
    mathew said:

yys4u said:

There are millions of parents today that grew up watching BttF. Imagine them re-watching the films today with their kids. That is your target market.
    That would be me. But I couldn't care less about this and neither will my kids. I'm not alone here. Old, outdated, irrelevant IP and a terrible set, makes a terrible combination. This will be a dud if there ever was one. It's the anti-minecraft. :)

This will get posted at sites like Gizmodo at launch and get a little traction from the nerd community, and will then wallow in obscurity. I hope TLG didn't make a bazillion of these things expecting minecraft-like sales...
  • binaryeyebinaryeye Member Posts: 1,831

Either they have people running it who don't know what they are doing, or they just don't care.

It seems to me they know exactly what they're doing. Both BTTF and Curiosity have generated news headlines, both during voting and once they were announced to be produced. This wouldn't have happened if the sets chosen weren't based on an existing property.

The primary goal of CUUSOO is not to produce fan-designed sets.
  • pricey73pricey73 Member Posts: 352
    This is the Delorean from Ichiban toys, has all the required features, I paid £10-for the downloadable instructions.
    Will I buy the "official" set/s, of course!
    Is the bonnet/hood hideous on the final Model, yes!, but it still won't stop me getting a couple.

http://www.ichibantoys.com/BTTF-Custom-LEGO-Kits/b/3299203011

I've taken this to a few shows and it always gets recognised by young and old alike. Plus you can put a Marty McFly-esque fig in there with a hazmat suit!
    LostInTranslation
    binaryeye said:

It seems to me they know exactly what they're doing. Both BTTF and Curiosity have generated news headlines, both during voting and once they were announced to be produced. This wouldn't have happened if the sets chosen weren't based on an existing property.

So is the goal of Cuusoo to generate news headlines?

If so, then fair enough...

I always thought it was to introduce new ideas that they normally wouldn't try on their own, and to provide an outlet for the AFOL fan community to express what they want to LEGO, and to actually get some of those sets built from time to time.

But that's just me. :)

Minecraft is a bit of an odd-duck, it has done really well of course, but then Minecraft and LEGO were rather made for each other. Minecraft is also a current IP and massively popular among kids today.

BTTF? It is nearly 30 years old at this point, nothing new has been done for a very long time, unless you count the game, which is pretty cool and worth checking out for fans, but otherwise, that's it.

This kit? Garbage, complete and utter garbage... That is my opinion, I'm comfortable with it, I stand by it, you're welcome to disagree. :)

Time will tell if the sales numbers do well or not, we shall see. I might well be in the minority, or I might well be spot on the money. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding... :)
    Brick_Obsession
  • graphitegraphite Member Posts: 3,275
    ^ I think the sales number is going to be majorly skewed by the fact that all the minecraft only re-sellers out there are going to think this is going to do the same and buy a bunch of them right up front.
    andheRomanticWarrior
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca Member Posts: 618
    To say I wasn't a little disappointed at least would be a lie. I definitely had a better image in my mind's eye of what the Lego-produced version of the Time Machine from BttF would look like, and this certainly is nowhere close to it. Better views and maybe even seeing the thing in person might help my opinion, but as of right now, I might just keep my DeLorean collection to limited to die-cast models and (soon) the real car.
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    I think it's a little over the top to call the set utter garbage when we haven't even seen the whole set. As far as I know, there's been a small screenshot of half of the vehicle...without piece count, price, or indication of minifigs.
    ^ Time will tell if my call is correct or not... if it turns out to be wrong, I'll be happy to admit it.
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    Is that the same model as in the video...? It looks like the one in the video looks like there is a minifig in it...
    edited June 2013
    BrickNews has the below image of the BTTF set, including minifigs!

Note the wording Instructions give the opportunity to add details to the car to modify it into 3 different versions, that represent the 3 different movies.

Oh and it'll apparently be £34.99. I can't quite make out the piece count on the box, but I'm going to guess at 346.

LostInTranslationandhekezindigobox
    I just had a thought. If you can change the car to make it look like any of 3 different versions, that's probably why the bonnet looks like it does - so that the bits on the front of the car in BTTF3 can be added on to it. Having a one-piece slope wouldn't have allowed that.
    Ok well I feel better about the design knowing it is a 3-in-1.
    Minifigures definitely make the set more interesting. I'm not totally sold on Doc Brown, yet, but if the head is two-sided with a "Great Scott!" expression, I will be.

While it doesn't completely make up for the rough look of the model, I do like that it can be converted/modified out of the box.

Also, I'm really hoping those tiles (flux capacitor and date readout) are printed.
  • SilentModeSilentMode Member Posts: 586
    Okay, I have to admit that I feel a lot better about the set, having seen the above picture.
    Moral of the story (for me at least) is to only pay attention to official news.
    binaryeyeandhe
  • andheandhe Member Posts: 3,908
    edited June 2013
    Great snott!! :P
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,526
    Interesting - not aimed at 10+, but 10+ boys. And fans of the movie.

• GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 674
    Hoping it looks better with the other configurations. I'll be buying it regardless, maybe heavily modding it or just integrating those stickered pieces into my 6-wide MOC. I think it's worth it just for the minifigures!

So if they're doing all 3 versions, does that mean we'll be getting white-walled tires?

Ok well I feel better about the design knowing it is a 3-in-1.

Not quite sure I'd classify this as a true 3-in-1. It sounds like they will just have different accessories to slap on it to fit the different movies.

Also, I'm not understanding the 1958 year on the time circuits on the dashboard in the photo. All the 1950's events of the movies occurred in 1955. Biff turned 21 and won the big horse race to become a millionaire in 1958, but nothing canon happened with the DeLorean during that year.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    edited June 2013
    1958 was when LEGO developed the modern brick design - i believe?

Edit:

Indeed - http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/lego-group/the_lego_history/

Okay, I have to admit that I feel a lot better about the set, having seen the above picture.
    Moral of the story (for me at least) is to only pay attention to official news.

The moral that Lego should take from this story is to do better PR putting out such an anticipated model like this. 1) Make sure the first view is an official, complete announcement, not a leaked photo and 2) If said photo gets leaked, be quicker than 3 days to respond officially so that fans don't speculate and spread the hate like what happened.

Other than that, I still don't like the model (though I hate it less), and it's way too expensive.
    I think the date might actually say 1955, and because of the 'digital' style display it just looks like an 8 at that angle...

Ahh who am I kidding? It says 1958.
    edited June 2013

1958 was when LEGO developed the modern brick design - i believe?

Edit:

Indeed - http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/lego-group/the_lego_history/

Interesting, 1:58 p.m. on January 28, 1958

Ok, that's actually kinda cool they tied that in.

Useless side note - 1958 was also the year George and Lorraine got married.
    edited June 2013
    ^ Maybe Marty took a LEGO 2x4 brick from 1985 back to 1958, where someone from LEGO saw the stud-and-tube coupling and thought it'd be a good idea to patent...
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 674
    Wait a minute... They got the dates wrong!? How do you screw that up?

http://back-to-the-future.wikispaces.com/Dates+Visited
    GIR3691 said:

Wait a minute... They got the dates wrong!? How do you screw that up?

No, they apparently changed the date to represent when the current LEGO brick design was introduced.

Of course, I imagine a lot of the people buying this won't be LEGO fans, and will react just as you did.
  • skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    Hoverboard?
  • kyrotekkyrotek Member Posts: 212
    I'll probably buy it for the wife who is a huge fan of BttF.

It won't get built and sit in the cupboard until it finally becomes an heirloom and no one remember the films.

I've spent money on worse to fulfil my geek-quota...
    If that pic is right....Marty and Doc are so stealing LR's Constitution Train.....
    ^er...I mean conducting a science experiment...
  • figurafigura Member Posts: 6
    Good, now the big fuss about the bonnet might calm down a bit. The biggest problem for me with the set (as well as the cuusoo design) is the abscence of the iconic doors of the delorean.
    But I don't care too much, I'll get anyway. Especially now that the figures look quite promising.
    ^ The doors are very likely to open, gull-wing style. Prototypes of the model had that effect (photos on Eurobricks), so the final model is likely to as well.

^ The douors are very likely to open, gull-wing style. Prototypes of the model had that effect (photos on Eurobricks), so the final model is likely to as well.

Hope so. Going by that pic, it looks like you'd pull the hood off as you were opening up the door.

• graphitegraphite Member Posts: 3,275
    ^ If the doors do open it looks like they'll only open hinged on the rear pillar of the door (B pillar). The A pillar of that design isnt even connected to roof to hinge it.