Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

The new LEGO horse...

drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,218
edited April 2012 in Ambassador
Brickset Forumites,

Comments below from LEGO Senior Creative Designer Matt Ashton, posted on the LEGO Ambassador Forum :

"Our core target audience of 5-10 year old boys has told us in ongoing testing that the original LEGO horse is a bit ‘baby-ish’, and too static to play with properly. So we’ve re-designed the LEGO horse to make it more dynamic, pose-able and appealing by adding a higher level of detail. The new horse will appear in the LEGO Lord of the Rings sets will be released in June 2012.

"The new horse can now kick, bolt and rear up on its hind legs, making it much more playable and pose-able, while the refined detail level has also made it seem more ‘grown-up’ and ‘cooler’ in kids’ eyes.

"In making these changes we have obviously had to take into consideration several different challenges.

"First, we are fully aware that the ‘original’ horse may be perceived as a LEGO icon in many consumers’ eyes. So, when designing the new horse, we did our best to create a new version that pays homage to the original horse, particularly its proportions, silhouette and decoration style.

"Second, we have made some design choices in regards to the compatibility between the ‘new’ horse and the existing horse accessories. The existing saddle element can be used with the new version of the horse. The new horse can also wear the current barding, although it cannot be posed while wearing this element. We will be developing a replacement barding for future product launches, ensuring that the horse can be dressed for battle and still be fully pose-able.

However, by streamlining the new horse’s head to make it more dynamic and more like a ‘real’ horse, we had to decide that the existing horse headgear/head plates would not compatible with the new horse. These pieces will also soon be replaced with new elements in future products.

"We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may cause to certain collectors, but we are striving to ensure that we are ultimately creating the best product and play experience for our core audience for the long term.

Matt Ashton, Senior Creative Director, LEGO Group"

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    great stuff, thanks for sharing.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    Sounds like if they have that much plan for headgear/headplates and barding for a new horse design that there might be more Kingdoms type sets in the planned future. I couldn't see them doing that much work just for the LOTR series of sets since probably only a few will have horses.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,218
    ^ Fully agree.

That having been said, does anyone really doubt that we'll see more Castle/Kingdoms-type sets once LotR has run its course ? It's one of the most popular and enduring themes in the history of LEGO, and it's almost inconceivable that it won't continue long into the future, in one form or another.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    There wouldn't have been all this drama if they had just stuck with brick built horses. When I were a lad, it were all green baseplates round 'ere.
    Schwallex
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    I concur with everything everyone has said. I'm sure everyone is pleased to hear it. :o)
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I thought friends had some horse sets coming up? do they have the new horses?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    That is 3189 Heartlake Stables and it appears from the pictures it has its own "friends"-ified horses. My closest walmart had one of these out yesterday. Didn't think to look it up if it was new or not but Brickset doesnt have a photo for it yet.
  • acedogg77acedogg77 Member Posts: 110
    Hmph kids today, never satisfied, the old horse was plenty playable when I was a young un.:)
    MasterLego
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    I think it is kind of funny that LEGO introduced two new horse styles in such a short period.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    I don't think it is that surprising. Their research shows that the old one is outdated. So they bring out two new versions - one for boys (posable in a fighting style pose), the other for their new girls' range of sets which looks more like a my little pony.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,630
    The friends one is horrid. Looks more like Duplo. It seems to me that lego are trying to define a line so that boys don't feel like girls have stolen their toy (eg if the LOTR horse was the same as one in a friends set, it might lose its 'coolness').
    The friends figs can't even sit down properly so I wonder why their horse has a massive 2x2 gap?

The new LOTR horse however is fantastic. It doesn't look too different when placed along side the old, and the operability is a great new feature. Now give us sheep!
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    i would definitely like a posable sheep
    LostInTranslation
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    andhe said:

The friends figs can't even sit down properly so I wonder why their horse has a massive 2x2 gap?

So the Friends figs can ride the horse. Keep in mind all fig "sit" in the saddle in a standing position, but the Friends figs' legs have a wider footprint.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561

i would definitely like a posable sheep

You posted that on the wrong forum. This isn't match.com! ;-P

Just kidding. :-P
    MasterLego
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,630
    I hope we see it in more colours soon. I guess that's more likely with the potential Lone Ranger Licence.

Seconded for sheep. Though unless they turn up in a city set I'm struggling to think of a sheep based license...
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 814
    @andhe don't forget that theres Shawn the sheep
    icey117
  • plantmanplantman Member Posts: 97
    Not just sheep - I think a small line of farm themed sets would be cool (not Duplo).
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl ScotlandMember Posts: 147
    edited April 2013
    ^ I agree @plantman, I would love to see some farm themed sets. I have been looking at the discontinued City farm sets, but the prices are horrendous.
    edited April 2013
    How about #7684. Has it really been 18 months plus since that went EOL?

There are some reasonable priced ones on BL if you don't mind international.
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl ScotlandMember Posts: 147
    I will look at that @CCC. Thank you. I have only looked on Ebay and never considered Bricklink.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,135
    For the farm sets, Just get the pink pig or cow with black spots. I don't think the set themselves were that great. The new dalmation dog is nice for variety, but I look forward to more Lego animals, but not Friends compatible...
    There is some new horse head armour appearing in #70404

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=70404-1

I assume this is for the new horse - I cannot tell from the picture.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,356
    edited June 2013
    @CCC Yep, it's for the new horse. Look at the box pic under 'Alternate images', the horse is rearing up on the drawbridge.
    Also some different colour ones in #70401 and #70402 for the Dragon Knights horses, and horse barding especially in #70402
    Yes, just seen that thanks!
  • boba_jagoda2boba_jagoda2 Member Posts: 25
    I have kind of gotten used to the new v2 horse by now,
    but it still lacks the silhuette elegance of the old one.
    v1 horse looked like a heavier iberian horse type a knight would have used
    and I liked that.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 240
    edited October 2013
    I recently purchased a cheap Lone Ranger set to get the new horse. The new horse looks more like a horse, and is more three-dimensional. I wonder if Lego will ever design a removable molded halter, instead of having one that is printed. There's one problem I've had with the Lego horse, period, the huge chunk out of the body. But, I don't think that there's any solution for the problem.
    ^ You can stick a brick in it.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    CCC said:

Yep. And a tile piece for a smooth finish.

• jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    Where did you guys learn my secret? I thought I was the only one who figured out the mystery of the chunk.
    icey117
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    ummm.. it's in all the official manuals that way
    Bumblepants
    CCC said:

Well yes that's what I do, but it looks weird with a minifigure riding inside of the horse, not on the horse.

• AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    ^ If you were 6 you might imagine that rider is astride the horse rather than in the horse. Losing a bit of that innocent imagination is, I suppose, one of the drawbacks of us adults playing with these amazing little bricks.
    Oldfan
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    The punch line here is that all (that I've seen) sets with the new horse come with a 2x2 brick and a 2x2 plate in the same color of the horse. Did you think those were just random extra pieces?
    tensor said:

The punch line here is that all (that I've seen) sets with the new horse come with a 2x2 brick and a 2x2 plate in the same color of the horse. Did you think those were just random extra pieces?

tensor said:

No, I knew what that is for. I just meant that a minifigure doesn't ride the horse in the right way.