Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

CMF Series 8

Comments

• SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    ok, now i think it is time they stop that minifig collection...feels like you get the same all the time...alien, pompom girl, sportsguy, robot, skier ....

Plus since I am a completist...my wallet will be happier if i do not have to buy more! :)
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,292
    @cheshirecat If it were up to me, I'd never put a Christmas-related item in with non-Christmas related stuff. I dunno, it always feels "out of place" to me when that happens, I like keeping it separate from everything else.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I actually like the Alien dude, sort of a Alien leader to the S3 ones.

The others I can understand a bit, I hate the Fairy though :(
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    As usual, it is the accessories here that are most exciting. As someone else already mentioned, sure there is repetition in the overall themes, but that doesn't bother me. If you have a bit CITY layout, wouldn't it be nice to fill it with lots of unique figures? You know, more than one hockey team, or more than one teenager. Or, um, more than one killer robot?

The fairy wings are kind of cool, as is the pretzel, the headphones and is Santa's bag a new piece?
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,462
    edited July 2012
    I was quick to jump to the defense of these when we just had a list... but now that I see them I can actually say I think this series is pretty weak...

Out of 16 figs I can see 11 new parts/moulds (Alien cape, cowgirl hat? santa hat and sack? conquistador sword, pretzel, diving bell, cup? fairy wings, ruff, dj hair).

Looks like the translations were a bit off. The trader is a businessman and the 'ancient' thespis is more of a shakespearean actor/hamlet.

I say now that I'm not fussed about collecting them all, but undoubtably will, and hope that series 9 offers us some real 'home runs'. Series 8 feels like a stop gap, they've obviously had their main efforts on the superhero/LOTR stuff.

edit: and this.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,776
    edited July 2012
    Well I am happy ... two comments of mine from earlier in the thread:

I'd like an old style city gent - black suit, bowler hat, umbrella - along the lines of the bankers from Mary Poppins.

I'd really like an Elizabethan era figure, either Elizabeth I, or Drake, or Raleigh. I want the ruff for a custom minifig.

Maybe they are paying attention?

I like all the others except the fairy and skier. The diver is cool, the new alien is good as is the conquistador.

That bat guy is going to be sought after, given the prices for the ones from MF sets.

I also like the re-issue of some parts. Eg the robot helmet - more people will be able to build their own robots now. The S1 is just too expensive to chop and change.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Love the Alien (matching the Alien Conquest theme), the vampire bat (matching the MF theme), the black bowler hat, the diver helmet, the ruff, the DJ hair/headphones, and the bavarian guy.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,462
    ^Didn't they describe him as a 'bavarian boy'? Would have been nice with printed short legs, instead he just looks a bit creepy! (maybe its the pencil moustache).

Realised the conquistador sword is just the musketeer foil, but it does look like his face is gold?

edited July 2012
    ^ His hat is gold (reuse of existing black conquistador hat), but his face looks yellow to me.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 577
    Dibs on your unwanted Cheerleaders.
  • pstrickler27pstrickler27 Member Posts: 71
    Well I started this forum however many months ago in anticipation for this series - and I can finally say that I am utterly disappointed - here are my thoughts

Alien - Lame - rehash of Alien Conquest series
    Cowgirl - Don't care for female figs
    Santa - Still skinny - so lame
    Conquistador - looks pretty good, but still not for me
    Bavarian - I love it - because I am German - I'm sure others will not like it
    Cheerleader - rehash and female - so super lame
    Diver - The helmet could have been better - but it's ok I guess
    American Footballer - where is his football?? dumb!
    Pirate - We already have a million Lego pirates - rehash - don't like it
    Fairy - Female (so I don't care for it) - the wings are interesting - but not for me
    Bowler hat - I guess he's ok - pretty generic if you ask me - reminds of the gangster just with a bowler hat
    Ancient Actor - I like this one - A lot of people were expecting a greek or roman - but he was what I pictures
    Robot - lame lame lame!!! super rehash!
    DJ - headphones are nice!!! so is the vinyl - but still he's not super
    Bat - REHASH!!! hate it
    Skier - again - a rehash and it's a female - so double the lame factor

I didn't want to flat out hate this series when I first saw the list of names - but now that I see pictures I can conclude that this is the worst series so far (IMO)

6 rehashes
    4 that missed the mark
    5 that are just ok
    1 (the bavarian) that I am excited for - because of my heritage

Overall - WORST SERIES YET

Feel free to argue

• Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    I like that "Ming" looking dude. Where's Flash Gordon though?

I like the Conquistador and that crazy looking rendition of the flying monkey (ok maybe it's a bat, but flying monkey's are rad) from the wizard of oz.

The DJ is cool, like shakespeare too.

It's just another set to collect, not too disappointed. The colors look cool.
  • tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    edited July 2012
    ^^ agreed TBH, they're nice but like has been previously said, Lego's attention seems to be elsewhere...
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    I'm really digging the Conquistador. It will be a hit along with the Aztec with those making Conquest of the Americas MOCs. The Elizabethan is also really cool, along with the football player and the alien. A few stinkers, but all in all I think it's better than series 7.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Well, I just have to say I like this series!

It's just as good as all the others. I think many collectors of the CMF are getting spoiled and expecting too much.
    This series has a nice assortment and range of figures that compliment a lot of past releases and sets.

A few comments on a few figs...

The Cheerleader - this is great! With anything sports related we need two color versions to signify two teams don't we? Thumbs-up from me!

Alien - a nice example for a supreme leader of the AC series... now he needs a wife/queen!

Robot - good mix of bits. Can't have enough robots to ravage the city! Variety is the spice of life!

I could go on with positive things for all the figs, but I won't.... just suffice to say I look forward to getting them all, and looking forward to the next series!

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    ^ She is the Alien Empress! We already had the Emperor in the AC sets.

I agree though, I like this series.

Overall - WORST SERIES YET

Feel free to argue

If you don't like them, don't buy them. That part is simple.

As to rehash, you could say that about virtually any model or set they bring out now. Yet another car, yet another house, yet another police set, yet another train, yet another Star Wars ship, yet another specific SW ship.

Strange you didn't pick up that the conquistador is also a rehash. There has been a black conquistador hat available for ages, and he is holding the musketeer's foil - so he should be on your lame list.

Just this year we have had yet another Batman, yet another Robin, yet another Joker, yet another Riddler, yet another ... people don't complain so much there though.

Lots of people missed out on Series 1 - so it's good they are re-using some of the moulds to make new pieces. If every part was only available in one colour, Lego would be very boring.
    that crazy looking rendition of the flying monkey (ok maybe it's a bat, but flying monkey's are rad) from the wizard of oz.
    With the S3 gorilla's head, you're sorted!
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 961
    Gah, this is a frustrating mix of good and bad for me, but inevitably the good will have me forking out for them. I'm not staunchly against repeated characters, not when there's some variety between the minifigures (the S1 Robot versus the S6 Toy Robot for example) but the S8 Robot and Cheerleader just take the piss IMO. From the looks of them, they are virtually identical moulds to their S1 counterparts, just coloured differently. Horrendous efforts.

That said, I really do like the Shakespearean character with the minifig skull. The old-style diver is very cool too, and again an example of how an archetype can be repeated in a new and interesting way. The Bat Monster is cool, but comes across (to me anyway) as the lazy use of a new minifigure mould made for the MF theme. Ditto with the Alien and AQ (though the cape is a new element judging from comments on the front page article).
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    edited July 2012
    ^^ Thumbs up

As for this series being "lame", it makes no difference anyway. Most of us are collectors, that's why we do what we do, and as a result, we will most likely want to collect them all (I know I do).

I'm a big fan of the Pirates theme, so the Pirate is a nice alternative for one of my ships. Redbeard can't be on EVERY ship. Also, as the conquistador is 'about' the same time period, an army of those with the gold helmets will be a must for me. I was upset that I missed out on the Musketeer the first time around (I only have one).

There are a lot of gold pieces here too. Overall, I'm more impressed with this series than S7 - I HATE that Hippie! (Only because on my first run of S7, my feel technique was rubbish and I ended up with several).
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    ^ She is the Alien Empress! We already had the Emperor in the AC sets.

I agree though, I like this series.
    AH!! I stand corrected then! EXCELSIOR!!

Thanks for pointing that out to me.... my eyes are getting old! LOL

I like that I don't need to buy a whole new set to add figs to a theme. Thus, I like the additions of the AC like alien and MF like black vampire bat.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    No surprises really now the final designs are out, mostly boring/ repeats, with a few gems. The gems are great though.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    I personally don't care if Lego remakes figures in different colors or uses a combination of other minifigures to make "New" minifigures. I love Football and I wouldn't mind several in different colors, but with different accessories. Same thing with the Hockey Player from Series 4. With that said, I don't need more Cheerleaders. I love that they are making mote Aliens. I don't ever think that Lego will ever make every single alien/creature from the Star Wars universe, so I would like some "generic" aliens to populate the Cantina or Jabbas Palace.
  • pstrickler27pstrickler27 Member Posts: 71
    @CCC

I will definitely buy them becuase I have all the other sets and I'm not stopping somewhere in the middle because of a lame series

to your point - I expect "non-rehashes" in this theme because they are just figures and there is no limit (besides being appropriate for children) for what they can be - batman is of course going to have rehashes of the same character (there is limited scope) - same with starwars - but when you offer near carbon copies of previous figs and figs available now (manbat and Alien Queen) it appears a bit lazy and uninspired - they should really just read through this forum if they are low on ideas - as I know, you and just about everyone else in this forum have presented way better ideas than what we are now offered in series 8
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    I said earlier that they better sound better than they sounded on that list. Well, they are!
    They are better than series 3 (which I see was the weakest series), and we all knew that Series 7 was gonna be hard to beat. It is true, but this does not effect the need for me to collect them.

Here would be my opinion:
    Business man: He has a newspaper...but other than that.
    Football Player: I don't see a football do you?
    Cheerleader: At least we have an opposing team!
    Alien Empress: It looks like Hypaxxus 8 has a love life. NEEED!
    Conquistador: So shiny! It would go well with the Pirate Spaniards.
    Robot: Lego obviously just slapped this guy together randomly. Such a shame.
    Bavarian: I really dig the Liederhosen, and the pretzel.
    Fairy: Really?
    Cowgirl: Now there's another female here that I MUST have!
    DJ: That hairpiece is nice, and the shirt is pretty good as well.
    Man-Bat: An identical "breed" to the ones in Monster Fighters.
    Bell Diver: From the Bell Helmet to the weighted boots, he's perfect!
    Pirate: We've been waiting and we got one! I can only hope Captain Soto from Ninjago will be this good!
    Skier: Yay! Another minifigure with paper thin components...
    Santa: He doesn't wear a bandana, Hallelujah!
    Thespis: Every Shakespearean age needs one!

I think the is the most fictions characters we've ever had in a series as well. Still there is just something to be desired.
    edited July 2012
    @CCC

I will definitely buy them becuase I have all the other sets and I'm not stopping somewhere in the middle because of a lame series

to your point - I expect "non-rehashes" in this theme because they are just figures and there is no limit (besides being appropriate for children) for what they can be - batman is of course going to have rehashes of the same character (there is limited scope) - same with starwars - but when you offer near carbon copies of previous figs and figs available now (manbat and Alien Queen) it appears a bit lazy and uninspired - they should really just read through this forum if they are low on ideas - as I know, you and just about everyone else in this forum have presented way better ideas than what we are now offered in series 8
    Your own first post said ...

I have a few ideas listed below of hopes/dreams/speculations.. some of which I stole from other posters/sites..

1. Golfer (with bag, three clubs, and teed up gold ball)
    2. Mountain Climber (with backpack, spikey shoes, and harness)
    3. Female skiier (same as male skiier from Series 2)
    4. Old fashioned diver (with big round helmet and a spear)
    5. Yetti (done pretty much the same as other animal characters)
    6. Boy scout or girl scout (I think girl scout would be cute with cookies or something)
    7. Santa (with an actual fat body.. nothing like what we've been given before..)
    8. Horse jockey (with whip and short legs)
    9. American Football player (with shoulder pads, football, and helmet)
    10. Greek philosopher (with scroll and wearing a toga)
    11. Roller Derby Girl (with roller skates)
    12. Female Zombie (with an additional MF arm to hold as if being eaten - that would be hilarious)
    13. Male lifeguard (same as female from series 8)
    14. Marching band drummer (with snare or bass drum that is worn around the neck, two drum sticks or beaters)
    15. Judge (with gavel and sweet curly wig)
    16. Steve Jobs (never going to happen - I know - but complete with iPad or any i-device)

The bold ones I consider would be rehashes / minor changes from what we already had. Eg roller derby is really just a combination of female ice skater / hockey / female skateboarder on roller skates instead of ice skates. If they had read through the thread and made those would you still complain of rehashes? The italic one what we now have in Team GB. The underlined ones are what they are giving us. I mentioned a bowler hat city gent, and an Elizabethan character with a ruff. We now have those too.

• lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    edited July 2012
    Worst series yet. I'm only picking 5 minifigs up from this set.
    My likely targets for this series ...

Bowler Hat .... x8 for my MOC "modular" bank
    American footballer .... none
    Cheerleader .... none
    Alien .... x4
    Conquistador .... x12
    Robot .... x12
    Bavarian .... none
    Fairy .... none
    Cowgirl .... x4
    DJ .... x4
    Bat .... x4
    Diver .... x4
    Pirate .... x4
    Skier .... none
    Santa .... x4
    Elizabethan .... x4

Hopefully some of those I have no interest in will overlap with those that others wants (eg American Footballer and Cheerleader.) It's good the robot is coming in for some stick, as I'd like to get multiples of that one.
  • pantboypantboy EnglandMember Posts: 211
    I am beginning to feel like the odd one out, i quite like them all, favourites are the Robot, Alien and Elizabethan.
    I am beginning to feel like the odd one out, i quite like them all, favourites are the Robot, Alien and Elizabethan.
    I like them. You can't expect Lego to put out all the best minifigure ideas all at once. All that will be left would be all the minifigures that nobody wants.

• GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 784
    We keep missing the point with the release of each new series it's not a lack of imagination or cost cutting by TLG. It is a creative balancing act that is essential in order to keep these sets collectible not just for AFOLS with large disposable incomes but for children with pocket money. You can see the formula they use when developing the series X ammount of new moulds, capes, short legs and so on.

I for one think this is strong series and can't wait to get my hands on the banker for my ministry of silly walks MOC.

I for one think this is strong series and can't wait to get my hands on the banker for my ministry of silly walks MOC.
    +1!
    BTW good break down of the numbers @CCC

Close to what I have in mind although I will need a fairy or two and a skier for my daughters growing collection.

Yup. Being from the USA, I have been anticipating an American Football player. Reading through the comments, it is clear to me that most people in Europe and other countries don't care for the minifigure. I feel the same way about any soccer player.

Each series is supposed to appeal to a wide range of people big and small. I think that Lego has done well by using this formula.
    ^ Like the baseball and hockey players are great for those of us in the uk who aren't into football :-)
    Exactly :)

I love Football...then baseball, basketball and hockey in that order. Baseball is not even a close second and I will only watch hockey if it is the Finals and my local team is playing.
    ^^^ Yep, so hopefully I can have some good swaps with people from the US who are going to build a whole team. Although it will be a while team with number 12.
    "#12 is back to pass. Ohhhh great block by # 12. #12 rolls to his right and hits #12 for 12 yards and a first down. What a great catch by #12"
    ^^^ Yep, so hopefully I can have some good swaps with people from the US who are going to build a whole team. Although it will be a while team with number 12.
    Yes, 22 players on the field at the same time. Yikes. I would imagine someone would use the stickers that came with all the soccer sets that came out awhile back...or make their own decals.

edited July 2012
    ...I might add that you get a penalty with "12" men on the field...lol
    "#12 is back to pass. Ohhhh great block by # 12. #12 rolls to his right and hits #12 for 12 yards and a first down. What a great catch by #12"
    At least it would save the teams swapping tops at the end of the game ;-)

• SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 577
    For anyone interested, as per my weblog entry...

My most wanted: Red Cheerleader, Businessman/Trader
    Wouldn't mind: Fairy, DJ, Cowgirl, Father Christmas/Santa Claus, Deep Sea Diver
    Interested in the parts: Thespian, Football Player, Bavarian/Yodeller, Female Skiier
    Just one: Pirate, “Vampire”, Conquistador, Evil Robot, Female Alien.

Most favourite: Red Cheerleader
    Least favourite: “Vampire”

My predictions:
    - The Conquistador is going to be this series’ Zombie/Spartan/Elf/Hazard Suit Guy/Gladiator/Roman Solider/Galaxy Patrol, but the Deep Sea Diver (bottom, fourth left) will be popular with steampunk fans.
    - The Businessman/Trader and Father Christmas/Santa Claus will be the most hoarded and ridiculously priced figures.
    - All of a sudden there will be a demand for Cheerleaders, both blue and red.
    - (an omitted last point because it uses a "b" word. :)

I should note that the Cheerleader, Fairy and Bavarian/Yodeller were figures I'd predicted/requested over on that other forum.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    Meh. Not the best, but certainly not the worst series. Probably will end up just buying my favourites.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    honestly i hate this series. pretty lousy variety. There's 3 sport figures in it(4 if u count rodeo as a sport), 4 battler type minifigures, and an EXTREMELY overdone santa. He's been in advents b4 and i have about 4 or 5 of him and 3/5 parts to make another one . overall half have been done b4 and seems to be more of a scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas.

As far as IF i'll actually get any, i just don't know. On one hand i do want to get a figure or 2 so i can have at least 1 figure from each collection. On the other hand, i'd rather put the money towards towards a game i want to buy instead of a couple figures that'll sit in a display case. Plus on top of that, if the figures follow suit like some of the other figures i've been after, i can easily find them on BL at a good price on a later date.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Yea hate to say it but I think this is probably the weakest series for me personally. But being primarily Lego Pirates collector, I'm really loving the Conquistador and Pirate, even though I would have preferred a slightly more generic pirate.

Can anyone tell me if the Conquistador comes with a body armor piece? I can't tell if its armor or highly detailed torso/arm printing...
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ From the group picture above it looks like it has an armor piece somewhat like the Evil Knight from series 7 does. There is definition in the shoulder area that would almost have to be part of a chest overlay.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    ^I think your right, there is a centerline on his chest which is seems to indicate that armor plating. That's a real nice print job on the armor then! Makes him that much better

Most favourite: Red Cheerleader
    Least favourite: “Vampire”
    Do you want to sign a pact? All my Cheerleaders for your vampire bats? :-)
  • BlueTaylorBlueTaylor Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2012
    Nevermind! For some reason I was reading the first page thinking it was today haha!