Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Looking for a photo of a 90's LEGO aisle

legomaniac_jacoblegomaniac_jacob Member Posts: 13
edited April 2012 in Photography/Video
i was just curious if anyone happened to have any photos from the lego aisle circa 1990's, early mid or late 90's is fine. Store does not matter, but preferably TRU, Target, KB Toys or similar.

thanks
jacob

Comments

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Aside from the inventory, they haven't changed. Not too many advances in shelf technology in the last 20 years. ;-)
  • legomaniac_jacoblegomaniac_jacob Member Posts: 13
    Right, it's the inventory I'm after. The whole aisle display with all the 90's sets, either 1992, 1995, 1997, etc..... in all its glory.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    Weren't all photographs taken with film back then? It would be really hard to turn those images into digital.
    LegobrandonCP: Ever heard of a scanner? Or a digital camera to take a photo of a film photograph?
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited April 2012
    ^^ http://bit.ly/H8kU6b

I'm thinking @istokg might be able to help you out?

Edit: Ninja'd, but my point stands...
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    Gary or @brickupdate would be my two guesses in this dept
    LegobrandonCP: Ever heard of a scanner? Or a digital camera to take a photo of a film photograph?
    Didn't think about my statement too clearly before posting.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I don't have any, sorry. If you find them, please do share though! I have been cataloging LEGO aisles in the past year or two on my blog http://brickupdate.com

So eventually - in 10 or 20 years - when someone has this question, I will have the answer!
    -Dan
    I don't have any, sorry. If you find them, please do share though! I have been cataloging LEGO aisles in the past year or two on my blog http://brickupdate.com

So eventually - in 10 or 20 years - when someone has this question, I will have the answer!
    -Dan
    Great pics. I will save that page and check back from time to time. Now if only I could find those type of pics from a decade earlier.
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    edited April 2012
    @Matthew ^^ http://bit.ly/H8kU6b

The scanned image of the rhino in that link is quite good - has anyone tried a minifig in their scanner?

Edit - Don't bother (remembered I had one in my drawer here at work) The arms come out all blurred!
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,085
    Well I don't have a 1990s LEGO aisle picture in the Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide (1949-90s) on CD... but I do have a few pictures of LEGO aisles in the 1960s and 1970s on the CD.... that last one is my favorite... from a USA LEGO Retailer ad...
    ^ Wow, I'm amazed! Such a well stocked store. I wish my TRU, Walmart... etc. would look like that. What I like about the good old days is that the boxes looked nearly the same with every other set. A plain white box with a few words and numbers along with a picture of the set. So simplistic. Thanks for the photographs Gary!
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    WOW! Great photos!!!
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,670
    Is that you Gary? lol. That photo is great "Come to my store, I want your money!" :P
    Imagine how much all those sets would be worth now...
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,085
    Thanks folks ;-)

I just discovered something in regard to that 2nd (1970s) retailer image (the funny one). If you click on the larger image... look at the 190 Farm set in the lower right side of the image. This set was a USA/Canada exclusive....

The 190 box closest to the camera has all the box front images with a brown-olive background. The sets closer to the man have a bright blue background (as found in the Brickset and Bricklink databases)... I wonder if we're looking at 2 box variations (one older, one newer?) of the 190 set?