Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Any new Dino sets coming out?

TheCoryJihadTheCoryJihad Member Posts: 26
edited March 2012 in Collecting
My boys love this theme(my youngest is obsessed with dinosaurs right now) and I would love to see some more sets with some more diverse dinosaurs(Brachiosaurus, Dilophosaurus, Stegasaurus) and maybe some more characters.

Atlantis did a pretty good job incorporating more creatures than most themes did and I'd love to see that kind of thought put into the Dino theme. Does anyone know anything about any future Dino releases?

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    i get the feeling LEGO is doing more one wave and done themes with their non-licensed stuff right now. I expect Monster Hunters will slide into the shelf space currently used for Dino, just like Dino essentially replaced Alien Conquest.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    My son and I are going through the Dino sets right and we love the animals. The vehicles and buildings are just a bonus. I would love to see more, but I also think this may be it. I hope I am wrong.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    I know licensing rights are expensive but why didn't they just pay it to call it Jurassic Park, I'm sure sales would have been better.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    A little disappointed that the $70 T-Rex set only came with 2 minifigs.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I know licensing rights are expensive but why didn't they just pay it to call it Jurassic Park, I'm sure sales would have been better.
    Would they? Jurassic Park was a good movie (ok, it was a so-so movie with really cool Dinos in it!). But it was also 19 years ago...

That is slightly out of date. :)
    Inn A Galaxy Far Far Away...30 years ago.
    Sorry typo In not Inn
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    edited March 2012
    @pteric Get your point, however Star Wars is still on the tv almost daily (Clone Wars). When was the last time anyone saw Jurrasic Park?
    ^ it was on TV this past weekend, but your overall point is valid. SW is quite unique in the way it keeps itself relevant and in the public eye year after year after year.

if/when a JP4 ever came out (I thought I heard rumors?) maybe LEGO would do those sets. It's all about timing to meet current releases - see PotC, Hobbit, PoP, HP, etc...
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited March 2012
    I'm also not sure licences are always good business.

For example PotC brought pirates right to the front of peoples minds, so a Lego system pirate theme would have benefited just through association even without an official licence. The licence costs money which pushes up prices which reduces demand. Lego are also limited in the creativity they can use having to stick within the realms of the films and no doubt submitting to the whim of the film producers/execs in some cases. Sure the licence will have helped sell some sets, but for the cost/benefit has it been worth it compared to just releasing more Lego Pirate sets?

Star wars works, LoTR should work, Super Heroes surely will. Toy story, Cars I'm guessing haven't/wont work out well for Lego. HP I'm guessing cost Lego a fortune and in the long run probably wont pay off in no small part due to the main market for HP being teenage girls which is a mile away from Lego's core market. I'm guessing PoTC probably wont overall be much better than just having lego pirates available. Of course this is all just guess work with not basis in fact, but hey sometimes thats fun.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    if/when a JP4 ever came out
    IMDB shows it as "announced". Even thought it'll probably be a box office flop as the other 2 sequels were I'll probably still enjoy it. It would be a prime time for LEGO to release a 2nd wave of Dino sets if they were going to.

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Plans for Jurassic Park 4 were cancelled when Michael Crichton died several years ago. Spielberg said that he and the others did not feel that it would be right to do another film without Crichton's input (Stan Winston's passing also may have played a role as well). Then, last last year an announcement was made, however notably not by Spielberg or any of the previous films' creators, that another film was in the works. So, I suspect it's just some greedy, hack studio idea and the result will be a crappy film in the line of the Transformers or GI Joe type films (not that the original Jurassic Park films were cinematic masterpieces).
    IMDB shows it as "announced". Even thought it'll probably be a box office flop as the other 2 sequels were I'll probably still enjoy it. It would be a prime time for LEGO to release a 2nd wave of Dino sets if they were going to.
    to be fair, both sequels were actually box office successes, grossing around $200 MM each in the US alone. Not the mega-hit of the first, but certainly not anywhere near a flop.

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ I stand corrected. I liked all three movies I just got the general impression that the 2nd and 3rd were not well received.
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    On the original topic ... I heard my kids say earlier in the week they found photos of new Dinos set somewhere. But I don't know where, and my boys are school now (and I'm not). So I'll just post this as a completely unsubstantiated rumor.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693

Lost World earned close to $700M and was number two after Titanic. JP3 brought in near $400M, and also in the top ten for the year. In no way did they flop.

• lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    I liked all 3.

Don't particularly care for the POTC theme, I just like the ships.