Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Next mini modular release?

veritas313veritas313 Member Posts: 80
edited March 2012 in Collecting
Does anyone know when the pet shop and town hall mini modulars will be released? Not started the main set build yet - but was wondering who may know.

Comments

• vonlanivonlani Member Posts: 21
    I was wondering the same thing, but i guess it will be a while, since the set is quite new. It would be cool if lego releases new mini modulars at the same time the big ones are released.

I am not really into the big ones, but the minis are so damn cute, i just couldn't resist them when i noticed them at my local lego store;-)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    As far as I'm aware, there has been no announcement that future mini modulars will ever be released at all. And the word is that the mini modulars sales figures have been less than stellar.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Once they have another corner house probably, to complete the block.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    As far as I'm aware, there has been no announcement that future mini modulars will ever be released at all. And the word is that the mini modulars sales figures have been less than stellar.
    I'm not surprised. For the money, they are very unimpressive.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I agree, it was a pretty dumb idea for a set, doesnt go with anything.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    They should have included the extra pieces for the town hall mini-build with the town hall as a freebie. Might have induced some to buy the current mini-modular set as well. Could have given the pet shop away as a promotion when you spend >£50 as they did with the Christmas rooms at the end of last year.

It was obviously a set that would struggle so a little marketing help would clearly help.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    This product was made only to advertise the VIP program. They want more people to join sot hat the'll likely to make more purchases in the future. You probably knew that already. :)
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    Mini/Micro building seems pretty popular. I like the minimods and would get future ones too. The price is a bit hard to swallow but how much would those parts cost through PaB, etc. It's about $0.06 a piece, which isn't too bad.

If anyone has gotten the MatLab scripts to work, can you run the minimods XML through there and see what kind of prices you get? Just a thought.
    rangermatt
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    I like the mini's as something I can easily display at my desk at work so I'd love it if they released another set at some point completing it but I couldn't see them doing it until they had another batch of 4 to do at once.
  • legomyLEGGOlegomyLEGGO Member Posts: 63
    I think also that they would be either just selling a mini version of newer sets to add to the set or having a completely new set to add to the current one. I think the only problem I have with them, as with others, is the price - half the price for less than half the size (regardless how many pieces it takes).

Though, I wonder what incentive Lego has if they get more VIP members. It's not like you pay for being a member.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ Track purchase patterns and get your email address for marketing. Also once you are given VIP points you'll likely want to "spend" them, so it gets you back into the store.
    AdeelZubair
  • legomyLEGGOlegomyLEGGO Member Posts: 63
    ^I figured those were the standard reasons. Similar to to what I've been doing with Best Buy, Rewards are the only thing that gets me to go back there.

I was wondering if there was a hidden reason. But there probably isn't one, just the ones you pointed out.
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    I think the mini-modulars are great for those who want to learn microbuilding techniques. They make innovative use of bricks, and showcase how to reduce a complicated design down to a micro-level. I usually very careful about price, but I felt these were worth it.

I don't display much LEGO, but I do have the mini-modulars on display in our home, and they always get positive comments from visitors.
  • tategoitategoi Member Posts: 19
    From the angle of a collector, only when the set is not popular that it has great potential in price appreciation after EOL'd.
  • weinnerweinner Banned Posts: 148
    I just can't bring myself to purchase these yet but I do want them really bad. If it was 20.00 USD cheaper I would have it. I'm trying to save my points for the big guys so I don't really want to use them for this. They are so small.
    From the angle of a collector, only when the set is not popular that it has great potential in price appreciation after EOL'd.
    Surely it depends on whether it becomes popular after it goes EOL. If it wasn't popular before, and doesn't become popular afterwards, then it won't appreciate in value. If the first in the line is so unpopular and Lego decide to can it (if they ever were planning a range) then people won't be buying new mini-mods, so they won't want old mini-mods either.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ good points. I"m not sold that the mini-modulars are going to be some big cash cow down the road like other Direct sets. their a pretty niche product in general (a subset of the subset of people that like the full size modulars), and once they are gone, I don't see a huge drive to acquire this set - it doesn't "complete" anything, it's not a licensed set or an iconic real-life scale model, it isn't a minifig scale set that can be used within some theme later on down the road. It's more in line with the Architecture series in my mind, without the series aspect.
    At least the architecture ones are architecture, in that they are somewhere recognisable.

That said, there are some great building techniques to learn from the mini-mods if you want to do some microscale building. That's why I downloaded the building instructions from Lego and build some using my own parts - as a learning experience, rather than for a model I'd actually want. Some bits I only built in my head!
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    How much are the Mini's selling for over in the US/UK? After reading that they've not been selling, I doubt they'll make they way down to Australia. I'm keen to pick them up though. Are they a kind of set that comes on special periodically? (Excuse my ignorance).
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    @Eric they're selling for $80 in the US. They're only in LEGO stores and have been out less than 3 months, I haven't heard of them being on sale. I'm happy to talk about possible ways to get them to you, pm me.

This is the only set my husband and I have fought over who gets to build it.
  • hewmanhewman Member Posts: 92
    ^^ Eric, they're at shop at home for us Australians, priced at $100. You have to be logged in to find them though. Last year we got free shipping on May 3 and 4 for the Star Wars May the 4th promotion as long as you bought $75 worth of Lego (I could be a bit wrong on this figure). No purchases needed to be Star Wars for that part of the promotion. I think that'd be the only time to get them, otherwise you're paying $40 for shipping which makes it a rather expensive set. I doubt it will come to any retailer here like other shop at home exclusives do.
    And £60 (GBP) in the UK.
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    ^^ Interesting, Thanks Hewman, will add that to my calendar. :P
    I think it pretty rediculous [email protected] don't cover shipping, especially after you spend so much money. Seriously, I mean, after you spend alot of money, on toys, I think they can afford to cover shipping cost.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    I think it pretty rediculous [email protected] don't cover shipping, especially after you spend so much money. Seriously, I mean, after you spend alot of money, on toys, I think they can afford to cover shipping cost.
    I agree with this. Many big companies such as Amazon, TRU, Target... etc offer free shipping if you purchase over a specific amount of money. With all these LEGO sets being sold in the second, I'm sure LEGO can afford shipping costs.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Yep - just taking the last thing I happened to look at, Ninjago's destiny's bounty. £52 from Amazon which includes free delivery, £60 +£4 delivery from [email protected] (£21 if I want it this week!).

Small sets I can understand, but anything around £20 or more should definitely be free shipping. Every opportunity I take I let lego know that they should offer free shipping and the ability to edit/cancel orders online especially when their 'international freephone' number is blocked by my work :-(
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 961
    £4? Man, you have my envy. €11.95 for delivery here. Which means that you have to spend €300 on [email protected] before VIP points cover shipping on a purchase.
    Does anybody think they will eventually lower the price of the mini modulars?
    edited April 2012
    I've never paid postage when my order has been more than £50 at the UK Lego store. Have I just been lucky that there was a spend £50 promotion on each time I have bought?

I just checked, £75 order at the moment qualifies for free shipping.
  • harrelmusicharrelmusic Member Posts: 65
    I don't think they'll lower the price anytime soon. They might go on sale towards the EOL, but I'd say if you think you "might" want to get them, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable the builds are. Granted there are a couple monotonous moments, but it really works out to be 5 sets in one and you can stretch it out over a week or two and call it your entertainment budget. Then you can display it on your desk and it'll keep you mellow. ;-) They were also a little bit bigger than I expected them to be having never actually seen them in a LEGO store (since there aren't any near me yet).
  • legirllegirl Member Posts: 105
    Can you really stretch the build for that long? I really, really tried to stretch the build of the town hall and could only manage 4 evenings!
  • vonlanivonlani Member Posts: 21
    i built the mini modulars over 3 days, 2 buildings on the first 2 days, one on the last. i was watching tv while doing it. aligning all this 1x1 tiles can take some time;-)

i guess one building took me about an hour.
  • legirllegirl Member Posts: 105
    Cool, maybe I could make it last 5 evenings then, at least the seperate buildings give a natural breaking point!
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    ^ Exactly. Much less tempting to start a new bag when you have a finished model to enjoy. Mine stretched over a week, as I actually had some non-LEGO things to do a couple of nights :oD

I bought a 2nd mini modulars today as I think it will be a while before there are any discounts, it already has a good price per piece count imho so I guess only if it really has proved unpopular will that drive the discount.

Bought the 2nd one as I'm a microbuilder; the pieces are great (had already broken up two of the buildings from my first set for the parts!) and the build is fun - the instructions don't treat us like total idiots like most modern instructions do e.g. adding one piece per step! Whatever happened to challenging children so they learn? Rewarding building experience my arse. ;o)

I also love that the buildings have a stronger European style than their maxi versions.

One major fault with the set is that when they are all stuck together, it's a riot of colours and shapes. Put me off buying it for a while. Now I display them separated slightly and it looks ten times better.

I bought a 2nd mini modulars today as I think it will be a while before there are any discounts, it already has a good price per piece count imho so I guess only if it really has proved unpopular will that drive the discount.
    That's true but the pieces are very small compared to most other sets, so judging price per piece is not such a good measure here.

Bought the 2nd one as I'm a microbuilder;
    So you need lots of small parts! Given the size of these, I wonder if you can save significantly by building the same models with different colours by buying parts from bricklink.
    Buying the set's parts list from BL at current quantity av would be £120 before shipping. Just tried a quick swap of the good colours to regular colours (as was interested in your question!) and it came down to £100.

Not worth losing those pretty colours imho! I don't know that small parts always = cheap parts necessarily on BL. Generally, of course yes, but once you get into the granularity of parts cheaper than 10p, there can be quite a lot of 'larger' parts that are cheaper than small ones because of their common availability.
    Yes, I guess that's true.

Mind you, to make a realistic UK high street in microscale, you probably only need a few brown 4x4 plates to board up the windows and you're done. No need for fancy colours.
    @caperberry - what about two 1x8 green (or some combo of green/brown or grey for sidewalks or alleys) to simulate a bit of a yard in between the buildings. Then they can still be connected but have some daylight in between.

Just a thought.
    @Bosstone100 Yes I've been thinking the same! - haven't found the time though. When I do, I'll make some mods to the existing buildings with my new set, make the pavements, and hopefully build a mini mod of my own design. I'd like to try some buildings in my street.
    @caperberry - I was thinking of added the technic pieces underneath the buildings instead of in the side of them so I can do the grass without making it seem like no one mows the lawn. I may buy a second one so I can more closely learn the techniques. I'm not much of a Lego engineer. LOL!
    Nice idea! Might steal that ;O)
  • harrelmusicharrelmusic Member Posts: 65
    @legirl I was able to stretch out the building partially because...and I might as well just admit this here...I bought the set without telling my kids, who would LOVE to see it and help, but now it's on my desk at work. So it was a lot of building after bedtime. ;-)

I'm going to take them apart and let them help rebuild...I'm not that much of a meanie.
    ^haha! I'm often jealous of parents, seeing as they have so much more "excuse" to buy LEGO, but now I see sharing is perhaps a larger problem!
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    I got this set the last time I was in the store. It's got loads of charm, and tons of parts. I thought getting 40 extra pieces was a nice touch too.

Do you think after they get the next corner building, they'll make a continued version with TH, PS, PC, PR, and ?? ?
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    FWIW, they were discounted during "Brick Friday"/Cyber Monday. I think they were $64USD, which is 20% off.

@jasor - I don't think they're sold very well at all, so it's probably anyone's guess if there will be another series...

Brent
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    ^ It's a highly underrated set. I had a lot of fun building it last year. It's perfect for those who are tight on time. You can build each one in about an hour and spread it out over the course of a week. Unfortunately, I doubt that we'll see any more released due to the set not being particularly popular.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
    They are still 20% off/$64, the fact that they are VIP only and only available at the LEGO store/[email protected] also limit the sales.
    What would be nice is that each regular size modular comes its mini version or maybe as a large free poly when buying the larger set.
    canon03
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    hmmmm, i can still see one coming out when the modular is released after the Parisian Restaurant.
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 816
    mathew said:

^ It's a highly underrated set. I had a lot of fun building it last year. It's perfect for those who are tight on time. You can build each one in about an hour and spread it out over the course of a week. Unfortunately, I doubt that we'll see any more released due to the set not being particularly popular.

Totally agree...This is what I did... Fantastic little set.

• LegonizerLegonizer San Diego, CAMember Posts: 39
    I loved the Mini Modulars, and now that LEGO has announced the release of the Detective's Office I'm thinking that they ever release another Mini Modulars, it will be in the next year or two, otherwise It's never going to happen.

It's been a year since anybody's posted here. I wonder if anybody will ever read my comment...
    GoldJono