Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Where have all the baseplates gone?

2»

Comments

• caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Bumping this thread as this question was actually raised at AFOLCON.

Designer Mark Stafford said parts cost IS an issue (they have a 'price point' to meet on all their models) but the designers primarily don't like them because models can come off them easily when moving around. He also claimed (someone please correct me if I recall this incorrectly) that on a 48 baseplate, the stud that is one stud inwards from each of the corners (i.e. there are four of these) has poor clutch power. Lord knows why. I've tried it on my 48 baseplate and can't tell any difference though.

Designer Adam Vaughan pointed out that the 'new' plates they use as baseplates, e.g. the 16x16 plate, is far more useful overall than a baseplate - you can use them as a roof for example.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    Yes, then explain why they are included in so many cheap sets like the games?

What Lego really needs to do is redesign the baseplate, make it a true plate like the 16x16 where you can use the whole 32x32 as a roof if you want.

Problem solved...
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,274
    ^ I'd love 32x32 that are regular plate thickness. I don't really mind that they dont attach from the bottom to anything but having them be different thickness messes with my setup when I want to connect things to baseplates.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    wow, 32x32 normal plates, now theres a thought ...
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    If they can make them somehow work with existing baseplates, then I'm game. But I'm not throwing out all these baseplates I've been collecting for 20 years just because 4 corner studs have reduced clutch.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    ^ the problem with regular plates is the built-in warping. Once you get past about 16 studs, those bigger plates have a serious curve to them. Check out some of the 16x32 ones that have been in some recent sets and you will see what I mean.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited May 2012
    I agree and when I asked the question I did mention my own experiences with them warping and not being consistent over long runs of studs, but either its not an issue or they didn't want to give anything away on that.
  • ethodaethoda Member Posts: 5
    The yellow beach house had a green 16x32 plate and I bought 2 just for the base plates
  • StormsworderStormsworder Member Posts: 107
    Baseplates always struck me as being sturdier than large ordinary plates. And there were some great and often rare designs in the past. Anyone remember that green 32x32 baseplate with the crazy-paved driveway? It was only used in two sets as I recall. And the 16x32 plate with that river across it? Only ever used in one Robin Hood set, and that was US-only.

Mind you, I wasn't such a fan of raised baseplates. It's true some great Pirate and Castle sets had them, but after a while they just seemed to become an alternative to Lego pieces. I would love to have seen flat baseplates for Space themes like Ice Planet. They could have had a base straddling a frozen river or an ice flow or something.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,655
    The raised baseplates were a cheap 'out' by LEGO to deduce parts in sets, and they would have been OK except they were flimsy to boot.