Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How to get all the Series minifigs in a collection?

superlegomomsuperlegomom Member Posts: 1
edited March 2012 in Collecting
My son and I are trying to complete both our Lego series 5 & 6. I can't even tell you how much money I've spent on these things only to end up having 6 of one, 4 of another, etc. but still needing 2 or 3 to complete the collection. Do you have tips for collecting? Or am I relegated to buy them on Ebay at a nigher price, which urks me sometimes I must admit.
We've tried to feel the bad for Lady Liberty's pointy head and have ended up with another Matador. With series 7 coming out so soon, we'd like to get our 5 and 6 collections complete.

Any pointers? Does anyone trade here? Or is there a trustworthy site within which you can trade? No one at school has as many as my son so he can't trade there.

Thanks. This is my first thread.

Comments

• LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    edited March 2012
    Bricklink.com is your friend. They have full boxes, single minifigures, or a complete set of all 16 figures. Some stores have more reasonable prices than others, but if you spend some time browsing you'll probably find a good price on figures. Links:

Series 5: http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=98800
    Series 6: http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=104641

And yes, many members trade on this forum. There are also lots of other LEGO forums that have a trading section. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to provide you with a link for single, verified packs:

Series 5: http://www.bricklink.com/browseList.asp?itemType=S&catString=746.765
    Series 6: http://www.bricklink.com/browseList.asp?itemType=S&catString=746.770

EDIT 2: By the way, there is a Series 6 trading thread here on Brickset: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/2995/series-6-trading/p1
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    Plus if all else fails their is eBay ;)
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 890
    For bag feeling, I would recommend feeling for the accessories, for me it's the easiest option.

Liberty, for example, has a slope for legs (easy to find, it's only that and the flamenco dancer in series 6), and is the only one with a 1x2 tile, it's easy when you know what you're looking for!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,651
    What are you after and what do you have to swap? I have traded here before (see Marketplace threads).
  • snowtygersnowtyger Member Posts: 47
    I might be able help too; list which ones you have and quantity, and which ones you still need.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Check out Amazon as well. Occassionally people will sell an entire set of one of each on there though it'll cost you more than MSRPx16.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    sometimes eBay has some complete series for sale.
  • LeelaLeela Member Posts: 53
    If you end up with 6 of the same minifig then it's not such a bad idea to pay more to get exactly what you want, either from Bricklink or eBay. Just calculate how much it cost you and suddenly paying even the double price is not that bad. I'm sure you'll find many people here willing to trade.
    Practise makes perfect when trying to feel them :), you just need to look for the most characteristic parts. Lady Liberty is easy to feel, just like @mr_benn said look for the slope. I always take a picture of all minifigs with me to a store to remember which accessories etc. to look for.
    I guess I'm lucky because sellers in my country simply sell complete sets of 16 minifigs and not only I save my time but it's cheaper that way (eg. entire set of series 5 shipped is $40, it's a nice price here but I'm not in the US).
  • ktmoktmo Member Posts: 73
    We run into the same problem. I end up buying the last two or three from eBay or bricklink. I figure even if I pay a little more for the one I want it beets buying the same one over and over. I think we have 5 or 6 boxers. If I pay a couple of bucks more it is still cheaper than buying 6 of the same.

But I do have to admit, that I enjoy the hunt. So, I don't want to buy them all right off the bat that way.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I have a few extra Series 6 I will give you if they are ones you need :)
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    I feel the bags. It takes a bit to figure it out initially, but in the end I can.

If you can't figure it out by feel, then it would be cheaper to buy via methods that others have suggested in this thread.

Tammy
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    I did the feel method for series 5. Bought 16 the first round and got 4 wrong. Was able to figure those out the next trip so I only ended up with 4 extra but it was fun. Took me about an hour and a half standing in WM to go through what they had.
    So far I've been 100% accurate on Series minifigs I want. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    I don't understand why people can't feel the bags. It works. Yes, it also takes a bit of time... but it sure beats buying a bunch of CMF for $3-3.50 and end up with doubles. Honestly if someone uses their brain, one can figure out which pieces are easier to feel for. Sorry, but I'm not much interested in hearing about anyone who can't do it... because if some of you go through the process of buying bulk and returning the ones you don't want, I don't think you're that limited for time. It's a bloody shame some of the so called "collectors" can't put their knowledge to the test.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I don't understand why people can't feel the bags. It works. Yes, it also takes a bit of time... but it sure beats buying a bunch of CMF for $3-3.50 and end up with doubles. Honestly if someone uses their brain, one can figure out which pieces are easier to feel for. Sorry, but I'm not much interested in hearing about anyone who can't do it... because if some of you go through the process of buying bulk and returning the ones you don't want, I don't think you're that limited for time. It's a bloody shame some of the so called "collectors" can't put their knowledge to the test.
    Who in this thread said that they can't? I agree that with a little time it's possible to feel out specific pieces which are telltale signs as to the contents. I myself have only made one error in over fifty tries and even then it was very similar figures/pieces which caused the confusion.

However, you're assuming everyone has access to stores that sell the figures. Some don't. Further, some stores, like Toys R Us, don't let you feel the bags. Additionally, those that do have access to them in stores may find the stock picked clean of the figures that they want. Thus, they may have to buy them from eBay or Bricklink to obtain the figures that they want.
  • ktmoktmo Member Posts: 73
    ^ I don't have the luxury of standing in the store for hours feeling the bags. I have two little kids who make that difficult. Also buying and returning, again standing in the customer service line not so enjoyable with two little kids.

I am getting pretty good at feeling the bags as I push the cart, so I can put back the ones I don't want before I check out.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    @YPres .. yes it's a shame everyone can't be as perfect as you.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    The feel method works very well, but does indeed take time. And you may have to endure odd looks from people while you're doing it. It takes only some basic reasoning/elimination skills to figure out what's in the bag. I find the process to be quite fun. I fished out 18 Gladiators from a Walmart when they had S5 for $1.50. Took me, I dunno... an hour? 75 mins?
  • chrisdojochrisdojo Member Posts: 169
    @superlegomom I have S5 sets for sale if you're interested, $45, $3 shipping in the US.
  • romdamromdam Member Posts: 136
    Returning minifigures??
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,585
    It was a nice day in Denver today and I took my 8 year old to the store to feel for some minifigures. I never really thought about being embarrased about standing there feeling packages. Then I thought to myself that if the girls dressed for the weather (since it was such a nice day) could walk by with more tatoos than a drunken sailor. I could stand here proudly feeling Lego packages.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,021
    The "feel the bag" method is definitely not for everyone and I would hope people can respect that. Additionally and as Prof notes, some stores would prefer you not manhandle the merchandise, though I myself have never had any issues at Toys R Us. For those new to the "feel the bag" method but willing to try, it's a little slow going at first but does indeed get easier. It just takes a bit of practice and a little dexterity.
    Returning minifigures??
    You buy some minifigure packets, bring them home, feel them in the comfort of your own home and return the ones you don't want. This method is if you don't want to feel like an idiot standing in the toy isle feeling out LEGO minifigures at the store.
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    edited March 2012
    my walmart is good about feeling up the bags, i started to get looks and just struck up a conversation about if they had anymore in stock, now they know what im doing when im standing there for hours feeling bags, i also sometime will push around a cart with the whole display in it to feel, if too many kids are around driving me nuts
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,585
    I have been to every store in town that sells them and have never seen them behind a counter. TRU, B&N, Boarders, WM, Target and The Lego store. None have ever tried to limit access to the bags. Where has anyone seen them limited?
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    ^ mostly Toys R Us. I've seen them kept behind the counter. I've also seen them in a large plexiglass container that dispenses from the bottom that makes rifling through them difficult unless you want to pull them all out a couple at a time.
  • harrelmusicharrelmusic Member Posts: 65
    edited March 2012
    When you're starting out with the feeling technique I think you have to try to feel at least two things in the bag to make sure, unless it's the slope of Lady Liberty's legs or something else obvious. Also, it's not always easy to realize what the most obvious pieces either. Keep the pictures from the box in your line of sight and don't assume you've made the right choice as quickly as you normally would (if you've ended up with multiples as I have).

My family was nice enough to help me make this parody video about just is topic. I've probably posted it on a forum here before, so forgive the shameless plug: Minifig training session
    Hope you enjoy
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    ^ That was hilarious and adorable!! I'll have to implement some those feeling techniques your sons employed. Who knew that smelling the bags worked!?
  • PohmPohm Member Posts: 17
    ^^ Liked the vid.

I have only tried the feel method a couple of times; the first the boxes had been stripped bare and I felt about a dozen clockwork robots out of 15 packets! So I decided to give it up. I often go to shops with my two daughters (6 and 3) and it is not really worth the hassle of standing around for 30 mins or more trying to establish which fig is which while they cause aggro around me. Despite the risks of multiples we all quite enjoy the unknown aspect of what we have.

The only other time I'd used the feel method (S3 I think) my girls swapped the packets with others that were on display at the counter!

However the series 7 bride and the bunny suit guy have certainly grabbed the attention of my girls and the bagpiper for me so I guess feeling the bags may be on the cards for those.
  • harrelmusicharrelmusic Member Posts: 65
    ^ That was hilarious and adorable!! I'll have to implement some those feeling techniques your sons employed. Who knew that smelling the bags worked!?
    Ha! I know -- that's what happens when I say, just make up some stuff!

@Pohm, thanks!

I have to admit, the youngest doesn't have patience for feeling in the store. Last week though, we came across some extra S3 and S4 at a small toy shop in KC and there was plenty of feeling involved for all of us. We didn't really catch the craze until S5...now we're hooked of course.

• fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128
    I personally swear by feeling the bags, I was embarrassed at first, but as I've gotten used to being an AFOL I could care less. If you do not want to feel the packages, make certain that the box has not been picked over before. Your probability for randomly getting a good number of different figures is not bad if the box has not been selectively emptied by eager fans.

I've had best luck at Target when they bring out the large hanging displays that fit several boxes worth of minifigures, these displays are often full of the rarer, more coveted figures. This appears to happen late in the life cycle for the figures, and so there are less fans looking to complete their series I'm guessing. Don't go to the Lego Stores, I've found them to have lots of figures, but they usually are missing the more coveted ones. At one point I felt well over 300 bags to find only a single clockwork robot there.
  • MontyKensicleMontyKensicle Member Posts: 59
    I've completed my set of series 5 and have some spares if you want to trade.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited March 2012
    Where has anyone seen them limited?
    W.H.Smiths, a major retailer in the UK, usually has them behind the checkout; previously they've also limited how many you can buy in one go. In UK TRUs I've only ever seen them on the shelf or on a stand, so no problems with the feel method; I think they limited series 1 and 2, but not since.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I loved the video :-D Cute kids!

My feeling is nearly 100% accurate, but frankly it's tedious standing in a shop doing it. I've now resorted to buying a big pile, sorting at home and selling the rest (or keeping them for making custom figs)
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    @ harrelmusic - Hilarious video. Showed my wife and she thought it was pretty funny as well. It was nice to be able to show her that other 'sane' adults do the same thing.

@superlegomom - Go with the feeling of the bags... Once you know what to look for it gets pretty easy. Just separate the torso, legs, stand and head and then see what's left. It gets easier rather quickly.

I just started w/ series 6 a month or two ago and managed to go 16/16 without any doubles. I got lucky in the beginning because I just went by bump codes and ended up wrong twice. But once I started the feeling method I was surprised at how efficient it was.

I also purchased Series 5 on ebay for $37 shipped which was a FANTASTIC deal. If you are diligent there are some great deals on ebay. The set I purchased were open but placed in individual jewelry bags that are going to be placed in easter eggs and hidden around the house for easter morning....I'm pretty stoked about the whole thing!

I placed an order on Bricklink.com for some other parts, but while I was there I saw several CMF's from the earlier sets for very little above face. $2.50-$4 for most and some fetch upwards of $5-$8. But to get one hard to get, discontinued minifigure for the price you would pay for 2 series 6 or 7 is a pretty good deal...especially if you can stop getting duplicates on the current releases.

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,375
    I don't know if this is the right forum to post this in. If it's not, mods feel free to re-direct it.
    I have the following extras from series 6:
    Looking for Roman soldiers, but I'll do a trade for a paypal payment as well!
    X2 Sleepyheads
    X2 Genie
    X1 Surgeon
    X1 Skater Girl
    PM me or post on here! Thanks,
  • weinnerweinner Banned Posts: 148
    I did the "feeling method" for the first time today. Came out with four out of four. I was surprised I did so well. My girlfriend was really impressed as well.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited March 2012
    ^is that a double entendre? Plus your sn. lol that's just too much.

But in seriousness, it gets addicting =)
    Lol, I've had that nickname since I was three, giving by my father. I loved hotdogs and still do. I learned to live with it.
    Lol, I've had that nickname since I was three, giving by my father. I loved hotdogs and still do. I learned to live with it.
    Have you tried the 50 cent hot dogs at IKEA (now 75 cents)? lol. Yea, it is always exciting to open up the bags and know if your "feeling" was correct.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 890
    I find that the feeling method takes some getting used to, but once you get used to it it's pretty foolproof. Know what you're looking for - every fig in a series has a 'signature item' in the bag that's pretty easy to spot - and away you go, don't worry about odd looks from strangers, actually they don't care what you're doing!

Series 6 has great examples of what to look for:

Roman - long spear
    Surgeon - 2x2 plate
    Liberty - Slope with 1x2 plate/telescope
    Flamenco dancer - Slope with fan
    Leprechaun - 1x1 round studs, also cauldron/top hat
    Skateboarder - long flat board, also wheels
    Butcher - Piece of meat
    Robot - big square head, key for back

etc etc. Series 7 looks to be quite a good one to pick out too - the Space Marines with their chunky armour and distinctive gun, knight with the long flat shield, bagpipers with the flat hat - easy :)

Of course, I say all this, but I just end up buying a full box :)
  • GermanderGermander Member Posts: 8
    Feeling is strictly forbidden around these parts. Only WHSmiths and Independant toy shop stock minifigs in my small town, if i want to fondle i have to drive further afar. Smith's keep them behind the counter and you have to take a pot luck- sometimes they have a quick feel for you to make sure they arn't identical figs but thats it.

The independant toy shop is much better. They dont allow customer feeling either, but have a 'swaps shelf' where you can either buy a figure that you desire from the shelf direct, for the normal £1.99 price, or if one of the sealed bags yeilds something you already own you can swap for something on the shelf instead (they offer a bag cutting open service as you are paying!). They operate their own feeling system. I now know that if im after a particular fig, if can speak to the lady shop assisstant & she will tell me if they have any sealed ones left as she keeps tabs on what is in the boxes- we've been chatting the last couple of times i have popped in & she filled me in on what she knows.

The swaps shelf is quite useful for topping up on the old series- they currently have some series 5 and quite alot of series 4 figs left to swap. Series 4 have been reduced to £1.50 and they even have a box of sealed series 4 figs selling at the reduced price too. No mad scientist left anywhere though- i asked!Its a good system really, means im not ending up with too many multiples of figs, apart from odd pot luck purchases ive made that havn't paid off. Although im still trying to finish off series 5, with Smiths being the only place left selling series 5 sealed figs, which is pot luck.

I feel privaliged to have such a lovely toy shop on my doorstep though- they seem to really enjoy selling the minifigs & helping people collect the full set!
    ^^ thats crazy, you are lucky

The independant toy shop is much better. They dont allow customer feeling either, but have a 'swaps shelf' where you can either buy a figure that you desire from the shelf direct, for the normal £1.99 price, or if one of the sealed bags yeilds something you already own you can swap for something on the shelf instead (they offer a bag cutting open service as you are paying!). They operate their own feeling system. I now know that if im after a particular fig, if can speak to the lady shop assisstant & she will tell me if they have any sealed ones left as she keeps tabs on what is in the boxes- we've been chatting the last couple of times i have popped in & she filled me in on what she knows.
    Being cynical here, have you ever asked for a Roman? What are the chances that they have all gone? If the shop feels them first, I reckon they cherry pick them over, eBay them for £4+ and leave the rest for regular customers to think they are choosing from the whole range.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    That's incredibly cynical, I'm glad I don't think like that. If the independent shop wants customers to return and complete their CMF collection from their shop rather than anywhere else, the practice you suggest would be counter-productive to sales for them.

And FYI, not everyone cares about the Romans (what have they ever done for us?). I've traded away at least 2, I couldn't care less about them.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^^ At just 3 romans per box I doubt most shops would even bother to go to the effort of finding them, listing them on ebay and then making about £1 profit on each after fees.

Last time we bought a batch of series 6 CMFs was in WH Smiths and before we paid the girl at the till checked the dot codes on each one for us (without being asked) and pointed out we had two the same. Hows that for service! Not sure the other customers in the queue were as impressed.
    ^^ At just 3 romans per box I doubt most shops would even bother to go to the effort of finding them,
    If you re-read it ... They operate their own feeling system. ... as she keeps tabs on what is in the boxes

They have already gone to the bother of feeling for all the figs, and know what is in the box.
    edited March 2012

Being cynical here, have you ever asked for a Roman? What are the chances that they have all gone? If the shop feels them first, I reckon they cherry pick them over, eBay them for £4+ and leave the rest for regular customers to think they are choosing from the whole range.
    I actually bought my roman soldier off the swaps shelf!!! Thier main customers are simply young kids who want to collect the set, rather than using them for MOCs, making armies etc so even their most popular figs appear on the swaps shelf when they are someone's duplicate. :)

The mad scientist featured on the swaps shelf for quite a long time, at some points there were 2 or 3 of them, i was just silly enough to hold off on buying one as i only buy 2/3 figs at a time and was concentrating on collecting series 6. Its only recently i have been working backwards to catch up. I think i have seem almost every figure in series 6 on the shelf at some point too.
    ^^ At just 3 romans per box I doubt most shops would even bother to go to the effort of finding them,
    If you re-read it ... They operate their own feeling system. ... as she keeps tabs on what is in the boxes

They have already gone to the bother of feeling for all the figs, and know what is in the box.
    What would you do with your time if you worked in a very quiet shop and were sat behind the counter all day with very little to do?
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    ... the Romans (what have they ever done for us?).
    Aquaducts? Roads? Central heating?