Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2012 Jambalaya exchange (US)

Comments

• jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    edited May 2012
    @sidersdd Sometimes people can use mixed up figures (raising my hand high lol) My football stadium is gonna need ALOT of minifigs to fill it (the actual stadium seats 92,000+ people) and I sure don't want repeat people on the seats (can you imagine a whole row of brides or kingdom archers??) :) One person's junk is another person's treasure. Hence the whole reason I suggested the exchange. You would be plesantly surprised how something you think is junk will be exactly what someone has been searching high & low for. Just my 2 cents
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 771
    2nd box will start this glorious 3 day weekend!
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    ^ ... and there was much rejoicing in the land ... Huzzah!
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    I'm going into box withdrawl. We need like 15 boxes circulating at any given point. :D

Sorry. I'm jacked up on caffeine and getting ready for the long weekend.

(but 15 boxes would be super cool - LOL)
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    Perpetual Jambalaya. I'm already seeing things I want to add to the next box. Gotta love those grab bags.
    edited May 2012
    I WISH our store ever HAD grab bags lol, I may have to bribe @littletoki & @CurvedRoadPlate to suprise me with some grab bags for $$ :) OR I KNOW I can bribe @littletoki with my awesome sorting skills on all those extra grab bags laying around her castle lol
    I've stopped buying grab bags for while - it was getting a little out of control. I'm still trying to sort through the 100+ that I have bought. :\
    Hey @littletoki I told ya my offer lol. Ship a ton up here, I will sort and bag individually and I keep one per 10 sorted :) I am fixing to have my 2nd hip surgery so I will be bedridden at a minimum of 2 weeks and then 5 more weeks of minimal movement. Give me something to do :)
    Ooh. I hope you feel better soon, @jadedanc. Bedridden for 2 weeks is no fun.

We're making slow but steady progress through the chaos. But thanks for the offer - will work for Lego! Love it. :D
    @jadednc pm me, I can possibly send you a random grab bag. I'll see if the store has any tonight.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    I have the box, it will go back out tomorrow.
    ^^^ Don't forget to post pics, it's fun watching the box evolve.
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    ^Yes I agree with CRP in regards to seeing the box evolve. Though I can't wait for the 2nd box now...must be patient.
    I've just come to get my phone to take photos. Whether I can work out how to post them is another matter :)

I am concerned about getting the box closed though.
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @bmwlego can't wait :-)

BTW... Brian & I LUG NY (and meee :-) did a parts draft at the meeting last week of the Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape set, with 7 sets/members participating and it was a ton of fun, we all got a bunch of our favorite parts from the kit in batches of 7s and kept our figs. If you haven't done it yet get some friends together and give it a try!

@sidersdd I loved the semi random MFs you put in, lots of great pieces in them!

So who else is in the X15 club? I'd say the best way to have multiple boxes going around and coming towards you if so would be to start them on other boards/sites/forums... We could also try to get the UK box across the pond but it seems unlikely.
    ^ you haven't been paying attention, they'd love to send the box over. Mainly because they want ours :) I've already volunteered to send ours there.
    Lol @Jenni at least some of us are paying attention......(shaking head at @murphquake Lol)
  • allmybricksallmybricks Member Posts: 156
    I received box #1 today and will get it off to Yellowcastle on Thursday!
    What happens when the 2 boxes meet? Mass hysteria...
    I've been trying for about 30 minutes and I can't get the original contents + my additions back into the Regional B box.

Looking online, it looks like quite a price jump up to the C box ($7 vs. $19 postage to get it to @Yellowcastle).

It's definitely difficult to take out more that you put in... I think we're going to need to make a pact to start doing that or just continue to increase the size of the box.

For now, I'm going to ditch the Regional B box and use a little larger plain box. It's going out Thursday. I'll post pictures as soon as my account get added to the Flickr group.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    To bring me back up to speed, what method are we shipping this box? I'm not familiar with the whole Regional / First Class / Priority options...
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited May 2012
    ^^ I accepted your request for the group.

I'm fine with the idea of taking out at least as much as you put in. How close is it to fitting in the B box?

According to your listed prices, two B boxes is even cheaper than C. We could go that route. Or we could abandon the priority requirement since everyone is being fairly speedy and the list is already sorted to minimize travelling distance.
    ^^ The guideline that we've been using thus far is that the shipper could send it in whatever box they preferred, as long as it was sent priority.

There are "regional priority" boxes that are different from the standard priority boxes and they seem to be the cheaper option. https://www.usps.com/business/priority-mail-regional-rate.htm
    @rocao it's bulging out the top about 1.5" and can't be sealed. I could try to force it, but parts may break.

Is there any interest in moving some items from Box #1 to Box #2? There are now 3 mini-sets (boxed) and several polypags in Box #1 that take up quite a bit of room.

#2 looks to be about 4 people from me.

I don't mind moving to a larger box and don't mind sending Priority. It's a gamble that it comes in under $19... if not, lesson learned... no big deal.
    Holy crapazoid. $19 for shipping!?!
    Do you have to order "Regional Priority" or can they be picked up at a Post Office? I'm confident I can get it turned around in about 24 hours and would prefer to not have to shell out $20 to puddle jump the box only a wee bit of distance.

Can I assume this is currently a "Top Loading B" box? (12 1/4” x 10 1/2” x 5 1/2")
    @allmybricks: do you have a scale to weigh the box? 10 lbs sent parcel post is $11.17, and won't be that much slower than priority since it's not travelling far.

I'm not in favor of the idea of taking some of the contents and putting it into the 2nd box that is travelling the opposite direction. If we did that, the people at the end of the list won't get a fair crack at some things, and unless we filtered it the pieces travelling in reverse will have already been seen.

Can you list which boxed sets are present?
    It's just under 6lbs. So it's estimating $10.30 for Priority Mail. It's only $1 less for Parcel Post.

Boxed sets:

5761 - Mini Digger
    7976 - Ocean Speeder
    8200 - Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen
    Target Gift Card

I've put in the Mini Digger and the Ocean Speeder. I'm going to try and debox them and see if I can make it work with the Regional B box.

@Yellowcastle - if I can make the Regional B box work, you can just throw a new label on it and reuse. No need to order a box or get one from the Post Office.
    ^ Understood.
    It doesn't solve your issue of getting the box to @yellowcastle, but unless anyone remaining on the list objects, I actually have 8200 Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen on my wanted list. Yellowcastle has a separate shipment he is preparing for me so he could just drop it in there. That would free up a bit of room.
    I'll admit I haven't been keeping up with the previous box contents but I thought we were focusing on pieces and not sets? I can understand occasional polybags but I would imagine boxed sets do take up an inordinate amount of space.
    That Creator front end loader takes up a lot of space with its hard packaging, it would be better to just have the parts in a ziplock.
  • kkskks Member Posts: 60
    It doesn't solve your issue of getting the box to @yellowcastle, but unless anyone remaining on the list objects, I actually have 8200 Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen on my wanted list. Yellowcastle has a separate shipment he is preparing for me so he could just drop it in there. That would free up a bit of room.
    No, objection here. I stopped checking the photos to be surprised, but it would seem everyone is being really generous which is awesome. I am also okay with whatever is decided on the box size and shipping method.
    @rocao it's all yours if you'd like it as far as I'm concerned. If anyone has anything lego with a Star Of Life on it (6 point star EMS logo) then that's on my wishlist ;-)
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 771
    edited June 2012
    Contents of Box #2 can be seen here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/notenoughbricks/7323748914/in/photostream

and here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/notenoughbricks/7323749434/in/photostream/

Will either see @murphquake in person one night this week or mail the box to him early in the week.
    @bmwlego AWESOME!!! Can't wait for it again! LOL
    edited June 2012
    I miss the box. *sigh*. Everytime someone posts new photos, my fingers itch.

Have we decided what we're going to do with Box #1 when it finishes and ends back at rocao? Sending it out again to interested parties or sending it across the pond?

Happy either way - but at its current weight, it might be a little pricey to ship it to the UK.

And lastly, just to confirm, Box#2 is going back the opposite way but only to those people with a (x2) by their names, right?

I think I'm hopped up on coffee this morning. :D

p.s. no objections to the Springs Lightning request made by @rocao.
    The box just arrived...

It is indeed still a Regional Rate Box B (approx 12" x 10" x 5"), though it appears to be packed to the brim. Shipping charges were apparently $8.48.
    Just an fyi...based on the address provided to me for the next stop, the box is actually going to go backwards about 200 miles. I hope to go through it this evening and have it ready to go tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Post more pics! This is really fun to follow. I'd love to get in on this next time.
    I am loving that mini Shuttle @Yellowcastle - was that a polybag build?
    ^ It was one of the Blisterpack "Mini-Building" sets from 2003/2004.

http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/default.aspx?theme=Star+Wars&subtheme=Mini+Building+Set
    What were the series 1 and 2 minifigs? I'm not as fluent in UPC code as I once was. Good stuff.
    edited June 2012
    I wouldn't want to ruin it for any who want to be surprised. ;o) I wish they would go back to the old method as I was a barcode reading savant. :o)

As I recall, there were no clear cut favs from S1 but I made sure the S2 and S3 bags were favorites.

FYI: The box has sailed. It took the clerk a moment to figure out how to price it but the damages were only $6 and change.
    Damn, damn. Before I came out of my dark ages. Now I want them ALL.
    Any objection to letting @mrseatle in on the nascent X2?
    @rocao - what was that "brown" polybag I thought I saw in the flickr stream?
    Maybe I should regret my addition to the Jambalaya box... ;o)

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/5153/for-sale-cmf-series-2-spartans-uk
    edited June 2012
    Looks like Boxes 1 & 2 are coming ever closer ... will it be Legogeddon™ if they should ever meet??!!