Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

My Website is Giving Away 12 Sets in 12 Days (including a LEGO Star Wars SandCrawler)

ParkGradesParkGrades Member Posts: 106
edited March 2012 in Marketplace
Greetings!

Over the next 12 days, my website, ParkGrades.com, will be giving away one new LEGO set each day - culminating in a new Star Wars Sandcrawler. Since I thought the Brickset community would be interested, I wanted to let you know about it.

My site, ParkGrades.com, a directory of information and reviews about parks, playgrounds, museums, trails, and beaches in (primarily) the US and Canada. The link to the giveaway rules is here: http://www.parkgrades.com/blog/12-days-spring-giveaway

We have previously run two successful LEGO giveaways: a PoTC "Queen Anne's Revenge" giveaway, and an Indiana Jones "Temple of the Crystal Skull" giveaway.

I'm posting this in the "Marketplace" forum at the request of the site's moderators. Of course, Brickset does not in any way endorse this contest. Just let me know if you have any questions, or if your area's parks/trails/beaches/etc. don't seem to be in ParkGrades.com's database just yet.

All the best,

Ben Hazelwood
ParkGrades.com

Comments

• ParkGradesParkGrades Member Posts: 106
    The giveaway schedule is as follows (but if you enter today, you'll be eligible for tomorrow's giveaway and every giveaway thereafter):
    Friday, March 23: LEGO City House (8403) - 383 Pieces
    Saturday, March 24: LEGO Ostrich Race (7570) - 169 Pieces
    Sunday, March 25: LEGO Harry Potter Quidditch Match (4737) - 153 Pieces
    Monday, March 26: LEGO Quest Against Time (7572) - 506 Pieces
    Tuesday, March 27: LEGO City House (8403) - 383 Pieces
    Wednesday, March 28: LEGO Desert Attack (7569) - 67 Pieces
    Thursday, March 29: LEGO Ostrich Race (7570) - 169 Pieces
    Friday, March 30: LEGO Indiana Jones Ambush in Cairo (7195) - 79 Pieces
    Saturday, March 31: LEGO Hero Factory XPLODE (7147) - 45 Pieces
    Sunday, April 1: LEGO City House (8403) - 383 Pieces
    Monday, April 2: LEGO Ostrich Race (7570) - 169 Pieces
    Tuesday, April 3: LEGO Star Wars Sandcrawler (10144) - 1,669 Pieces
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    Cool! This time I won't leave it til the last minute to post my reviews! :)
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    I could of have missed this in the rules but will the points you earn carry on the next days drawing? For example, if I earn 2 points on Friday, will those two points be carried on to Saturday, Sunday... etc?
    I could of have missed this in the rules but will the points you earn carry on the next days drawing? For example, if I earn 2 points on Friday, will those two points be carried on to Saturday, Sunday... etc?
    Yes, the points will carry over - so if you wrote one review on Day 1, those points would be "in the hat" for each day's drawing.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,247
    A way to upload multiple photos at once would be nice =)
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I left a review of the University of Chicago's Oriental Institute but I'm not sure how to upload photos. I didn't see an uploader anywhere.
    Never mind. I found it. *sigh*
    I'm trying to us the search feature, but you don't seem to have parks in Canada. British Columbia, to be exact. I tried my postal code. Nothing. City. Nothing. Province. Nothing. Help please?
    I'm trying to us the search feature, but you don't seem to have parks in Canada. British Columbia, to be exact. I tried my postal code. Nothing. City. Nothing. Province. Nothing. Help please?
    Hmmm... where in BC are you?

Exact: Richmond
    Nearby: Vancouver
    The photo uploader keeps freezing. I have spent the last two hours trying to upload photos. So far, I've got 7 uploaded out of probably a dozen and a half attempts.
    ^ I uploaded about 12-15 photos and haven't had trouble.
    The photo uploader keeps freezing. I have spent the last two hours trying to upload photos. So far, I've got 7 uploaded out of probably a dozen and a half attempts.
    Wow, I am sorry to hear that. Which OS/Browser combo are you using?
    Vista with IE7 or IE8. Mind you, I'm uploading some fairly high resolution photos (around 1.5 MB each) so that might be part of the problem.
    Here's a search for Richmond: http://www.parkgrades.com/parks/search/all?parkgrades-search=richmond,+bc&distance=15
    The parks should all be searchable by name in the "search by park name" box (http://www.parkgrades.com/search)

Please let me know if you run into any more problems... Thank you!
    About once in every three attempts the uploader would say that my file size was too large, exceeding the 10 MB limit, even though none of the photos was larger than 1.5 MB and they'd work fine the next time I tried the same photo. In the end, I got about two dozen photos uploaded in about three dozen attempts.
    Here's a search for Richmond: http://www.parkgrades.com/parks/search/all?parkgrades-search=richmond,+bc&distance=15
    The parks should all be searchable by name in the "search by park name" box (http://www.parkgrades.com/search)

Please let me know if you run into any more problems... Thank you!
    Thanks! Worked like a charm. I already posted 3 reviews, but did not add photographs. This is one particular contest I'm actually excited about because I don't have to "share" it with my Facebook friends or "like" your FB page. It is so simple and to the point. Just write a review and you've got an entry.
    Is there a limit on the number of photographs you'd like from a particular attraction? I have between 500-1500 each from different museums like the Met, Field Museum, etc. to say nothing of zoos and parks. Thus far, I've been selective in putting up pictures which highlight things mentioned in my review or which are of particular significance to that location.
    Is there a limit on the number of photographs you'd like from a particular attraction? I have between 500-1500 each from different museums like the Met, Field Museum, etc. to say nothing of zoos and parks. Thus far, I've been selective in putting up pictures which highlight things mentioned in my review or which are of particular significance to that location.
    Excellent question - I'd say maybe no more than ~20 photos per location (if they're all relevant). Thank you, sir, and good luck!
    Regarding photographs, I put up a review for Science World in BC and I have some images of an old exhibit they took down now. Is it OK if I upload outdated images? Or do the photographs have to b current?
    Is it also possible to win more than one day?
    Regarding photographs, I put up a review for Science World in BC and I have some images of an old exhibit they took down now. Is it OK if I upload outdated images? Or do the photographs have to b current?
    That would be ok, maybe make a note that it was a temporary exhibit? Thank you!
    Okay. So who is the winner for today?
    ^ It appears it was me =)
    Today's winner was "graphite" from Cedar Rapids, IA. Congrats!
    Made my day.. I never win anything!
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Congrats @graphite! I don't think I knew you were from C.R. either. I grew up there, and still have family there.
    Thanks! I just moved here last summer.
    Ben, How is the database populated on things like museums? Are there certain types of museums it is filtered on or if something isn't there was it just missed? Just curious because something like the Studebaker museum in South Bend, IN isn't in there or the Lars Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, MA. Just ones that I've been to that I've got a lot of photos from that I noticed weren't in there.
    edited March 2012
    A lot of museums are missing. I noted at least fifty in Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin and Missouri that I'm aware of which are not listed.
    Maybe add a form to request addition of missing places?
  • neomonkeyneomonkey Member Posts: 82
    I wish the search engine was better so I don't have to search by city.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Yeah, to be honest, I tried this last time and I don't think I found too many parks I've actually been to - especially in the San Diego and Indianapolis areas. A form to request additions would be nice.
    I wish the search engine was better so I don't have to search by city.
    Like a map-based search? or... ?
    Ben, How is the database populated on things like museums? Are there certain types of museums it is filtered on or if something isn't there was it just missed? Just curious because something like the Studebaker museum in South Bend, IN isn't in there or the Lars Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, MA. Just ones that I've been to that I've got a lot of photos from that I noticed weren't in there.
    A lot of museums are missing. I noted at least fifty in Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin and Missouri that I'm aware of which are not listed.
    Wow. We get our data from public domain datasets. I'll look into those states in particular... thanks for the heads up!
    Maybe add a form to request addition of missing places?
    Yeah, to be honest, I tried this last time and I don't think I found too many parks I've actually been to - especially in the San Diego and Indianapolis areas. A form to request additions would be nice.
    For now, please feel free to shoot me an email at ben - at - parkgrades.com
    Congrats Graphite! The City House is my favourite prize in the contest. Too bad I missed out on it.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    Grats graphite! :)

On a side note to @ParkGrades, I put in a request for the town change for one of your parks from my home area. It is DeNham Springs, not Dedham :)
    @LegobrandonCP days 5 and 10 are the City house as well so you still have a chance!
    Congrats Graphite! The City House is my favourite prize in the contest. Too bad I missed out on it.
    We're giving away 2 more City House sets on March 27 and April 1...
    edited March 2012
    I know! I'm excited. When I said missed out, I actually meant I missed out on this while it was in store for a limited time. It was only on the shelf for 5 months or something. ;)
    ^ ah that makes sense
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    Awesome. Signed up and added a few reviews for some of my favorite parks in the area. Bookmarked as well, as we're always looking for good parks to visit while on the road.
    Day 2's winner is "kitkatmom" from Westwood, Massachusetts!
    Next up, Harry Potter Quidditch Match (4737)!
    All prizes will be mailed after the end of the giveaway time period, in case someone wins 2 (or more) days' giveaways.
    Awesome. Signed up and added a few reviews for some of my favorite parks in the area. Bookmarked as well, as we're always looking for good parks to visit while on the road.
    Thank you, and good luck!
    Could you please implement a feature where you can upload more than one photo at a time. That would be very handy and less time-consuming.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ I assume you're talking about Park Grades? I don't think you can do that here either.
    I find the most time-consuming part to be selecting the photos to upload. They should be relevant and not blurry or difficult to discern in any way, after all.
    ^ I assume you're talking about Park Grades? I don't think you can do that here either.
    Lol. Yes, I was talking about ParkGrades. I don't upload photos on Brickset very often but when I do I use Flickr.