Forum Upgrade 3/19/12: Reviewing Updates and Bugs

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
edited March 2012 in Forum Operation
I am typing this intoa box that has disappeared off the right hand side of the page (firefox) so excuse me if my typing is not good, as I cant actually see anything im typing. Something seems to have changed on the forum in the ol last day or so and it's brioken!

Comments

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Also, I notice that the default view has changed from all discussions to categorised, also that there is no longer an edit function to go back and edit your post.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    I noticed this too, posted it in the Forum hints & tips discussion.
    ooooh, I notice we now have a 'recent discussions' link, nice label :)
    ... weirdly, however, it is not present on the page where Im currently typing this, but if you click 'all discussions' then on that page it appears.
    edited March 2012
    Oh, and the search is back to being broken again! Whats going on?

PS, just noticed that the edit option is still there, its just hidden under a cog icon.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    And at the end of threads there's no "back to discussions" - well there wasn't though on this thread there's "the forum".

But the alerts seems to have come back. Mine just showed 1 forever. now it says 7. though I ignore it anyway
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,440
    Yes, It does look as if we've suffered an upgrade. I'm on IE8 at the moment and so far everything looks OK, but I'll test properly at home later.

The "back to discussions" is now "Home" and, usefully, there's also a link next to it to take you to the topic the message is in.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    ^ "Home" takes you back to Category view though, and on mobile site there's no button to press to then get Discussion view back.
    I wonder if vanilla's business model is to break it with every upgrade so taht you pay to host it yourself just to get rid of them :)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    I'm using IE 9 and everything is behaving normal for me right now.
    ^ really? try searching for 'bugs' for example.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    "No results for bugs." Exactly what I said, there aren't any bugs. :o)
    ^
    lol ... I can just imagine the programmer over at vanilla... boss, I bet no-one will find any bugs in this release :)
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    ^^^^ As LIT pointed out I can not get back to discussion view from my mobile device which is TERRIBLE. Category view is very difficilt when you are trying to drive :)

Please fix or provide a workaround. Thanks.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    ^ Don't text while driving. :-)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    edited March 2012
    Here's what I see so far...

-The "Back to Discussions" button at the end of discussions has been replaced with "home" and "category" buttons. If you click home you now return to the category view. If you click on the "category" button, you go to that category.

-Full site view in the mobile version now has a "return to mobile" button on the bottom of the page.

-All edit functionality for both comments and discussions is now buried in the gear symbol to the right of every discussion/comment.

-Category headers are now visible in the mobile version.

-The "Discussions" link is now gone in the mobile version. Thus, the "all discussions" view is no longer attainable in the mobile version. For now, you'll have to rely on using a saved bookmark.

-In Firefox, the text box is pushed so far to the right that you cannot see what you're typing.

-In IE8 (Yes, 8), all of the links are misaligned so I cannot even sign in let alone navigate.
    edited March 2012
    Duplicate
    ^^
    -In Firefox, the text box is pushed so far to the right that you cannot see what you're typing.

-In IE8 (Yes, 8), all of the links are misaligned so I cannot even sign in let alone navigate.

Which pages are these? They might be caused by CSS issues with the custom theme. It actually appears to behave OK and better than the old version in IE8 for me.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    ^ On the page we are currently on, I am trying to type this reply to you. The box I have to type in is shoved far to the right and is not under the "Leave a Comment" header at all. The box is also obscured by the dark blue column on the right. Because I can't even see my text I gave up on composing "in browser" and ended up composing in notepad and pasting it back here.

I am using FireFox 10.0.2. I restarted my browser and cleared my cache to make sure I didn't have an out-of-date CSS.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    ^ I just updated to FireFox 11.0 and the problem still exists.
    It's OK in IE8, that's all I can test it with at the moment. I'll have a poke around the CSS when I get home in case it is a problem I've created.
    OK in Safari on iPad...
    edited March 2012
    OK in IE9...
    OK in Chrome on Windows..
    - My Firefox version is 10.0.2. I can navigate ok but posting/editing comments is near impossible.
    -Safari on my phone seems ok.
    -I have no functionality in IE 8.0.6001.18702CO.
    edited March 2012
    Not OK in FireFox 10.0.2...

I see what you mean, the box is positioned
    to the right of the button bar.

Let's see if I can fix in CSS.
    It seems it's the inline style display:block on the text area that's doing it. I can't fix that but I will report to the helpdesk.
    Firefox 11 here and have the problem.
    OK in chrome 17.0.963.79 m
    I've raised a support call...
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,909
    I don't know if it is just me, but this new "layout" does not seem as "streamlined" or as cleans as the previous layout. It looks very blocky (like LEGO). But that is just my opinion.
    For some reason, this new upgrade also now makes the font on the first post "bigger" than all the trailing posts...
    edited March 2012
    I'm told the Firefox issue has been resolved. I haven't tested it yet.

^ Yes it does seem to, doesn't it, and it's also added a 'Comments' heading below it which I hadn't noticed before.
    edited March 2012
    Just posted this in firefox 11, all good :)

(I can't believe they let that one go live without testing it properly!)
    Also good now in FF 10.0.2.
  • iadamsiadams UKMember Posts: 33
    I'm confused - what link/button am I supposed to click in order to mark the current thread as read and then return to the 'all discussions' list? Yesterday everything was fine, and now I've been downgraded. It's almost as bad as the Office 2007 UI downgrade!
    I've reduced the font size of the first message and added a bit of padding when it's your own message as it was touching the side of the blue box and looking a mess.
    ^^ In the Full Site version (i.e. not on phone in Mobile version), you click on "Discussions" at the top of the page to return to the "All Discussions" view.
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    Is the search feature working properly? I attempted a search on a few key words and got "No results".

So I did one on w"Lego" and still got the same response.
    It is broken again. While they try to fix it, the following link might be of some help:

http://www.google.com/enterprise/search/products_gss.html
  • iadamsiadams UKMember Posts: 33
    edited March 2012
    ^^^ Thank you, at least I can get there in one click now. Of course, the last post is sanely at the bottom of the page, and a huge scrolling exercise from the useful link. I assume some griefful feedback will be heading to vanilla.
    ^^ or you can use the normal version of google, and just search for "brickset forum xxx", used to do that all the time last time it broke.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Maybe I missed this mentioned in a previous discussion somewhere, but where did "all discussions" go? That was my start point when visiting this forum. I like to see the most recent posts, not broken down by category.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    I see it, n/m! "recent discussions"
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Was the "Edit" function removed for freshly posted comments? I thought that was really useful.
    Was the "Edit" function removed for freshly posted comments? I thought that was really useful.
    No, just click the cogwheel on the top right hand corner of your post to edit your post.
    edited March 2012
    The bookmarks area on the lower right hand side of the page seems to have disappeared. Think this was in the last few days rather than on Monday with the rest of the changes? - not 100% sure though. I used to use that all the time, now I have to go to the seperate 'bookmarks' page after reading each topic which is a pain.

Actually I've noticed that the link to 'bookmarks' from in the site seems to have totally disappeared (lucky I bookmarked it in my browser! http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussions/bookmarked ). In fact there used to be a whole submenu under your profile with the topics you'd posted, the things you'd replied to, and your bookmarks etc, and that's all gone too.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^Thanks for the tip LegobrandonCP! I thought it was essential for spelling and grammar errors that slip by as you push 'post comment'.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    I don't know if other people are having the same issue as I am, but the Brickset forum has been terribly slow for me the past two days and often times out trying to load. I have found that, though still slow, using Safari has had a much higher successful load rate than Firefox, Chrome, or IE.
    I've tried IE, Chrome and Firefox, but still have the same problem: http://www.flickr.com/photos/legobrandon/6862878586/sizes/l/in/photostream/
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    edited March 2012
    Yep, seems terribly slow. Not all images loading either. Dunno if that's just me or not. Am using IE8.