Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Custom LL918 and LL924 1x6 bricks?

Are there any LEGO custom printers out there offering 1x6 bricks with "LL918" or "LL924" custom printed on them in the style of the new Galaxy Explorer?

Comments

• datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,765
    If not, you might want to look into Brother P-Touch labels. 
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,971
    Seems like a missed opportunity if somebody out there isn't making these.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,332
    edited August 3
    pxchris said:
    Seems like a missed opportunity if somebody out there isn't making these.
    @pxchris I'm glad these are only available as stickers.  I was updating the "Fake LEGO" chapter of my online collectors guide... which has gotten MUCH larger in the last 2 years... and the number of fake LEGO items causes big headaches for buyers on Bricklink and Ebay.  Sticker sheets are one of the easiest (although not always) ways to spot if something is not genuine.  Actual printed bricks may not be as easy to spot.

It is easy enough for new owners to say that something will only stay in their collections, thus preventing grief to others.  But it's another thing that (God forbid) any of us pass away, and our heirs sell our collections without the knowledge that some things are not as they seem.

With the improvements to 3-D printing, and improvements in color scanning/printing, the future of LEGO will have a lot of "surprise" fakes in the secondary marketplace.

Just look at the Mr. Gold CMF... there are probably 20 fakes out there for every 1 real one (although they are sold as $2-$5 fakes). 
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,971
    @Istokg I am actually in complete agreement with you when it comes to reproducing an official print from TLG. I know I've seen many of these fakes in the market - especially on minifigs. However, if it's a custom print of a part that LEGO hasn't ever made, in those cases I'm much less concerned (of course unless LEGO does end up making that part somewhere down the road and then there would be real pandemonium!) and believe in some cases it might fill a hole in the market.
    But you're right, stickers in general is much less problematic.
  • eMouseeMouse Member Posts: 6
    edited August 5
    Istokg said:
    @pxchris I'm glad these are only available as stickers. 
    They aren't available in any form at the moment. The Brother P-Touch label reference is a DIY solution.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,283
    @Istokg - in this case, the 'fake' would be obvious. For the new Galaxy Explorer it uses a 1x6 brick with 'LL928' down the side. The alternate builds also use this brick, and so have 'LL928' down the side, but it would be much more of a faithful homage to the original two smaller sets if the 1x6 bricks had upscaled 'LL918' & 'LL924' on the sides. Neither of these would be mistaken for the original parts from those old sets, as the originals are 1x4 bricks.
    560Heliport
    Yes, in this case I think it's well documented that the custom bricks I'm looking for aren't, and never have been officially made. Since it seems no one has done it already, I identified the font used in the new LL928 1x6 brick, and used that to design an LL918 and LL924 imprints that match its look. I'm looking into options for getting those printed, at least for my own personal collection. I don't think there would be any sort of rights issue with LEGO since the font used is publicly available. There were a couple minor adjustments needed to match up with the individual characters.
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 2,105
    I don't know what country you're in, but I'm sure there would be plenty of people willing to split the cost with you to get a set of these. (E.g. this guy).
    PDelahantypxchrisMaffyDgmonkey76lowleadRuMontag
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,283
    ^ & ^^ Likewise - this guy (me).
    gmonkey76lowleadRuMontag
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,019
    In the UK, I suspect https://fab-bricks.com would be able to print them.
    Brainsluggedgmonkey76MaffyD
    edited August 13
    I'm in the US, but it seems I'm going to have to reach out of the country. So far, in order, I've had 'no response', 'we're booked for 10 weeks and aren't taking new orders at this time', 'we don't do requests', and 'it's too similar to the old 1x4 pieces'.

It is in fact a different font than the original 1x4, as well as being printed on a 1x6 brick, but oh well. Plus, I found a font that is likely what LEGO designers used to make the "LL 928" design, with some very minor adjustments. 

Hoping I can find someone who's willing to print the design I made. Reaching out to fab-bricks.com and we'll see what they have to say.
    pxchrislowleadRuMontag
    Finally got a response I'm hopeful about. Hopefully this will work out.