Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO European Department Store Mail-Order Sets

IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,332
edited August 1 in Collecting
Special LEGO sets for Department Stores either as in-store or mail-order were very common in the USA and Canada (Samsonite LEGO) in the 1960s and 1970s, especially for Sears, J.C Penney's and FAO Schwarz stores/mail order business.

I had always thought that department store "labeled" mail-order LEGO sets were not found in Europe, Australia, or Asia.  But I was wrong.  Recently came across these unique French La Redoute department store mail order sets from the early 1970s.

Only thing is that I had never seen a department store name printed on a regular LEGO set before (these were sold elsewhere as well, but without the special "La Redoute" labeling).

Here are the 4 sets I have found so far... the 604 Excavator (1971), the 609 Aeroplane (1972), the 610 Vintage Car (1973), and 611 Police Car (1973), all with "La Redoute" labeling on the front.

604 Excavator...

609 Aeroplane...

610 Vintage Car...

And finally the 611 Police Car...

The top of the boxes all mention that they are packed for La Redoute by LEGO Systems A/S in Denmark...

These LEGO sets (and maybe others?) were shown in an early 1970s French La Redoute catalog.  Here is the cover of a 1971 Fall-Winter Catalog.  I'm still looking for the specific catalog page image with these sets shown.

Does anyone have any other La Redoute labeled LEGO sets?  Or any other department store labeled sets that are obscure?

My Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide just keeps getting bigger and bigger!  😊

The_Rancor560HeliportSwitchfoot55pxchrisJudgeChuckMarshallmario