Watching Amazon Prices

kufkuf Member Posts: 66
edited March 2012 in Brickset.com
So, there have been some great prices on LEGOs at Amazon that disappear by the time I see the site. Is there some app that will pop up alerts on my iPhone when there is a new discount?

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,440
    Not yet but I'm going to work on email alerts sometime soon.
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    Not an App, but you can subscribe to the RSS updates here: http://www.brickset.com/rss/news/?amazonUK

I'm not sure if it will filter those RSS feeds based of whether you have the 'Sets whose price has fallen' and 'Sets on your wanted list' filters set as well. It would be nice if it did and also if you could get it to email the same.
    /\ I like what @Huw said!
  • kufkuf Member Posts: 66
    Cool!
    OK, so how should the alerts work? Discuss....
  • scratchdeskscratchdesk Member Posts: 155
    I'd prefer text alerts if I'm really set on picking stuff up at discounts. Emails could be made to be sent as text I suppose also. My thought would be price drop alerts based on percentages. If I want YYY for at minimum 10% off MSRP alert me. Or if I want set ZZZ at minimum 20% off alert me. Can you factor MSRP into it somehow? So we dont get goofy alerts for items going into and out of stock.

Thanks Huw!
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,909
    iOS/Android notifications would be nice.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    Email alerts when sets in your want list go below a predefined discount threshold would be ACE!
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,751
    Like the bactarian themed amazon watchlist site basically. If an item on my 'want' list drops to below certain percentage :D (realised I've basically just repeated the above).
    As an aside - in my experience the 'bactarian themed Amazon watchlist site' has been rather poor over the last few months, in that I'll sometimes receive a notification that item X has dropped 1p below my defined threshold and I go in and look at the price graph and it shows that 2 weeks ago it was a few pounds cheaper for a couple of days but they didn't alert me!
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,751
    I don't know if they have a time limit on watching things either. i.e if it doesn't drop after a couple of months, do they still keep watching? Brickset to the rescue?!!
    I've added the RSS feed (US) to an app that purports to pop up alerts on my phone when new items are posted. Time will tell how well that works.
    I like the idea of being able to request alerts at a percentage off of MSRP- I don't really care what the mark up was.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ what's the app, sounds interesting.
    edited March 2012
    Boxcar - free
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    I'm also in favor of alerts based on defined percentages for which you are subscribed, regardless of the item being on a want list. At certain levels any LEGO is too good to pass up. I'm also not very current on my want list, since at any give time it's half the LEGO product line.
    Yeah, for example I have the UFO Abduction set, but it was a great price and would be a nice gift for my nephews
  • harrelmusicharrelmusic Member Posts: 65
    edited March 2012
    camelcamelcamel.com has a lot of what some of you are talking about. I added a few sets that I would like to get, but only if they go on sale. When the price hits a certain point I'll get a message -- here's my review of it though: Once I got an alert (I have them set to come to me via twitter, which pops up on my phone like a text) that Amazon had the T1 Camper Van at $99. I logged in right away and it wasn't really available for that price anymore. Another time I got the same alert and was able to get it for $99.

So it's not 100% foolproof; there seems to be some delay. I suppose this can be expected when you're talking about price checking all of Amazon.com. Overall I'm happy because I have a few items on my want list that I don't have to think about and I'll probably get at some point. The T1 Camper Van is usually only in stock for a short time anyway, so maybe that's an extreme example.
    @harrelmusic My experience of that site is pretty poor recently I keep getting price drop alerts and when I look at the price history I see it was cheaper recently but they didn't notify me. For example I got a notification on a book today saying it was down to £10 and when I click on the price history I see it was £7 for two days last week but they didn't alert me. I suspect they need some server upgrades to cope with the amount of price tracks they are running now or Amazon are throttling their queries and making them miss some drops.
    So it seems there are often bargains to be had on other European Amazon sites. At the moment I only have 'See what's discounted at Amazon.co.uk' on my Brickset.com homepage. Is it possible to get links for similar links for Amazon.fr and .it and .es etc or even a Meta showing all the European Amazon sites on one discounts page?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    edited March 2012
    ^ You can opt in to the overseas Amazon alerts via your preferences, and you can access the full Bargain Watch listings from within those alerts, but you can't get the links to the overseas Bargain Watch listings on your front page.

You can view and compare the various Amazon prices across the globe for current sets by clicking the 'Buy' tab on the set page.
  • harrelmusicharrelmusic Member Posts: 65
    @Cam_n_Stu hmmm....That's no good! I haven't used it long enough to see that, so I'll use it with a grain of salt. Perhaps it's just a decent place to check recent prices and make sure you're getting a good deal. I do have to give it credit for the VW Van that's in my closet. ;-)
  • MrBerreMrBerre Member Posts: 246
    So it seems there are often bargains to be had on other European Amazon sites. At the moment I only have 'See what's discounted at Amazon.co.uk' on my Brickset.com homepage. Is it possible to get links for similar links for Amazon.fr and .it and .es etc or even a Meta showing all the European Amazon sites on one discounts page?
    I've actually been thinking about making something like this. Just need to find the time and a way to automate it all.
    edited March 2012
    ^ Actually I misled you guys - Huw's renamed the "Buy" tab. It's now "For Sale". Go to any current set page and click the "For Sale" tab; the current prices for all Amazon sites are listed plus historical price info.
    I've actually been thinking about making something like this. Just need to find the time and a way to automate it all.
    No need - I think what you're describing already exists on Brickset, as above.

• OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Is there any way for the Brickset Amazon tracker to only alert when the actual seller is Amazon.com? Speaking objectively (no offense intended in the following thoughts), the tracker is of very little value when a vast majority of these updates are from third-party sellers who sell at a "low" price but charge shipping. Which at times, fully negates any savings to the buyer (compared to free shipping when purchasing from Amazon.com).

With that said, the tracker is VERY useful at random times. I picked up King's Castle for $70-something shortly before it retired. But I'm just saying the actual deals are few and far between and I'm almost to the point of fully ignoring it when my eyes are on autopilot and browsing this website.

^ Thanks for the comments.

Overall, taken across all 6 Bargain Watch listings (US, UK, DE, FR, IT and ES), the vast majority of alerts aren't actually third party listings. Furthermore, the system is generally able to factor in shipping when calculating the discounts, thus giving a true indication of the saving. That having been said, I agree that the U.S. does seem to be disproportionally affected by third party sellers "playing the system" with respect to item price vs. shipping costs. Also, it does appear that in some instances the system is failing to take account of shipping costs, although please remember that the alerts and listings are a snapshot of price + shipping at a given moment, and these variables can subsequently change at any time so they may in fact have been accurate at the time of the listing and alert - I've been able to confirm this on a number of occasions in the past when folks have complained.

I don't think we'll readily be able to filter out third party listings, to be honest, and I'm also not convinced it would be a good thing to do so anyway as some genuine bargains would be missed as a result; providing the system can reliably adjust for shipping there's no need to filter these out anyway as they simply won't make the cut if they're not a good deal, so I think our time would be better spent trying to ensure that shipping costs are reliably captured and taken into consideration instead.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Thank you for the response. What you say makes sense. I will continue to be happy that you've given us a tracking system at all, and hope for good finds.
    The system is almost a victim of its own success: low prices are picked up by it which causes people to buy which then causes stock to deplete or Amazon's algorithms to raise prices again. Thus by the time you or I look the price has gone up again!
  • iadamsiadams UKMember Posts: 33
    Could we have a change to the discount listings page please?

The listing has a 'buy now' button which takes you to the relevant amazon page, which is great, but the set number and set title are also links to that page; there doesn't seem to be a link to the brickset page for the set. This is especially irritating as the amazon discount page tells me whether I own a particular set, but not how many copies.

Such an almost perfect page...
    edited April 2012
    That's sort of deliberate to ensure you get to Amazon one way or another!

You can get to the set details page by clicking on the image and then 'More...'