Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Next Modular - Time to speculate

stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
edited March 2012 in Collecting
Ok, we've all got/getting the TH and love/hate it, but what'll be next?
What would you like to see and what do you think we will actually see?

I think they must be due to bring out a Police Station in this format. They've done it with FS.
Ones I would like to see are school, hospital, bank & cinema.

Thoughts?

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    Others have speculated that the pattern suggests another corner next so I'd say that would rule out a police station or school. A bank or cinema would make a good corner though.
  • jpczjpcz Member Posts: 95
    I was hoping for a cinema...i think lego could do some cool things with the interior and i keep thinking how cool the movie listing board outside would look.
    ^ I agree. The listing board would be a really cool look.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I also vote for bank or cinema...
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2012
    I vote for a modular town home that has multiple alternative builds in the instructions. Give us 3-5 variations so we can build a whole row of town homes.

The cinema mentioned above is also a smashing idea.
    They both could be fairly interesting inside. A cinema with concessions area and a stage/screen and seating with a second (and maybe third) balcony seating. The bank could have teller counter with old fashioned brass security gates and a vault with the 2nd floor offices etc. Plus the bank could go well with all the cops and robber sets they've been putting out. Lots of bank robbery scene potential.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Post offices were routinely placed on corners so I'd wager more on that if there were anything to the belief that the next modular has to be a corner building.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Cinema or theater... The modular series just begs for a beautiful, art deco cinema. The Town Plan cinema is nice but limited on the interior. Also, just make it one big screen like the old days. What would be cool is if they could make enough room in the projection booth for one of those new micro projectors and people could mod it to actually show movies. If Lego wanted to get real creative they could make it a cinema/theater hybrid. One could simply add a stage. A symphony hall would be cool too.

Please, not a police station or civil, public building (ie fire dept., post office zzzz..)
    Town Hall already is kind of boring.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    When is the street going to get some public toilets?
    ^ haha. You want some port-a-poties along your street? Should be a pretty easy custom piece =)
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    edited March 2012
    ^^How many downtown strips do you see with a port-a-jon? :)
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Please no to a police station. At least not for a few years. I think it could look great but I don't like the idea of the modular line reminding me of the fire/police-heavy City theme.

Cinema sounds very nice.

Museum - I can picture some nice-looking dino skeletons for an exhibit on one of the floors

Music/record shop - these are a relic of our past in many cities, but they used to be a staple on Main Streets everywhere. This could have a lot of charm.

• princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    TLG have signed a deal with McDonalds and their new Modular will be a big Maccy D's with the golden arches. ;)
  • vader34mtvader34mt Member Posts: 88
    @Odindusk...a museum with dinosaur skeletons would be a MUST BUY for me
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Even Boba has to get down to business sometimes.
    ^It is actually a teleporter disguised as a jon.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Definitely too crowded inside to be a TARDIS.
    edited March 2012
    ^Well the Dark Side has developed better technology than Dr. Who. They like to refer to it as the NANO.
  • veritas313veritas313 Member Posts: 80
    I'd like to see a Lego store and a town house - similar to the PS idea. Or a delicatessen with a town house. Then you can just keep going ..... butchers shop, old fashioned sweet shop with jars of sweets.
    Does anyone hope or think they'll do another modular in time for Xmas? I'm sure there's time even if they hav'nt thought of it yet?
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    A corner cinema would work very well. The could design it similar to the CC but instead of a hotel sign it will say cinema. A bank would be nice too.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    I'd still like to see the same things I listed when I posted a similar topic last year:
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/979/future-modulars

In no particular order...
    Bank
    Library
    Museum
    Police Station
    Hospital or Doctors Office
    Barber
    Deli / Bakery
    Post Office
    Train Station
    Ballroom / Dance hall
    Theater / Cinema
    Hotel / Bed & Breakfast Inn
    Apartments
    Newspaper building
    Fitness Center
    School/College
    Office building
    Hardware store
    Auto Mechanic
    ... the list goes on & on & on....
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Definitely too crowded inside to be a TARDIS.

Looks more like a TURDIS to me.
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 531
    I love the idea of a bank. I think there are a lot of great possibles to include. A lobby, a value, offices, robbers. A cinema/theater would a also be great. And I agree about the police station. I'd like to see one done, but not right now.

A restaurant/bar would be a very nice addition. I'm think either a pizza joint with an apartment above or a bistro with a bar. A bar/tavern by it's self isn't going to happen. But with a restaurant it might be a good fit.

I'd also like to see a building that's under construction. I'm thinking 6390 Main Street, but in the Modular scale and style. I'm not sure what type of building this would be, maybe just offices. Almost every downtown area I've been has one building that is being built, rebuilt, or renovated.

Finally a library. I'm not ready for building, maybe after the next corner. The interior might be a little repetitive, but the exterior has a lot of great styles TLG would work with.
  • legirllegirl Member Posts: 105
    I think we need another shop/townhouse combo to make it more in line with a real highstreet. I think a cinema would be cool but what I really want is either a school or a library - let's get our minifigs edumacated!
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    Definitely a cinema!
  • wertyjjwertyjj Member Posts: 64
    CINEMA!!!
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    I'd like to see a decent hospital as the next CC-style building. Something classical, perhaps ... would be great to have detailed rooms within.
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    A library or cinema would be good too. I devised two MOCs for these (http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/73591), based very loosely on Town Plan. For now, these work for me!
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    I would love to see an apartment complex. Each apartment would be furnished differently, plus maybe an elevator and a doorman.
  • tsitsi Member Posts: 34
    I would like to see a timbered house with classic roof bricks, e.g.:

• ringleheimringleheim Member Posts: 168
    Everyone is commenting on what they would like to see.

My question is when might we see it? Is it possible we could get another this year?

As for what to make, I'd like to see anything as long as it is "quaint" in the GG and PS mold. All the buildings are cool, but FB, GE, and TH would not be called "quaint" at least by me. I'd love to see a really ornate rowhouse type thing that houses something cute, like a cupcake shop or a butcher shop.

Also, with the varied architectural influences already in the lineup, is there room for something contemporary or flat out super modern? I'm think some type of cool Frank Gehry "music hall" could add an interesting juxtaposition to the architectural themes already in place. Some might view that as jarring, but I think that type of eclectic mix could be cool.

^ Sadly, we won't another modular for at least 1 more year.
    edited March 2012
    ^^ From what past threads discussing this have speculated and looking at the release trend they've had one release a year if I remember correctly.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 282
    Not a fan of speculation.
    If you want to make it like a real high street - a betting shop, next door to a Poundland. And probably a Starbucks either side of them.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    ^ hey, throw in an Iceland and Bakers oven and boom, that's High Wycombe High street!
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    If you want to make it a REAL high street, you need a job centre with Carling Special Brew swigging minifigs outside.
    I'm surprised nobody has asked for a Lego Store yet.
    edited March 2012
    ^^ And you'd need some chuggas too actually ... I got accosted about 3 times today :(
    ^^ A 3 storey LEGO Store would be very cool.
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    @LIT

I actually count a trip to town without being begged for money in the minority - I'm surprised if I make it to town without it happening.

@CCC - I love that idea! I think the Lego branded Lego toys are brilliant, I've got the Lego City truck purely because it's Lego branded Lego. A Lego department store would be brilliant!
    edited March 2012
    A coffee shop/café would be nice. There are endless possibilities.
    ^ Isn't that basically the Cafe Corner? ;)
    ^ Isn't that basically the Cafe Corner? ;)
    Grrrr... I can't believe I forgot about the CC. I feel stupid now. lol.
  • HuskerDontHuskerDont Member Posts: 32
    I want to see something along the lines of the Pet Shop. Two buildings, but with a shop in both of them and two one floor apartments over each. I don't want a bank, as I'm currently working on a "modularized" version of the Bank and Money Transfer.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    I actually WANT a police station as a corner building. My current display set up allows me 4.5 modulars per side, so if my dream of Town Hall being flanked by the Fire Brigade and a police station is to come true, I either need the police station to be on a corner, or get a larger LEGO room that can house a larger modular table.
    Does the magnifying glass the little girl holds in the Town Hall give a clue about what the next modular building is? Kinda odd how a girl would be holding a magnifying glass in a town hall. I forget where I read this but every modular has a slight 'clue' to the next one. CC- Spilled grapes ---> GG- Fire Hydrant ---> FB- ?? ---> GE- Wedding Mannequin ---> [TH (but delayed)] PS- ??.... I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
    ^ I hadn't heard that, but its an interesting theory. I don't have a TH yet to scrutinise for clues I'm afraid.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    Does the magnifying glass the little girl holds in the Town Hall give a clue about what the next modular building is? Kinda odd how a girl would be holding a magnifying glass in a town hall. I forget where I read this but every modular has a slight 'clue' to the next one. CC- Spilled grapes ---> GG- Fire Hydrant ---> FB- ?? ---> GE- Wedding Mannequin ---> [TH (but delayed)] PS- ??.... I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
    I mean no offense by this, but this seems like quite a stretch... and even by the example you provided, there doesn't seem to be any real pattern here.