Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Interview with Mike Psiaki, designer of 10497 Galaxy Explorer

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 6,553
edited June 22 in Brickset.com articles
Interview with Mike Psiaki, designer of 10497 Galaxy Explorer

Brickset visited the LEGO Campus in Billund last month, touring the new headquarters and discussing the 90th anniversary of LEGO.

The event included brief interviews with Mike Psiaki and Milan Madge, the designers of 10497 Galaxy Explorer and 10305 Lion Knights' Castle, respectively, although both designers had some influence on each model. Our conversation begins with the new Galaxy Explorer.

Focusing first on this reimagining of 497 Galaxy Explorer, or 928 Space Cruiser and Moonbase, was consideration given to including the moonbase mentioned in the original European set name?

Mike: Initially, we were considering including the ground structure, which also meant bringing back the old moon baseplate. We know that people love that plate and we certainly do too. There would be complications in doing that, but it is certainly not impossible. Nevertheless, including the crater baseplate ultimately seemed weird, especially as the vehicle had become bigger, relative to the original model. Also, the conflicting grey between the Galaxy Explorer and the baseplate could create issues, so we thought about changing the colour to tan because that complemented the ship, but updating the colour of something so iconic felt wrong.

Continue reading »

© 2022 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Comments

• JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,549
    Firstly, great interview with a fantastic designer! :-)
    I am, literally, buzzing about this and can't wait for it to be orderable on Lego.com in Europe!
    I've also decided that I am going to have to buy two sets, so that I can build at least one of the other ships at the same time (924 & 918). From a very quick peruse, it looks like you would need 3 sets to build all three at the same time, but it will be interesting to see, given two sets, how many additional bricks would be required from B&P / BrickLink to build the third model.
    At an absolute minimum, I am guessing you'd need an extra couple of the 1x6 "LL928" bricks and the 2x4 Classic Space logo tile. Hopefully, the remaining requirements are not too difficult to source. Does anyone better at this kind of thing than I have any thoughts or insights?
    pxchris560Heliport
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,307

I've also decided that I am going to have to buy two sets, so that I can build at least one of the other ships at the same time (924 & 918). From a very quick peruse, it looks like you would need 3 sets to build all three at the same time, but it will be interesting to see, given two sets, how many additional bricks would be required from B&P / BrickLink to build the third model.
    At an absolute minimum, I am guessing you'd need an extra couple of the 1x6 "LL928" bricks and the 2x4 Classic Space logo tile. Hopefully, the remaining requirements are not too difficult to source. Does anyone better at this kind of thing than I have any thoughts or insights?
    Just buy three! It'll be cheaper and easier in the long run. 
    andhe560HeliportlowleadJudgeChuck
  • lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 470
    If this set is a wide release, I'll have a hard time not tossing one into the cart as I wheel past in Target or WalMart every trip...
    Apples
    Paper towels
    Half n' Half
    Galaxy Explorer
    560HeliportandheJudgeChuckpxchris