Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Need info on set 700/3 A from 1954

DefectfreewareDefectfreeware DenmarkMember Posts: 8
Hey i really hope someone in here can help me.
I got my hands on a lego set 700/3 A from 1953 or 54.
The box looks good (for 70 year old cardboard) and the lego bricks are as new but have been mix with one or two other sets.
But i can not find any pics or info on what bricks should be in the box.

Some of the questions i have it i hope someone in here can help me with:

Can the 10x20 plade be dark blue?

What colors are the bricks ? red and white???

how many windows and doors are in the set?

are the windows with or without glass?

Parts count? 96 ???

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,479
    Defectfreeware
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 553
    I've been away the last few days, so I just saw this.  Istokg is the real expect, but I'll answer what I can.  I'll need to be brief for now, but will expand on it more later today or tomorrow.

The short version is the answers to your questions are far more complicated than you realize.  The 700 series are the most convoluted and complicated series of sets to understand.  An exact inventory does not exist due to the high number of variations.  The 96 piece count is from the Swiss canister, which is a different set from this (although they have the same set number).  The colors of bricks and types of windows depend on the year.

I have more to add, but not the time to write at moment.  I'll hopefully be able to expand on this tonight or tomorrow.
    560Heliportjason1976madforLEGODefectfreeware
    These are guidelines, not absolutes.  There are no absolutes when it comes to early sets.  This style of box was sold 1953-1955.  The year matters.  There's a big difference between whether this is a 1953, 1954 or 1955 set.

Let's start with the bricks.  The bricks would all be ABB bricks, hollow bottoms with slots.  You are likely to see a mix of block letter and barbell logos on the undersides or a mix of barbell logo underneath and stud logos. The barbell logo started in 1954, but block letter bricks would still be being used in sets after 1954.  Logos on the studs became the standard in 1955 with a period of mixed underside barbell logos. 

If this were a 1953 set the bricks would come in four colors:  Red, white, yellow and green (sometimes blue).  If it were a 1954 or 1955 set the colors would be red and white with a few clear elements.  These would all be arranged in a checker board pattern.  Some catalog photos show what looks to be 36 2x4 bricks on one side of the box arranged as 12x24 studs.  There is an equivalent arrangement on the other made of 1x2, 2x2, 2x3 and 2x4 bricks. 2x8 and 2x10 bricks may have been included in later versions.

To the best of my knowledge all 700/3A came with windows and doors.  The 1953 version would have come with ABB style windows and doors.  These are small pieces without glass and fit in the slots of ABB bricks.  There are 3 types of windows, 4, 6 and 8 panels and 1 type of door.  Tall winged windows replaced ABB style in 1954.  I believe these all came with glass, but I might be wrong.  I have no idea on how many came with the set.  ABB windows are generally mixed colors.  I've seen mix of colors or single color with the tall winged windows.

This type of 700/3A set would have come with a single 10x20 thick base plate.  There were a number of different colors this base plate came in.  Dark blue was less common, but a known color.  The logo type and location may help narrow the range.  Later version of the base plate could help exclude earlier versions of 700/3A.  However you can't use earlier version of the base plate to exclude later versions of the set.
    madforLEGODefectfreewarejason1976
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,326
    edited June 22
    Thanks @LusiferSam, you saved me a lot of explaining.  It's bedtime here in the USA, so I'll have to answer tomorrow... but I'll post this Danish LEGO retailer sheet image announcing the introductory of 700/3A...

Like everything that TLG does... it becomes maddening.  The 2x8 and 2x10 bricks, as well as the 10x20 thick baseplates as shown as new items... were introduced in 1953, as announced in this sheet.  However, the 700/3A set was not introduced until 1954.  And also... I wish I had this box above... because it is a prototype... all the known 700/3A sets have the built models on the left side of the box top, and not on the right side as seen here.

Much more info to come tomorrow (today)....

The_RancormadforLEGODefectfreewarejason1976
  • DefectfreewareDefectfreeware DenmarkMember Posts: 8
    Here are some pics of the bricks 
    and the papers 

OldTownBricksrd1899jason1976
    I found the set in a old house i was cleaning after the owner died.
    The set/box was in a stable and was full of bricks, in the attic was a wooden box with the 10x20 plade and a lot of bricks and the 1210 building instructions.
    Some of the 1x2 and all the 1x1 bricks have the lego logo on top.

If more pics can help just tell me what you want pics of and i uploade them.
    90% of the bricks have the dogbone lego logo.
    @Istokg will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think those short winged windows go this set.  My understanding is 700/1, 700/2, 700/3 and 700/3A came with tall winged windows, not short.  I don't think you'd see a mix of ABB windows and winged windows, but can't say for sure.  Those winged windows are more likely to be a #1230 parts pack given that you have a full set.

I'm also not sure about the 1x1 bricks. I don't think those came in any 700 series sets until later.  Late 50s or early 60s I believe.  They are far more likely to go with #1210. The 1x2 with the logo on studs likely go to #1210 as well.  That set is from 1955 and more consistent with the logo being on the studs and the move away from slotted bricks.

The rest of the bricks and the 10x20 plate look to be consistent with a 1954 version of 700/3A
    DefectfreewaremadforLEGO
    edited June 23
    @Defectfreeware, thanks for posting the additional photos, that narrows it down... you have a late 1954 Danish 700/3A set.

Here is what a 1953 700/3A set would look like (from a retailer LEGO catalog)... it would have 4 colors of bricks, and all Automatic Binding Bricks windows/door...

Here is what an early 1954 700/3A set would look like with 3 colors of bricks, and a mix of ABB older windows, and newer (no stud or glass) classic window.  Your set dates to circa mid 1954, when the number of LEGO brick colors went from 3 to 2 colors (plus 2 clear 2x4 bricks). 

What I would do, is count all the bricks in this box (by size)... add them up... this is the total count that you will need.

51 2x4 bricks
    24 2x2 bricks
    9 2x3 bricks
    9 1x2 bricks

This should be the count for your set (keeping all the windows/doors)...

51 2x4 bricks... 2 clear, 25 red, 24 white
    24 2x2 bricks... 12 red, 12 white
    9 2x3 bricks..... 4 red, 5 white
    9 1x2 bricks..... 4 red, 5 white (replace one of the 1x2 white bricks with 2 1x1 white)

Re-checkerboard your set with 4x4 stud checkerboard squares on the left, and 2x4 checkerboard squares on the right.  Use the 2 clear 2x4 bricks to make one of the corner (4x4) checkerboard squares on lower left corner.

It looks like you will have to buy some slotted LEGO bricks from Bricklink...

You should be able to find whatever missing red or white slotted bricks you need there under the classic brick heading...

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catString=423
    DefectfreewaremadforLEGO
    edited June 23
    Oh... and that 1955 Byggebok... the very first LEGO Ideas Book.  It was not originally part of the 700/3A set, and if you sold that separately, you could get 50-120 Euros for that alone.

Even the 1210 Small Store instructions would probably get you 15-30 Euros.  Here's the very small box it comes in.

All my images are from my 2800 page Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide computer desktop digital download!  
    DefectfreewaremadforLEGOWesterBricks
    So something like this?

Not that im going to sell it right away, but what are the value of a set like this?
    @Defectfreeware... Hi, sorry to take so long, so much going on (LEGO wise) at the moment.  Your checkerboarding is outstanding!  If you have an extra 2x4 red slotted brick, I would remove the lowest row of 2x4 bricks on the right side, push everything else down... and make a new row of three 2x4 bricks at the top with two red and one white 2x4 bricks... to make it a perfect checkerboard.  If you don't have the extra red brick (and remove one 2x4 white brick), then don't worry.

As to the value of your set... well 1954 was the 1st year for the 700/3A sets, and those LEGO Mursten boxes of that type are highly collectible by old time LEGO collectors.  So I would place a value of about 300 Euros+ on your set... depending on how many people are bidding on this set if you placed it at auction.  The box is in good enough condition, that it would have a lot of interest if it were put up for auction.
    pxchrisDefectfreewaremadforLEGOWesterBricks
    Nice im not going to sell it of the next 30 year and to that time its a 100 year old lego set :)
    Im just happy to have the set more or less complete, is a real pearl in my lego collection and i think i have enough bricks to build the 1210 set too.
    Thanks a lot you guys
    Switchfoot55pxchrisWesterBricks