Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

"Shirtless" Darth Maul Minifigure

Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
edited March 2012 in Collecting
this past friday on the Clone Wars, Maul made his return, as a Half Sith/Half Spider thing, and his top half was shirtless, so if Lego does a set, they allready got a shirtless Maul torso sittin around...which was most likly the reason in the first place for the polybagged shirtless Mauls....since sets are designed, built, ect. months to a year in advance, id say, the shirtless torsos were made for a future set including Spider/Mual, and Lego said hey , toss some black legs on him, give him a saber, and throw them in a Polybag, and we can give them away in NY.

Comments

• samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,374
    John,
    I fully expect LEGO to re-release these later in this year at future promotions. Just like they did with Chrome Darth Vader, White Boba Fett, etc.. These types of figures will become available some time later in the year, whether it is by online promotion, or at SDCC. LEGO has a way of releasing just a few of these at first (high value), then completely sinking the market by releasing vast amounts of them.
    Cheers,
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    oh i totaly expect to see more of the pollybagged ones as well,im saying just dont be suprized if a future set has SpiderMual shirtless in it.
    John,
    I wouldn't say that. LEGO usually doesn't release their polybags in future sets. Again, looking at Chrome Darth Vader, White Boba Fett, Chrome C-3PO, etc.. The polybags are "special releases" in that they are not available in a set, but certainly not in the amount they are produced.
    Cheers,
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 4,998
    @Jonn420 - Please use proper grammar and punctuation as your posts are very difficult to read. As for your theory, I think it's certainly possible.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 672
    "Spider Maul", while completely stupid, is not completely unforeseen: In the comic "Star Wars Visionaries" from several years ago, Spider Maul makes an appearance on Tatooine where he is thwarted by Obi-Wan Kenobi yet again. Since Visionaires was supposed to be a fanciful exploration of graphical concepts rather than storytelling, there is no way I would have predicted that vignette to actually become canon in the SW universe. Oh well, as long as GL gets his cut, anything goes, eh?

On topic, the minifig torso looks great, and I hope to get one someday.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    "Canon" in the Star Wars universe is really anything that will net licensing fees. It's a complete and total mess filled with contradiction after contradiction. As a result I tend to ignore it and apply the general rule of thumb from another SF&F franchise: Star Trek.

For what it's worth, I think Roddenberry and Paramount had a much better solution by stating that the TV shows and movies alone (though they also consider the novel "Pathways" by Voyager executive producer Jeri Taylor as well) to constitute canon. If it didn't appear in any of these, it isn't canon. Of course with the latest Star Trek film "rebooting" things, it does make one wonder if they consider the destruction of Romulus in the timeline of Spock Prime (ie, the Spock we all grew up on) to be canon or not. It is, after all, the result of one of the most ridiculously ignorant and nonsensical causes in the history of film. But at least the crap in novels and comic books doesn't clutter and contradict itself over and over by being canonized in Star Trek.
    Whats Star Trek? lol
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    It was a TV show that was popular up until 1977! ;-)
    Whats Star Trek? lol
    Now that's just scary..

• evileddie1313evileddie1313 Member Posts: 126
    Whats Star Trek? lol
    Now that's just scary..

True that...LMAO!

• sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I'm hoping this Darth Maul dude is handed out at Legoland's Star Wars Days at the end of the month when I'm there:
    http://california.legoland.com/en/plan/shows_and_events/star_wars_days/?month=3&year=2012

"Jedi™ Trivia - STAR WARS™ fans will have their Jedi™ knowledge put to the test. Use the Force to answer correctly and win a Darth Maul Minifigure. While supplies last."
    lol, i know star trek, it was just a Poke at Prof1515 who is obviously a trekker...lol...i happen to be a huge Star Wars geek.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    ^^ Sounds like a strong possibility @sidersdd. I wonder if there'll be a similar giveaway at the LLW star wars days?
    Looks like this guy might not be as uber exclusive. A Bricklink store has 10 of them listed for US$29.99.
    http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Honzik&itemID=31721791
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^ not any more!
    I thought about buying them up and reselling for $150-$200 each, but figured these must be on the verge of becoming widely available (e.g., next week at Legoland), and with my luck it'd take a month to ship from the Czech Republic and by then they'd be worth $10 each. It'll be interesting to see what happens here.
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    i had to buy one for myself ;) went for 200 USD on ebay.com....now 29 USD....even if it goes down to 10 USD...I do not mind, now i have it!
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    edited March 2012
    ^^ all gone. Certainly popular at that price!
    edited March 2012
    They are starting to pop up on eBay as well at slight lower prices in mass quantity. It's the White Boba fett all over again, $300 one day, $25 the next.
    Anyone have the BL# for this figure?
    Cheers,
    i had to buy one for myself ;) went for 200 USD on ebay.com....now 29 USD....even if it goes down to 10 USD...I do not mind, now i have it!
    I agree. If I really wanted this for myself I wouldn't mind the 29 to 10 difference, should that happen. I have no interest in this fig really though, except in ways that it may be used to help fund the rest of my LEGO hobby.

Bricklink page for the fig is:
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=6005188-1
    @sidersdd- Thanks for the link. I'll be watching it!
    Apparently eBay users still think this is an incredibly rare item, easy to flip and make a few hundred if BL ships them fast enough! http://www.ebay.com/itm/180851065850?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_517wt_698
  • morbiczermorbiczer Member Posts: 50
    Apparently eBay users still think this is an incredibly rare item, easy to flip and make a few hundred if BL ships them fast enough! http://www.ebay.com/itm/180851065850?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_517wt_698
    It says "6 available/8 sold", so the plan seems to have worked.
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    guy seems to have more in stock now.
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    also a german shop sold two this morning for 60 USD each....
    It says "6 available/8 sold", so the plan seems to have worked.
    For him at least, I'm wanting to see if I can get in on the action ;-)
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291
    Damn, damn, damn, damn, DAMN!

I just bought one of these things for £65. The part of my brain that suffered during a misspent youth said "that's going to be worth loads someday".

Think I'll ever see my money back?

:(
    Was this figure given out at the Legoland California event in the end??
    edited April 2012
    @spacecake - you should have looked in the marketplace as I am selling one for £60.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,426
    There's one on ebay for £99... no bids so far...
    @spacecake - you should have looked in the marketplace as I am selling one for £60.
    I only discovered this wonderful forum 2 hours ago! Bummer!
    There's one on ebay for £99... no bids so far...
    Yep, looks like it could be a stinker. I will admit I was expecting a wait of a good year or so before I saw any return on my (apparently foolish) investment!
    so long as they don't give them out on any other promotion you might be ok. Probably won't increase much in value but probably won't lose too much either. Either way its a nice figure to have in a collection.
    Not at Legoland that I saw. That's not to say it won't be a giveaway in the future. Then again, maybe it truly is rare. The dude selling them for US$30 may have come upon the "leftover" box. My bet is on it being another giveaway in the future.
    so long as they don't give them out on any other promotion you might be ok. Probably won't increase much in value but probably won't lose too much either. Either way its a nice figure to have in a collection.
    Thanks for the info! I guess the plus side is that I wasn't the chap who paid $200 for one!

"There's always a bigger fish."

;D
    @SpaceCake- To the link above, that's also worldwide shipping, so keep that in mind. UK shipping only and you probably won't get as much.
    Personally if I was you, I'd probably be looking to sell it now for a little more than what you bought it, and then buy it again later in a few months when it gets cheaper. I'm a huge minifigure collector, and judging from past promo figures (White Boba, ARF trooper, Chrome Darth Vader), they are re-released at more than one point, sinking their value. Then they steadily begin to climb back, but it takes time.
    @SpaceCake- To the link above, that's also worldwide shipping, so keep that in mind. UK shipping only and you probably won't get as much.
    Personally if I was you, I'd probably be looking to sell it now for a little more than what you bought it, and then buy it again later in a few months when it gets cheaper. I'm a huge minifigure collector, and judging from past promo figures (White Boba, ARF trooper, Chrome Darth Vader), they are re-released at more than one point, sinking their value. Then they steadily begin to climb back, but it takes time.
    First class advice. This is what I came here to learn!

Thanks fella!
  • AnseltheCatAnseltheCat Member Posts: 141
    These seem to have come down in price on eBay somewhat since they have been available from LEGOLAND. I would have liked to make a visit to LEGOLAND myself but that is not likely to happen for a few months and so I just made an offer for one which was accepted at £25.