Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Do you like LEGO gear / accessories?

Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 415
Thought this deserves it's own topic.
TLG is producing a lot of stuff that's not meant to build something but to enrich (well, hopefully) your life in other ways. On Bricklink they are known as gear, I believe Brickset has no special category for it.
I'm very fond of those products and no visit to a LEGO store goes without looking for new items in this category. Below are my favourite notebook (outside & inside) and a school supply set (#5005969). Wish I had those when I was a kid! Luckily the kid in me is still alive :-)

Do you like 'gear' items slash accessories? And what is your favourite?

Comments

• lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 470
    Here & there, yes & no....
    The LEGO blueprint was gifted to me, and I had the aluminum frame custom made with the four separate colors.  The mug and blueberry pie is self-explanatory =oD
    Brickfan50MarshallmarioAstrobricksSwitchfoot55catwrangler
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 415
    lowlead said:
    Here & there, yes & no....

The LEGO blueprint was gifted to me, and I had the aluminum frame custom made with the four separate colors.  The mug and blueberry pie is self-explanatory =oD
    The frame looks like an investment. Well done!
    I guess the blueberry pie was made by someone in your household? Otherwise I would like to know the part number of the pie so I can order it on LEGO.com. :-)

Switchfoot55BooTheMightyHamstercatwrangler
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,080
    I have "life-size" red minifigure cup that I use when camping- it holds 8 ounces, so it serves as a measuring cup.
    I like the idea of the large storage "bricks", but at $39.99 for the 8-stud version, that's far too expensive for me. 
    Bumblepants
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 2,123
    I like the idea of the large storage "bricks", but at $39.99 for the 8-stud version, that's far too expensive for me. 
    I local TKMaxx went through a phase of having them at silly cheap prices. Was picking up 2x4s for under £10. Got four and a few 1x1 and 2x2 as well.
    560Heliportandhe
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 647
    I have "life-size" red minifigure cup that I use when camping- it holds 8 ounces, so it serves as a measuring cup.
    I got some 2x4's about a month ago in Home Goods for 19.99.  They had the 2x2's for 14.99.  I've also seen them at random times in Marshall's & TJMaxx, same company, same prices.
    Astrobricks
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,307
    edited June 13
    I've got a few LEGO pencils and a LEGO store display sign, but I try to keep the LEGO branded tat out of my house. We have enough LEGO bricks around as it is, I don't need LEGO branded items for every day use.

A lot of the tat is made by other companies and LEGO licenses their logo or other artwork almost without caring about their brand image. Some of the items are really bad quality. My son had a LEGO Batman towel a while back. The design (print?) started fading after the first wash and after maybe four or five washes it just fell apart as it was so thin. He has also had LEGO branded rubbers / erasers given to him that don't remove pencil marks, but just smear them.

catwrangler
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,295
    I have that mug too but almost never use it because it isn't as large as other mugs I have.
    560Heliport
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,237
    My youngest son uses Lego drinking flasks, and we have Lego salt and pepper bricks. Apart from that... not really.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,163
    edited June 17
    MaffyD said:
    My youngest son uses Lego drinking flasks, and we have Lego salt and pepper bricks. Apart from that... not really.
    Good way to hide his whiskey ;-)

(PS, not an endorsement)
    MaffyDMarshallmarioKungFuKenny
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,549
    As ever, @Istokg arrives with some fascinating Lego history! I just wanted to add my thanks for this.
    KungFuKennypxchrisBrickfan50Istokg
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,702
    Istokg FTW again! 

I'd be curious if anyone from LEGO has ever reached out to you to discuss your book and historical insights?
    KungFuKenny560HeliportpxchrisMarshallmario
    I wonder if any kid ever had enough bricks to build that ridiculous impractical bridge over the canal. 
    560Heliport
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,307
    Istokg FTW again! 

I'd be curious if anyone from LEGO has ever reached out to you to discuss your book and historical insights?
    I think it was picked up by a publisher but only for the Chinese market.
  • RedronnieRedronnie London Member Posts: 12
    I have a lego fridge magnet, I like to mix up different minifigures every few weeks
    Brickfan50
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,326
    edited June 27
    Istokg FTW again! 

Yes and no... I have been in contact with folks at the LEGO Archive/Collections off and on since 2006, and it has been a 2 way street.  They have helped me out (mostly), and I them.

They have a copy of my 2800 page digital download (Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide), and I've had many discussion with them over the years, but not much in recent years, because of the fact that I have pretty much finished the early years (1949-80), and am working on the years 2011-present right now, so there is little to get from them at the moment.

There are some things I have found out from the folks at the LEGO Archives/Collections, and this is common with many companies in their early years.  Namely that the archival information is incomplete, especially before 1970.  And that is where the over 100 old time LEGO collector friends from around the world (who have given me images for my guides (more than one!).

One problem is that TLG has historically licensed out LEGO to different companies in the early years, and those licensees had not always kept TLG updated on many early sets.  This is especially true for Norway (A/S Norske LEGIO), Sweden (Geas Konstharts), and especially USA/Canada (Samsonite).

I probably have about 50 set images, that are not known to the LEGO Archives, or that they have no images of their own.  As soon as I am finished with my LEGO guide(s), with over 4000 pages, I plan on sharing rare or unknown sets with the folks at the LEGO Archives (and also Brickset).

TLG does not produce their own LEGO reference books, except as anniversary coffee table books.  Even DK Publishing (Dorothy Kinderly Publishing House), which has produced many LEGO books... they produce ONLY coffee table general books, and nothing that is actually a reference source.

Fantasia Publishing of Germany produced a reference book (with help from the LEGO Archives) called "LEGO Collector's Guide" in English/German back in 2008 and an updated guide (errors in the first edition) in 2011.  Unbeknownst to me, I was a contributor to the 2008 version (some contributors used my digital download guide as a reference), but I was credited at least.  For the 2011 version, the Fantasia folks asked me directly about some issues of items missing from the 2008 version, and I gave them information that they asked for.  However, they decided to use incomplete info from the LEGO Archives, and giving them proof that I was correct didn't seem to change their minds.  Also, even their 2011 updated version of their collectors guide is missing many early sets, and a lot of info in more modern sets (such as where they were sold) is not complete.

Once I finish my ever growing (including many early sets that no one knew existed!) guide(s), I will contact the LEGO folks and talk about doing a collaboration, but I am not optimistic on that.  They have been very helpful, so I don't wish to say anything disparaging about TLG, but (and this is common to many collectibles) the information and items they have are not complete.  I am still working to correct that.  😉

560HeliportpxchrisdatsunrobbiemadforLEGOSwitchfoot55vizzitormessycatwranglerBrickfan50
  • lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 470
    ^^ THAT...is kewwwwl.  Congrats!
    Istokg
    Istokg said:
    Also... I just confirmed that I will be on the HISTORY CHANNEL, a USA TV station that will be doing a show on LEGO for "The Toys That Changed America" episode.  😉
    Any idea when it will air?
    Switchfoot55Fizyx
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,702
    I'd definitely be curious about the episode as well so I can shout to anyone within ear-shot, "I 'know' that guy!"

Well, regardless of TLG's involvement, I know your continuous contributions to the history of LEGO is appreciated by many and has/will prove invaluable as the hobby moves forward!
    560HeliportFizyxMarshallmario
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,331
    edited June 28
    I hope it comes over to the UK on Sky History (which is our version of the History Channel). Seems like it only puts out Forged in Fire or some kind of random Templar or Alien thing so a legit documentary sounds great!