Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Clone trooper visors

plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
edited March 2012 in Collecting
OK, so the old Episode II troopers and the Episode III troopers (as well as the old scout troopers) all have holes in their visors and a black head (or some pretty intense 'shades) behind it. I've always thought it was a little odd, so can anyone tell me why they made this decision? Plus, do you like them that way (ie, with the holes)?

Comments

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    They began with helmets having slots for visors. The very first Star Wars line-up in 1999 had Biker Scouts with helmets like this and the next year they were followed by Boba Fett. I imagine it was easier to mold and to print.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    Interesting. I'd always assumed the Stormtroopers came first, but that's true, the Biker Scouts were first.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 814
    Yeah, my guess has always been that the printing job on irregular surfaces was difficult. Printing on heads (like biker scouts) was relatively easy, but printing on their helmets would have been (presumably) harder. That's also why (again, just guessing) we didn't see stormtroopers until 2001, when (assumably) they believed they had a printing solution.

And when stormtroopers DID start getting printed, the printing wasn't great on them-- a lot of them looked like they had handlebar mustaches rather than black mouthpieces. So there's a good chance that LEGO re-thought the process for EPII clone troopers, and figured they'd keep doing hole-visors if they could.

But, again, that's just a guess.

DaveE
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    It would be hard to print under that visor/hood thing that Biker Scouts have over their eyes, that's true.