Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Why no more monorail?

124»

Comments

• SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I'm too young to experience the Monorail love, they do look great, but I think the Trains have stolen then thunder ( I know trains were out then, but these are so much more advanced)
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    I always assumed that what we refer to as Lego monorail (which technically isn't a monorail either) was supposed to look like a maglev train?
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 672
    mressin said:

I always assumed that what we refer to as Lego monorail (which technically isn't a monorail either) was supposed to look like a maglev train?

Back in the 80's when #6990 was released, I'd never heard of mag-lev, but taking a 2013 look at the monorail sets, I could easily envision the train as a more futuristic technology than a Disneyworld ride...I'll forgive TLG for not manufacturing a true mag-lev set for a child's toy!

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    ^ would be an interesting project though - I wonder if the new mindstorms lets you switch electromagnets on and off - if so it could be possible.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    There is a unpowered maglev Moc out there but it doesnt do corners. With the powerful small magnets you can get now it's easy to do. But of course it's not that impressive. Still I had to replicate it and that hover feeling and frictionless momentum is pretty cool.