Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Photoshopped Box Art, re: 'improving' the figs. Misleading or not?

legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
edited March 2012 in Collecting
Hey guys and gals,

I've just picked up the new Super Heroes Lex Luthor set (superman, wonder woman), and couldn't help but feel a little cheated that Wonder woman does not have the blue eye-liner as shown on the box 'photo' (and also on a few other shots too).

Now, I totally understand the desire to present each set in the best possible light, and i'll happily look past the 'special effects', cos' obviously we all know that a set does not have an exploding planet in it, and its nice to see 'action' shots. I will even let them off with misaligned printing or wishy-washy almost transparent colour, cos' I'm an easy going guy and realise that printing these things is tricky without a white base coat.

And I can even turn a blind eye to the 'brushing up', such as shiney polished surfaces. BUT adding features which aren't actually there? Come on, I call foul. *shakes head* that is just not on.

I want, nay DEMAND, my wonder woman in all her glamourous glory! :o)

If the photo shows her with blue make-up, the fig should have blue make-up. By the Gods!

I also noticed that the image on the box art shows her collar bones (or whatever) are a muted colour, to indicate flesh/shadow, but the model has a deep black line instead.

Is this a first by LEGO to so clearly alter the fig on the box, or do they have form? What do other people think.

The stupid thing is, if the model had been photographed more honestly, i'd probably not be too bothered - it's a jolly nice fig (could do with printed wrists) - but it's the principle of being promised what isn't there that I find irks the most, and it sets an expectation level for the product that the product doesn't deliver on.

Comments

• yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Could you post a picture? Or are you just looking at your box? I don't think I saved my box so I can't check, and I can't see clearly enough if there is blue eyeliner on online images.

But if what your saying is right, then I'm with you. Figures and bricks should not be altered, but I understand the action shots and backgrounds.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    You can see it in the alternate images on the brickset page for it in the picture of wonder woman and lasso and if you look at the "minifigs" tab image of WW you can see it isnt there. I can't tell if it is there or not in the image of the minifigs on the box though and that would be the one I would think should reflect the actual minifig. The art on the box is definitely something that could be different with the way LEGO advertises LEGOs now with the animation and poses that minifigs can't really do.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617

I'm not sure this is a Photoshop issue as much as it is a prototype vs. production issue. There's also a black line missing from the edge of her pants. I agree, they should be using the production version in the artwork, especially if its as differetn as this.