Categories: Marketplace vs Shopping vs Buying and Selling

prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
edited March 2012 in Forum Operation
What's the prevailing thought on posting information regarding the availability of discontinued sets, some by more than a year, on the forums? I'm not talking sales and discounted items, just old stock of sets otherwise not available any more. Is it preferred in the marketplace or in the specific regional categories?

I've encountered quite a few sets for sale from various places, mostly online, at and even below MSRP. Most are not of interest to myself but they might be to others. However, I don't really want to clog up the marketplace with stuff I'm not actually selling and have no interest in (after all, if I don't have interest in it and those sets have been discontinued for a while, I have no basis for assuming that they're discontinued lackluster sets that aren't available all over).

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The various shopping forums make more sense, in my view... but that is just my opinion...
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    @prof1515, I can see information regarding where to get retired sets being of significant interest to some folks; per LFT's comment, I'd suggest posting it in the relevant "Shopping..." category (I assume "Shopping USA/Canada" in your case)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    As I see it...

If you see a good deal, post it in the relevant Shopping category.
    If you want to sell/trade something, post it in the Marketplace category.
    If you want to discuss a particular vendor or general buying/selling topics, post it in the Buying and Selling category.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    They'll actually ship worldwide, not just within the U.S.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I have 'shopping US' switched off in my view so have no idea what youre talking about. could you just copy and paste it here for now?
    That was actually my concern with just posting it in the USA/Canada forum. WIll post here as well. :-)
    edited March 2012
    Removed by YC (Off Topic)
    If it's a US site, then it should indeed be categorized as Shopping USA/Canada. Many online businesses ship to other countries including B&N in the U.S. If Forum Members want to disregard these other shopping regions, then they'll simply miss out on those opportuntities. Muddying up this legitimate Forum topic with transient sales data is not a solution. As such, I've removed it.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    I would add that as the "collectability" of the item increases, the stronger the case it is for a cross post (or duplicate post) in the Collecting forum.

For example, in 2002, LEGO employee Jake McKee posted on LUGNet that a stash of 8880 Super Cars from 1994 were found in the warehouse and were available for purchase. http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=5245

I'd definitely put that in "Collecting", as well as "Shopping"... after I secured my two copies :P

Ha