Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Games

legos4everlegos4ever Member Posts: 45
edited March 2012 in Collecting
Sorry if there is already a discussion for this but I didn't see one. Anyways, the Lego games. Hit or miss? I personally like creationary and city alarm, I love those neat micro figures in city form. But are there any other Lego games worth buying?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,651
    We've got Ramses Pyramid, Ramses Return, Minotaurus and Frog Rush. All get played, although we probably play Pyramid and Minotaurus more than the others. Unless the parts are in a MOC, of course!
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    In our house, 2 adults and one 7-year-old who doesn't like to lose, the best games have been LEGO Champion and Oriental Bazaar. I think Lava Dragon is quite good and the Race one isn't bad. Meteor Strike and Creationary were both too advanced for our daughter but look decent.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,430
    Minotaurus is fun, but needs some changing to make it more of a challenge when playing with adults, but the original game is great fun for the intended age. Lava dragon is fairly basic, as is robo-champ, but again, fine for the intended age. I have the ninjago one, but haven't played it yet. Heroica is also great fun for those into fantasy stuff, and easy to add to.
    I've played creationary but the basic game is a bit dull for those not building, and frustrating for those building if people guess before you finish! We played everyone had a card and it was a race to build a recognisable model first! Much more involved and fun for all.
  • legos4everlegos4ever Member Posts: 45
    ^ Good idea :)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Sheep shaving is great with little ones. Not much you can play with a 3 and 5 year old but that game works great.

Just got ramses pyramid, minataurs, harry potter and hoth battle but not played those yet.
  • legirllegirl Member Posts: 105
    ^ shave a sheep was a hit this christmas with my cousin's 5 and 8 year old.....and with myself and my cousin! brilliant and funny
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,021
    @legos4ever - While there are several discussions already for individual games, I also see no collective overview of the Games in their entirety. IMO, the games are better discussed on their own individual merits as this thread is tantamount to "LEGO Video Games: Hit or Miss?" which would, of course, be absurd to try and discuss on such a macro level.
    Some good prices too. Ramses was £7, minotaurs was £9, harry potter £12 and hoth full price (but I couldn't resist!).
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    I was really interested to see this thread as to date I've not bought any of them and was wondering which one to start with for a 5 year old! It sounds like Shave-a-Sheep might be the winner.

@Cheshirecat Where are those prices from?

Also can anyone tell me which, if any, of the games include a die/dice that has the traditional dots for numbers on all six sides?

^ hogwarts tesco direct but ive seen it elsewhere at that price too (JL?), minataurus [email protected], and ramses at WHS (including a 5£ discount code)
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    ^^ I don't think any of them have a regular die.
  • WildWillWildWill Member Posts: 1
    I really enjoy the two sets I purchased at a deep discount after Christmas at Target. I wouldn't think of paying full retail for them though.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    ^ Yeah, same. I grabbed the core Heroica set for $15 and I feel it's worth that. For $30, I would never consider it.
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    Personally I don't recall ever being that skeptical about the Games sets. I watched a documentary on TV about the Lego Mega Factory and it said something along the lines of the Game's dice being the most expensive mould they've had to create. Making new pieces can get ridiculously expensive without us even realising it.

During Christmas I managed to pick up the two mid priced Heroica sets for half price in Canada. I've built them and gotten to closely examine the finer details of the microfigures. There really isn't anyone in my family who'd humour me long enough to play the game with me. Piece wise, I'd call the Games sets some of the best MOC worthy material when offered on clearance... simply because of all the flat-elongated plates they include.
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    Pirate Plank is a firm favourite with my children. For some reason, the die always seems to be weighted in favour of children so I always lose...
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,430
    @Cam_n_Stu the only game that comes with all numbers is the new city alarm (I don't have it, but bricklink told me so) or a promotional polybag (with a gold dice! If anyone has a spare, let me know ;D).

Remembered I've also played Shave a sheep which got very tactical. As it seems with all the lego games, the rules aren't always clear at first glance and need a bit of playing through and tweaking to make for a satisfying game (young or old).
  • wRuBwRuB Member Posts: 86
    Shave Sheep is brilliant for a 4 year old. My son got it for Xmas when he was 3+ and loved the game. Simple and yet requires tactics. Also, rules can be changed to make it easier or more difficult to win.

We've also got Heroica and have played the smallest set. (Draida?) It's ok but rules need some amendment/adapting to determine winner.

Also just played Sunblock. Also great for a 5 yo except but fiddley with the smaller pieces.
  • avoiceoreasonavoiceoreason Member Posts: 224
    Thanks to the OP for the thread. I was thinking of starting a similar one myself.

Our favorites:
    1) Race 3000 - if you make it 3 laps around instead of just 1 it makes the game way more fun

2) Meteor Strike - easy enough for a 4 or 5 year old, but the older kids like it as well

3) Harry Potter - more strategy than the above two, so geared for a little older crowd

Those we would pass on:

1) Lava Dragon - basic and kind of a yawn - it got dumped into our parts bin

2) Robo Champ - though fun for the 3-5 year old crowd perhaps (which is likely the intended audience

3) Magikus - just a game of pure luck really

4) Ramses Pyramid - maybe we just haven't played it enough but hasn't really grabbed us yet (but that's a chicken and egg thing I suppose)

I look forward to hearing others' picks and pans.

@yellowcastle - maybe the title should be amended to ... well ... "Lego Games Picks and Pans" instead of the more general "hit or miss" that the OP wrote as I think the former better describes the information he was seeking.