Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Found a Basic Building Set-337-is it rare?

auntcarrie4auntcarrie4 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2012 in Collecting
Today on our thrift store adventures we found a Basic Building Set-337-with all unopened, original packaging. We have tried to search to see if its rare, but to no avail. Any idea?

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    hard to say, but seems maybe so?

none currently for sale on bricklink, and just one sold in the past 6 months:
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=337-1
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    Wow, I'd say its pretty rare since its very old and still new.
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    edited March 2012
    I would say that it's rare in the fact that there won't be many unopened in the world but the parts themselves are not at all rare, so I imagine it's not valuable. 'Rare' does not always equal 'valuable'.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    ^ Yeah, such is the conundrum when it comes to collecting and those old Basic sets. I've loosely been monitoring sales of sealed/new sets and they're quite lower than I thought stuff of that age would sell for.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,270
    Just did the last review of the chapter on 1980s Basic Sets for my LEGO Collectors Guide...
    1) it's a 3xx set... which means it's meant for 3-5 year olds... boring parts... the windows and doors are all 2 studs thick.
    2) it doesn't really have eye appeal, the box looks just OK.
    3) it doesn't build any models... model sets are always more collectible than basic sets... at least since 1965.

As was stated rarity does not equate to value... usually most basic sets were opened up and their parts dumped into the collection and the box thrown away. But that still doesn't make it all that desirable from a collectible view.... :-(
  • jocappyjocappy Member Posts: 207
    ^ fact
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^^ Sir. We salute you... but what took you so long to respond? :)
  • auntcarrie4auntcarrie4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your responses. Appreciated!