Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Tram from 8404 to monorail or motorise with PF?

zumazuma Member Posts: 17
edited March 2012 in Building and Techniques
Hi,
I wondering with the tram as to which would be better and leave the tram still looking nicely tram-like and functioning well and seeking advice:
Use a monorail base and motor and use on a monorail tracks.
Motorise with PF and run on train tracks.

Would changing the layout require substantially, and has anyone done both and found and issues?
Thanks

Comments

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I've done the PF on the tram - the central section needs a full rebuild and needs to be slightly longer - I've seen a build on the web that got it to 4 studs extra, and I got mine down to 2 studs extra. Looks great with the lights, and moves REALLY fast as it's so light.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,845
    Will the 8404, built the way it is out of the box, work with the new 'narrow' gauge track that resides in the temple of doom/funhouse sets, and soon to be mining set due out? Wondering if I can motorize it without changing its 'gauge'. Because I think for that the 'narrow' gauge track will be a straight piece in the mining set. (but not certain of this)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    no, its standard gauge
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,845
    Thanks.
    In which case I have a use for all of that old 80's train track.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,904
    Will the 8404, built the way it is out of the box, work with the new 'narrow' gauge track that resides in the temple of doom/funhouse sets, and soon to be mining set due out? Wondering if I can motorize it without changing its 'gauge'. Because I think for that the 'narrow' gauge track will be a straight piece in the mining set. (but not certain of this)
    If Lego ever decided to build a rollercoaster - that narrow gauge track with vertical curves would be awesome to use.