Thank you for participating in the pilot of these forums. As I've said elsewhere, the forum software we're using here is completely different to that which you'll be used to at EB, FBTB etc. It's called Vanilla Forums and you can find out more at http://www.vanillaforums.org/
. We're using the supplier's hosted solution and the code doesn't actually run on the Brickset servers at all: it's just made to look like it does.
Here's some of the cool things you can do here:
- Easily see which discussions have new messages in them as soon as you enter
- Keep track of your own activity (click on your name above) and what others are doing (click on Activity above)
- Never lose your work: the system automatically saves drafts while you type
- Attach images and other documents to your posts
- Edit your messages for 5 minutes after posting
- Have private conversations with other members (click on Inbox above)
- Sign in with your Twitter or Facebook account
- Set up email notifications (click on your name above, then 'My preferences')
Some of the the things you can't do here:
- You can't append huge, distracting signature blocks to your messages
- You can't insert emoticons into your messages
- You can't tell who's a newbie and who's a veteran: all members have equal 'ranking'.
The purpose of the beta is to:
- Determine if this forum software is suitable for the job, once its used by loads of people
- Find out if hosting it away from the Brickset servers works seamlessly.
- Ascertain whether having a Brickset forum adds value to the main site
- Find out whether having to log in separately to the forum is a problem, or thought to be
- Gather your feedback on it and its usefulness before deciding whether to go live with it.
The beta period will last for as long as needed for us to decide to go ahead.
So, please use this category, 'The Forum', to let us know what you like an what you don't.(edited 2/Apr/11 by Huw following annoucement at Brickset)