Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

36 projects qualify for third 2021 Ideas review

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 5,533
edited January 13 in Brickset.com articles
36 projects qualify for third 2021 Ideas review

Earlier this week LEGO announced that 36 Ideas projects achieved the requisite 10,000 supporters between September 2021 and 10th January 2022 so will be considered in the third 2021 review, the results of which will be announced in the summer.

As usual there's a mix of those that don't stand a hope in hell of passing and some which are in with a chance. Take a look at them all after the break and let us know in the comments which you think is which.

We are still awaiting the results of the second 2021 review, which will most likely be announced in February, and also the release of products that passed in earlier reviews:

Continue reading »

© 2022 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Comments

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,840
    This group actually has several projects I’d like to see released.
    * Terrariums
    * Solar System (orrery)
    * Webb telescope
    * Record Store
    * Soyuz
    * Stargate
    * SR71

Of those, I’d guess only Webb has a decent chance (assuming the actual telescope is successfully working when Lego make their decision).
    560Heliport
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,704
    This group actually has several projects I’d like to see released.
    Interesting - I was actually surprised how few of the 36 projects I liked.

We seem to be settling into a painfully predictable and increasingly dull repeating pattern of subject matter. Zelda? Check. Historical or current spacefaring vehicle? Check. TV show-inspired brick-built box with some minifigs in it? Check. Attractive, ambitious modular-style buildings that will never pass the review phase? Check. Etc. etc....

That said, I love the coral reef and terraria which I'd definitely buy and I'm impressed by the orrery and the Rubik's cube.
    Bumblepants560HeliportAstrobricksMr_Crossandhe
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,709
    At this point, it's a bit hard to too excited about any of the projects knowing that only 1 or 2 out of 36 will be chosen. It feels just better (for me personally) to just wait until after the results to start thinking about if I'm excited about the upcoming sets or not. I don't know the answers, but I definitely feel that the Ideas project as a whole is in need of updating.
    BumblepantssipussSwitchfoot55Mr_CrossandheMarshallmario
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,000
    That said, I love the coral reef and terraria which I'd definitely buy and I'm impressed by the orrery and the Rubik's cube.
    I find the terraria a bit samey to other sets - namely the existing plants and the Ship in a Bottle.
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,504
    I have a bit of mixed emotions about this phase, and perhaps the Ideas line as a whole, in general. There is no doubt that most/all of these sets are amazingly built, appealing to the eye, and attractive to some corner of the market. But I'm not sure many/any of them really fit at least my interpretation of what the Ideas line is all about. 

I honestly can't stand the thought of another space-themed set at this point unless Ideas launches a Space Ideas specific line. It's not that I hate the previous sets created or think they're poor designs. But It's just too much of the same. (LEGO may clearly feel otherwise based on sales...)

For me personally, I think the Rubik's Cube and the Magic Bookends feel the most "Ideas" to me. The Rubik's Cube as it's such a classic toy and seemingly a perfect object to translate into LEGO form. And the Magic Bookends as there is a growing interest in "book nook" scenes on bookshelves. 

Obviously, my opinion matters very little to LEGO and, likely, to the larger AFOL community...so perhaps I should just hold my tongue or post in the Unpopular LEGO Opinions thread. But it is what it is to me. 

The Jazz Quartet is perhaps the most excited I've been about an Ideas set in the last several reviews/approvals. With the globe a close second. I just think this round sort of misses the mark. 

BumblepantsMr_Crossandhe
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,709
    ^ I do indeed also like the look of the Bookends set and I think the Rubik's Cube is a fantastic idea.

But again, I just can't get excited about any of them.
    Switchfoot55
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,096
    I’ve never been excited by a Rubik’s Cube, no matter how ingenious the mechanism.

...but I do like some of the projects here. I would suggest that the Orrery seems fairly likely. TLG knows real-life Space is a sure thing when it comes to Ideas and it seems like so many scientists do interviews on tv with Lego NASA sets in the background. I can imagine the Orrery looking fantastic with a couple of small tweaks. Reminds me of the OG Tomb Raider film which I loved at the time too.
    Astrobricks
    I think everybody has their own particular idea of what Ideas is “supposed” to be. Certainly we all want interesting original ideas. But apparently, really original ones are getting harder to come up with, or aren’t getting the votes. Rather than wring my hands over originality, I’m just going to cheer for the projects I like, and not get too excited for anything until I see it actually approved and produced.
    560HeliportandheSwitchfoot55Marshallmario
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 912
    Agree, I like the bookends, I can see that getting made. I'd also really like to see the Soyuz (or really any non-Nasa space stuff) getting through.

As for the rest, it's hard now given that Lego seemingly are more interested in the idea  and what they can do with it rather than the execution, so you never know, maybe we'll see Zelda, or Avatar, but probably they'll end up nothing like these submissions. B99 is popular but surely we've had our fill of sitcoms for now?

Back to Zelda, it's hard to see why they haven't sorted it yet, especially with Sonic of all things getting through review. I wonder if there's something already in the works? Nintendo aren't known to be shy when it comes to licensing out their IP, and given the Mario theme is clearly doing well, it seems like a no brainer to me.
    andhe
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,704
    edited January 14
    I think everybody has their own particular idea of what Ideas is “supposed” to be. Certainly we all want interesting original ideas. But apparently, really original ones are getting harder to come up with, or aren’t getting the votes. Rather than wring my hands over originality, I’m just going to cheer for the projects I like, and not get too excited for anything until I see it actually approved and produced.
    I think that's fair. There's a lot to be said for just kicking back and focusing on celebrating the original and innovative projects, of which there are many, rather than getting irritated by all the derivative and unimaginative stuff, which I'm certainly guilty of..... 

That said, I do think LEGO could do more to better highlight the 'interesting original ideas', be that by the way it curates projects on the Ideas site, or just tweaking eligibility criteria. Alternatively, here's an idea - make the threshold for licensed projects higher than non-licensed ones, e.g. 10K for non-licensed and 20K for licensed. You could argue that licensed projects basically market themselves to some extent, so the bar should be higher.  
    560HeliportpxchrisandheSwitchfoot55Astrobricks
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,000
    B99 is popular but surely we've had our fill of sitcoms for now?

It depends on who the "we" is. AFOLs may well have had enough of them, but fans of each sitcom will want the set for their favourite show(s). The Big Bang Theory is to The Office what The Blacksmith is to Barracuda Bay.

Some people like the It's a Wonderful Life submission. But to me it is a big house based around a movie that is frequently shown at Christmas. And we've just had one of those, in Home Alone.

That said, I do think LEGO could do more to better highlight the 'interesting original ideas', be that by the way it curates projects on the Ideas site, or just tweaking eligibility criteria. Alternatively, here's an idea - make the threshold for licensed projects higher than non-licensed ones, e.g. 10K for non-licensed and 20K for licensed. You could argue that licensed projects basically market themselves to some extent, so the bar should be higher.  
    The real issue here is does LEGO think that there is an issue because too many licensed projects are getting to review? And do they want to see that number drop and so have fewer people interested in the outcomes of the IDEAS reviews?

Even some non-licensed IDEAS use keywords to behave like a license, such as Castle, or Wild West, or Classic Space, or Pirate, or use the Modular format, and these ideas are often no more creative than ideas based on a license. They are all using LEGO's past themes to market themselves just as third party licenses use the name as a draw to voters. Would there actually be a different outcome if they made it harder for things like the licensed ideas such as the Rubik's Cube or the James Webb Space Telescope or TV/movie based ideas to reach the review stage compared to the unlicensed Modulars and other large MOCs based on LEGO's past themes?
    560HeliportAstrobricks
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 945
    Coral Reef would be an amazing parts pack for me. Otherwise not too much I'd be drawn to,
    The Coral Reef looks like it has about 10000 parts, but I didn’t see a anything about the actual number. Hard to see it getting made without major downsizing.
    gratefulnat560Heliport
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 199
    Gotta say I am pulling for McDonalds! Great looking set with alot of nostalgia for me. I can still remember when the first McDonalds was opened in my hometown. Back in the day, going to McDonalds was a really big treat. Being a smaller set I would hope it would be more affordable.
    Also like the Sheriffs office...always pulling for Western!
    Switchfoot55
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 378
    I would just die and go to heaven if LEGO got the license for Asterix and Obelix.
    My all time favorite comic, which were the first 'books' that really animated me to learn to read back in 1974 because I loved the pictures so much I had to know what the text was all about.
  • Diamondback_SixDiamondback_Six USAMember Posts: 224
    Would happily shell out for Big Boy and Blackbird. Ditto the Knight Rider set and the A-Team van.

My bet is they're all DOA for that reason alone. :(