Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Pick a Brick merging with Bricks & Pieces

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 5,543
edited January 12 in Brickset.com articles
Pick a Brick merging with Bricks & Pieces

LEGO has revealed that Pick a Brick and Bricks & Pieces will be merging during the next couple of months.

Here is the necessary information about the new combined experience:

Our current Pick a Brick and Bricks & Pieces setup means that consumers aren’t aware of the two different experiences. During 2021 we’ve been running tests and meeting with different consumer groups to better understand the current consumer experience.

Based on these learnings our next step will be to create a new merged experience on LEGO.com. We’ll merge Bricks and Pieces and Pick a Brick into one front-end experience where consumers can browse our portfolio of elements in one place more easily.

Continue reading »

© 2022 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

panchox1

Comments

• lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 337
    Good article!
    My guess is the changeover will prove a welcome one - in the long run.  Meanwhile, the execution will be a bumpy road for the IT department.  While it's a great change for the consumer, I'm sure Bricklink resellers are a bit nervous. 
    Marshallmario
  • PDelahantyPDelahanty Northern CaliforniaMember Posts: 123
    Pick A Brick has so rarely had what I needed that I stopped checking it. It made no sense why these were separate, so I’m glad to see them merged. Even better news is the MUCH faster shipping times! I’ve placed 3 B&P orders since Christmas and have no idea if they’ll arrive before the end of January or into February. Getting them in a week would be great! I didn’t mind price differences between colors and didn’t see that as an issue though. I would be nice if there was a way to save a list so I don’t lose the whole order if my browser crashes…but I won’t hold my breath.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,001
    lowlead said:
    Good article!
    My guess is the changeover will prove a welcome one - in the long run.  Meanwhile, the execution will be a bumpy road for the IT department.  While it's a great change for the consumer, I'm sure Bricklink resellers are a bit nervous. 
    I think it remains to be seen whether it is good for the consumer or bad for BL sellers. It will be in the detail of how they handle it.

While it may be more obvious to the consumer how to buy the wider range at B+P and not just the crappy selection at PAB, and it also seems beneficial that they count towards GWPs, there will be downsides. There will probably be stock issues as more people know about it and order processing times will probably increase as more people use it. As for affecting BL, for basic bricks it is unlikely as LEGO charges significantly more for them than BL sellers, although some of the popular parts in specific colours might be better value direct. Printed parts also tend to be very high on LEGO, but also high on BL too unless the set has been out a long time and hits clearance. We'll have to wait and see what happens with minifigure parts, whether their Build a Mini service is the instore BAM parts, or if they take many of the minifigure parts away from PAB/B+P. Plus there is the issue of time. The processing time for B+P is currently about 4-6 weeks. Whereas for most decent BL sellers it is 1-2 days.

Hopefully the thresholds for each section will not be too high, as it will be good to combine £45 of sets plus £20 of wider selection parts and £20 of the best selling parts and get free shipping and hit £85 for a promo.

sonatine01madforLEGO
     I would be nice if there was a way to save a list so I don’t lose the whole order if my browser crashes…but I won’t hold my breath.

You can regularly save your B+P cart by "checking out" back to the cart. Then clicking on the item in the real cart and editing it to add more.

Switchfoot55
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,511
    My first reaction is not necessarily a good one. I think I'm nervous that the selection will be less or, as CCC said above, the stock issues will be greater. Hopefully it's a net positive in the end!
    madforLEGO
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 914
    Is there a way (i.e. without going into store) to get the pick-a-minifig figs via the [email protected] website?
    panchox1
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,100
    Opinion on this definitely looks mixed. While many didn’t even know what the ‘hidden’ Bricks & Pieces was and that it offers a much more useful experience than Pick a Brick on its own - the preexisting ‘secret club’ of religious B&P users are worried that more people now know about it which could impact the lead times & stock levels.

You have to bear in mind TLG has a vast element palette and only a finite amount of moulding machines. If you want this level of flexibility to buy specific parts it’s going to have caveats for a larger audience as TLG’s main focus will be its retail sets.
    Bumblepantsstlux
    ^ nope. At least, not yet. Hopefully the new Build a Mini will be (just) those parts made for instore BAM.
    bricktuary
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 658
    I'm hopeful that this will be a good change and am looking forward to trying it out later this month.  
    Marshallmario
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,712
    I think that in the long run this could be a very good development, but I am absolutely sure it's going to be a rough transition getting there.

(Just placed a B&P order yesterday... hoping I'll get another in before the change, if those pesky squirrels come in stock).
    Switchfoot55Marshallmario
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,438
    Pick A Brick has so rarely had what I needed that I stopped checking it. It made no sense why these were separate, so I’m glad to see them merged. Even better news is the MUCH faster shipping times! I’ve placed 3 B&P orders since Christmas and have no idea if they’ll arrive before the end of January or into February. Getting them in a week would be great! I didn’t mind price differences between colors and didn’t see that as an issue though. I would be nice if there was a way to save a list so I don’t lose the whole order if my browser crashes…but I won’t hold my breath.
    They were different because it's a different team that is dealing with it (CS in Billund for B&P, as an extra service besides their part replacement task), and a semi-automated warehouse in Poland for PaB.

These services will now merge on the front-end, but the backend will still be different AND be dealt with by the same teams. Yes, there will be a new US warehouse. For the top 1600 parts. I.e. the existing PaB service. Current B&P parts will still ship from Billund.

That is also reflected by the different conditions that apply. It's touched on in the Brickset article, but without details. As usual we can find those on StoneWars: EUR 3 shipping cost for orders under EUR 12 for Bestseller (PaB),  EUR 6 shipping cost for orders under EUR 12 for Standard (B&P).

TL;DR The front-end merges, which is great so you don't need to look on 2 sites anymore. PaB also usually has fewer technical issues than B&P.
    Other plus: a new US warehouse for PaB, and online BaM.
    Otherwise: sounds pretty much the same as what we have today.
  • sonatine01sonatine01 Daventry, EnglandMember Posts: 751
    pxchris said:
    I think that in the long run this could be a very good development, but I am absolutely sure it's going to be a rough transition getting there.

(Just placed a B&P order yesterday... hoping I'll get another in before the change, if those pesky squirrels come in stock).
    Not trying to take the p#ss but I managed to order some squirrels a couple of days ago on B&P. Do you ring or do it online ? Or maybe it’s just a UK/US stock issue ?

Anyway I’m wary of the change but then I’m old and set in my ways, so hey….
    560Heliport
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,802
    Heck, I didn't even know about BnP until I joined Brickset! It's not obvious on Lego.com that going to "replacement parts" lets you buy pieces- in addition to replacing missing or broken parts.
    pxchrisMarshallmario
  • Lo1sJessLo1sJess Alexandria, VirginiaMember Posts: 109
    @560Heliport me too.  I think I’ve placed 9-10 orders since finding out in October!
    560HeliportSwitchfoot55pxchris
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,511
    ^Definitely a slippery slope, Lo1s!
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,712
    Not trying to take the p#ss but I managed to order some squirrels a couple of days ago on B&P. Do you ring or do it online ? Or maybe it’s just a UK/US stock issue ?
    As far as I've seen, the squirrels have yet to come in stock in the US, unless they were in stock for a very short window and then back out again (which is definitely a possibility). I do all of my B&P orders online.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,285
    A bunch of new parts appeared as in stock yesterday, not the animals though. But I think this merger is a long time coming, but I worry about stock availability. I do not like the idea of stuff taking 6 months to get to me. I do not think this will hurt BL sellers as most of their prices now seem fixed around B+P prices these days. eBay sellers (that I have noticed) on the other hand seem to charge more for their parts.
    Switchfoot55sonatine01
  • Lo1sJessLo1sJess Alexandria, VirginiaMember Posts: 109
    @madforLEGO
    Amazon (third party or whatever they are called) has some high prices as well!  $5.95 plus shipping for 10 1x2 bricks in regular colors and such.
    @pxchris yeah I always order any animals by phone. They show out of stock online but if you ring they’re often in stock and you’ll be able to buy them. Again stock can be different between countries but all the animals were out of stock online in the UK but in stock by phone.
    drdavewatford
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 658
    BnP orders all come from Billund, so in theory, if they are in that warehouse, they should be available for everyone.  Or I could be totally off base.  Wouldn't be the first time.
    I’m sure parts have been in stock in the US when not in the UK, at least online anyway. Maybe they’re available worldwide (where they are sold) at the same time when placing an order by phone but I presumed Lego staggered the release of parts in countries to help with supplying the demand for them. 

Like you though I could be completely wrong as I have zero evidence for any of this lol.
    It may be that the parts go out of stock quick. So when a US user sees them, they say they are available. But an hour or two later, they are out of stock when a UK buyer looks. I get stock alerts for some parts, and sometimes the in stock and out of stock emails are separated by 15 minutes or so. And the in stock ones are usually about 2am UK time, presumably the restock time.
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 1,015
    Yes, I blame Brickset for discovering BnP. I easily spend more money on there than on sets on [email protected] 

I managed to place an order 2 days ago for some new January parts including 2 different squirrel colours (Switzerland). There were so many amazing new parts and recolours I'm afraid to even say how much I spent and that was still limiting myself!!!!!! 😂😂😂😂
    Cymbelinegratefulnat
  • PDelahantyPDelahanty Northern CaliforniaMember Posts: 123
    CCC said:
    I get stock alerts for some parts, and sometimes the in stock and out of stock emails are separated by 15 minutes or so.
    How are you getting stock alerts for parts?
    canon03Switchfoot55NicksBricks